Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Old 31-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
"He's out of contract - there ARE no wages"

Seen this appear on nearly every thread where we are linked to a player on a free transfer/out of contract and fed up of seeing it.

It's total nonsense, just because a player has finished his 60k a week contract and now isn't earning anything you think he will take whatever peanuts someone will throw their way???

Let me put it another way, say you have been earning 60k a year working for a big firm for many, many years and then one day you leave that company. Another much smaller company come knocking and say, please come do exactly the same job for us - it will probably be harder and you won't get as much attention as you were before. We will pay you 20k a year. Would you take the job???

The above also doesn't take into account that you no other offers of anything better OR that you don't need the money - but on the premise we are talking about a footballer earning 60k a week for god knows how many years is extremely unlikely to need it, is he?

Last edited by Shipp Ahoy!; 31-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:09 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! View Post
Seen this appear on nearly every thread where we are linked to a player on a free transfer/out of contract and fed up of seeing it.

It's total nonsense, just because a player has finished his 60k a week contract and now isn't earning anything you think he will take whatever peanuts someone will throw their way???

Let me put it another way, say you have been earning 60k a year working for a big firm for many, many years and then one day you leave that company. Another much smaller company come knocking and say, please come do exactly the same job for us - it will probably be harder and you won't get as much attention as you were before. We will pay you 20k a year. Would you take the job???

Admittedly the above does take into account that you either have no other offers of anything better OR that you don't need the money - but on the premise we are talking about a footballer earning 60k a week for god knows how many years is extremely unlikely to need it is he?
Erm yes he will need the money. Most footballers live lifesyles that match their income, and have a very short career. In that time despite tax of 45% they need to set themselves up for life.

So yes if you offer them 10k a week (or half a million over the year) they would be silly not to take it and earn nothing.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Concession/Adult

9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Football is a whole different world to a working one though! It's about playing football that matters, I'd take a 40k a week to drop and still earn 20k if it meant I could still be playing in the best league in the world.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:10 PM

cockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is here
You really need to think through your logic. There are many holes in it.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:11 PM

plectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think you are talking about Gallas and my comment - so perhaps put it in that thread?

He signed his contract with Spurs when he was younger and it hasnt been renewed and no-one has come in for him. It's like you are 65 and for your career you made a salary of 60k per yr but now you are 65 not 45.

You think clubs just acquiesce to players?

If Gallas wants to keep earning 60k etc then it is possible but it means playing in China or Qatar etc.

I do not see any PL or Chmpship club paying him 60k per week wages. May be wrong but nowhere near. It may well be that he is beyond us but I would be surprised if he manages to get anything more than 35k pw.

All clubs are moving towards FFP.

Benteke will never start scoring regularly again and Wickham wont play and perform at top level again.

(living in hope!)

**** it whilst we are at it; we wont qualify for Europe this season 18/19
Old 31-07-2013, 01:13 PM

Andrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Doesn't mean he won't want it just because he doesn't need it.

It's a more likely scenario if said person is made redundant rather than leaves of his own accord.

Said person will still have outgoings and they are likely to be expensive due to the wage he has been earning.

In some cases players will not have better offers and it's entirely likely they will have to take a pay cut. Especially if said player is older and coming towards the end of his career.

I don't think it's unlikely for a player in his early 30's who has been released from his club to accept a drop in wages.

He maybe offered higher wages elsewhere, but you have to take in to account if the club offering those higher wages are based far away. Uprooting his family might not be appealing, regardless of the increase in wage.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:15 PM

plectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
On top of this - listening to a Parish interview yesterday - just by being in the PL this year puts us in the top 30 highest turnover clubs. So there are only a small handful of clubs that can compete for a player like Gallas if he wants high wages and out of all those it depends if there is a need for him, a space in the first 19 i.e. team and bench.

I think this reduces the number down to perhaps less than 5 clubs across all of Europe and then it comes down to how many of those 5 actually see him as the right solution, the fit.

Benteke will never start scoring regularly again and Wickham wont play and perform at top level again.

(living in hope!)

Old 31-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by plectrum View Post
I think you are talking about Gallas and my comment - so perhaps put it in that thread?

He signed his contract with Spurs when he was younger and it hasnt been renewed and no-one has come in for him. It's like you are 65 and for your career you made a salary of 60k per yr but now you are 65 not 45.

You think clubs just acquiesce to players?

If Gallas wants to keep earning 60k etc then it is possible but it means playing in China or Qatar etc.

I do not see any PL or Chmpship club paying him 60k per week wages. May be wrong but nowhere near. It may well be that he is beyond us but I would be surprised if he manages to get anything more than 35k pw.

All clubs are moving towards FFP.
It did spring from that, but didn't want to target you specifically as I have seen it appear elsewhere.

I was interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this subject which is why I started a new thread

Already some interesting and good points being made.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:18 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

The above also doesn't take into account that you no other offers of anything better OR that you don't need the money - but on the premise we are talking about a footballer earning 60k a week for god knows how many years is extremely unlikely to need it, is he?
Sorry your logic is way off, its a short career as a player you will earn the high salary for a few years, but eventually you will lose it to maximise your earnings in the career you can continue to play and earn at a lower rate. Its dependent on who is prepared to offer you the most to play in the twilight of the career, and whether your prepared to accept it and if your prepared to play at a lower level. Some will not but many others will.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:19 PM

chav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Really wish people would stop with this bullshit about how they 'need' to set themselves up for life. There is nothing stopping a footballer from getting a proper job after they have finished playing, or staying in the game somehow. Testimonials piss me off for exactly this reason - there is absolutely no purpose in them nowadays whatsoever above, say, League 2 level.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Andrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrews69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chav_hater View Post
Really wish people would stop with this bullshit about how they 'need' to set themselves up for life. There is nothing stopping a footballer from getting a proper job after they have finished playing, or staying in the game somehow. Testimonials piss me off for exactly this reason - there is absolutely no purpose in them nowadays whatsoever above, say, League 2 level.
Majority of high profile footballers give Testimonial money to charity. I see no harm in them. It's the fans chance to show appreciation to a worthy member of their club. More so now than ever before I'd say.

I take your point about footballers getting normal jobs though. Having said that it is difficult in this economic climate for people with relevant skills, let alone those who kick a ball around for 15-20 years...
Old 31-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Millsie02

Gallas was at Chelsea - I doubt that would have been a 'cheap' wage, then really threw his toys out of his pram to get a move to Arsenal when he was a big player (most definitely not going to be cheap!) where he was for 4 years, before rocking up at Spurs on a free transfer - this time reportedly on 60k a week (and god knows what signing on fee) where he has been for 3 seasons.

Anyone thinking he hasn't earned a ridiculous wage in that time needs there heads looking at.

Just how much money can one actually spend in that time? I understand that people with more money will live life on a higher budget and spend far more than the norm. But these people generally can buy things outright and if they live with a sensible philosophy will still have shed loads of cash in the bank.

If anything also having a much higher outgoing would surely make it less likely he will accept a contract tying him to a low wage.

On the subject of him playing in the PL, considering his situation at Chelsea - Arsenal where he made it very clear he wanted to move and for a big pay cheque I would be more surprised if he was interested in playing at a certain level or club rather than a much fatter pay packet. At 35 and on his last pay day I'd be astounded if he decided to choose a relegation threatened football club on 20k a week over a 50k/60k last pay day anywhere else.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Every player is different with different liabilities ie some may have invested wisely and never need to work again, So are not under any pressure and others may need to earn a certain minimum to cover liabilities , Obviously clubs may not match their demands but you cannot blame them for trying to get the best they can .
I think signing a player on a wage that does not cover their bills/liabilities is not good for their form or the club and it is good that players like Cole have turned Palace's offer down.

Last edited by racehorse-80s; 31-07-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Millsie02

My point in the original post stands, if you had been earning 60k and then a month or two later were offered 20k to do the same job at a lesser company would you do it?

Considering your CV, I'd be amazed if anyone after a month or so would - unless they were in major financial need for it.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav_hater View Post
There is nothing stopping a footballer from getting a proper job after they have finished playing.
Many are dumb as ****? Not really their fault considering from about 8 yrs old they've focused on sport as opposed to academia and certainly from ~ puberty i.e. when they really start thinking for themselves somewhat i doubt they've bothered to study at all anything aside from football.

Being a footballer does have its downsides - could you imagine earning 2k per week let alone 60k per week for say 4-5 yrs 28-33 and then having the realisation that your not really fit for much aside from being a cashier etc on 6ph but you have somewhere between 35-50 years left on the planet.

(living in hope!)

Old 31-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
My point in the original post stands, if you had been earning 60k and then a month or two later were offered 20k to do the same job at a lesser company would you do it?

Considering your CV, I'd be amazed if anyone after a month or so would - unless they were in major financial need for it.
Or earn 0 a week unemployed for x amount of weeks. I was unemployed for a few months and when I did take a job, I took it for less money as that was all they were offering. There will be loads of unemployed footballers in a month or two and they will need to drop their demands really quickly if they want to continue playing and earn a salary.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Mate it really doesn't

If you finished a 60k contract that was agreed 2-3 yrs earlier when situation was vastly more favourable than today and this was something you were acutely aware of then there would be the realisation that perhaps 20k to continue int eh same area of the industry and similar conditions and same area of the country whilst still for loads of cash is something most I am sure would consider.

Imagine you were a banker and JP Morgan let you go and you had the opportunity of working for Barclays Capital for 20k per week or the other offers were to live in Qatar or deepest darkest freezing cold Russia or some province in China.

Its not always about money.

Gallas LOVES London.

(living in hope!)

Old 31-07-2013, 01:36 PM

cockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is here
Quote:
This point has no relevance. If 20k is the best he can get, then his choice is take it or leave it (and retire).

If I were to take a sabbatical, I'm not retired. On the contrary, and have a chance to reskill.

Think on.
Old 31-07-2013, 01:37 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

This is not the normal world you have a skill that you are capable of using for a limted time and unlike many in the workplace you get worse at the job as you get older I dont expect him to accept 20K if he can get 50K a week. However he is not now that player with the ability nor does he represent any recovery in a future transfer fee, only the insane or Harry Redknapp would be likely to offer him 50K a week given his age and abliity. That said he has experience and ability that may well be worth 20K a week for a year to us or another side, and add another few quid to the retirement fund for himself
Old 31-07-2013, 01:46 PM

chav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by plectrum View Post
Many are dumb as ****? Not really their fault considering from about 8 yrs old they've focused on sport as opposed to academia and certainly from ~ puberty i.e. when they really start thinking for themselves somewhat i doubt they've bothered to study at all anything aside from football.

Being a footballer does have its downsides - could you imagine earning 2k per week let alone 60k per week for say 4-5 yrs 28-33 and then having the realisation that your not really fit for much aside from being a cashier etc on 6ph but you have somewhere between 35-50 years left on the planet.
A labourer hardly has a PhD does he? Look at Neil Shipperley or John Sitton - both cabbies now.

Maybe if the wages weren't so stupidly high in the first place they wouldn't chase the pot of money when they were teenagers and neglect academics. I think clubs are more proactive than players in that respect, although I'm happy to be corrected.