Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: Left Back
Clint Hill (2010) 31 13.19%
David Wright (2010-2013) 1 0.43%
Dean Moxey (2011-2014) 7 2.98%
Jonathan Parr (2011-2014) 17 7.23%
Martin Kelly (2014-2019) 3 1.28%
Pape Souare (2015-2016) 5 2.13%
Patrick van Aanholt (2017-2019) 168 71.49%
Jeffrey Schlupp (2017-2019) 0 0%
Other-please state in replies 3 1.28%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 PM

Palace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace Team of the Decade - Left Back

Inspired by Baffled Bob’s thread in Memory Lane and by Woosie’s Athletic article. This is the BBS Team of the Decade, as voted by you.

There’s question marks over how people should vote: It could be your favourite player, the player you think was best, the biggest impact, longevity etc. I think it should be down to you.

The time frame includes the second half of the 2009-2010 season (Hillsborough) all the way through to the first half of this season. Votes should only be cast based on this decade. For example if players played in both this and the last decade, base your decision on what they did in this one.

Formation is 4-2-3-1. There shall be players who will feature in multiple polls due to their versatility or just the fact they changed position during their career.

Here is the team so far:

Julian Speroni
Joel Ward - ??? - ??? - ???
??? - ???
??? - ??? - ???
???

SUBS: Vicente Guaita, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???

Next up is left back! I imagine this one will be more difficult. As we’ve voted for Ward for right back he won’t be available for the left back spot. It leaves us with options which will be difficult to choose from (for me anyway), and not for good reasons!
Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Jordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Very difficult this one, Pape Souare is what could've been. Fantastic player, probably would've been the best on the list talent wise but unfortunately wasn't to be. Its Dean Moxey vs PVA for me. There's Dean Moxey with his playoff exploits especially against Brighton vs PVA's goal scoring exploits which arguably kept us up last season. Difficult one this...

I am going to go for Patrick Van Aanholt on this one
Hey you, out there beyond the wall
Breaking bottles in the hall
Can you help me?
Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all
Together we stand, divided we fall

Last edited by Jordan555x; 01-12-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Not a position where we have been particularly blessed.

PVA by default.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:24 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Moxey, Hill and Parr laid everything on the line for us, but despite his defensive brain farts got to go with PVA.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Palace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My analysis-

You could vote Hill for what he did in the second half of his last season. It gives him contender status for this poll I think. He was a warrior and is one of the reasons we’re a club today. But can you vote for him based on one half of a season in a team of the decade? I’m not sure.

Moxey is an underrated pick. He got a lot of stick on this site in his first season and a half or so. But really pulled it out the bag and improved a LOT in the promotion season and played a decent part in our first PL season.

Parr was probably better than Moxey and a fan favourite, I don’t personally think he deserved to win POTY but hey ho. While I think Moxey was underrated, I think Parr was a bit overrated, but still a good player.

Souare played really well in our FA cup season, if he never got that injury from the car crash, he would’ve been our left back for years to come.

PVA is probably going to be the winner for me, he’s the best left back on the list in my opinion. He’s been here for a couple years now. He has his downfalls but I think you can tell that he really cares.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:36 PM
The Stockton SLAP

STOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Probs PVA by default - and just number of appearances..
"You should be ashamed. You’re now so boujee you complain about Watford being horrible. Be proud of what palace are - blue collar, tough south London club. Never forget what you are." - Damien Delaney 16/03/2019
Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Nuclear Member

Selhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is here
Very interesting to look back over the pazt decade and it seems to me that we have never been that strong at LB. Of those listed, I would go for PVA.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Compared to our embarrassment of riches at right-back, we seem to have been particularly under-served at left-back.

I'm going for PVA, as he's the glue that holds our defence together.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is here
For lack of a left-footed Ward-esque stalwart who played for us across the whole decade, and whose contribution can be measured in a few different ways, I come down to my default position of who has entertained me the most and who I think is the best player. PVA easily wins both categories.

Football is about goals, unscripted entertainment and witnessing the unexpected. Defending is a necessary evil but, for want of a more respectful word, boring. PVA understands this completely and I've enjoyed few sights more over the last few years than him recklessly abandoning his defensive post, galloping down the left-wing and finishing with aplomb (before weirdly celebrating like a West Ham player...). Frankly, during a period where we have so few reliable finishers and regular goal-scorers, this has been very important.

Whilst many allow themselves to be triggered by his defensive lapses, my first thoughts when I think of PVA are the times he's made me jump up with celebration after scoring a goal where those ahead of him may have fluffed their lines.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM

wrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Loved hill played with his heart but as a player pva different level
Old 01-12-2019, 05:33 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
I think we looked most solid in the left back position when Ward played there, even if he offered / offers way less than PVA going forward. Since Ward has been voted our best RB ( still not sure how AWB didn't win that ) then I guess it's not right to vote for Ward as our LB. Just wish we could all agree whether we are talking pure ability or career contribution in general or, in this case of defenders, whether we are talking best pure defender or best in terms of defending and attacking. Since PVA is a real threat going forward, I voted him. He seems committed to the cause too.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
I think we looked most solid in the left back position when Ward played there, even if he offered / offers way less than PVA going forward. Since Ward has been voted our best RB ( still not sure how AWB didn't win that ) then I guess it's not right to vote for Ward as our LB. Just wish we could all agree whether we are talking pure ability or career contribution in general or, in this case of defenders, whether we are talking best pure defender or best in terms of defending and attacking. Since PVA is a real threat going forward, I voted him. He seems committed to the cause too.
Do you reckon that’d work in politics? Just wish we could all agree on how we should vote!

My personal opinion of a team of the decade that it’s about contribution, loyalty along with a bit of quality.

If Ward was rubbish but still played for all them years, he wouldn’t get my vote. AWB jumped ship at the first chance he got, you could say he’s probably been our best ever right back, but that doesn’t beat Wards loyalty to me.

I was reading through the old thread for the the noughties right back, there was a similar debate in regards to Boyce and Butterfield, funnily enough Boyce won that one. So quality won over loyalty last decade.

Last edited by Palace43; 01-12-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
PvA for me. Souare is what could have been and most of the others didn't play for us at the level he does in the Premier League. It's almost a default choice really
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:56 PM

old traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan555x View Post
Very difficult this one, Pape Souare is what could've been. Fantastic player, probably would've been the best on the list talent wise but unfortunately wasn't to be. Its Dean Moxey vs PVA for me. There's Dean Moxey with his playoff exploits especially against Brighton vs PVA's goal scoring exploits which arguably kept us up last season. Difficult one this...

I am going to go for Patrick Van Aanholt on this one
Both good at going forward, but as we are talking about a defensive position, then Clint hill was easily the best out of the list, not a "pretty" player, but not much got pass him
Old 01-12-2019, 05:59 PM

old traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace43 View Post
My analysis-

You could vote Hill for what he did in the second half of his last season. It gives him contender status for this poll I think. He was a warrior and is one of the reasons we’re a club today. But can you vote for him based on one half of a season in a team of the decade? I’m not sure.

Moxey is an underrated pick. He got a lot of stick on this site in his first season and a half or so. But really pulled it out the bag and improved a LOT in the promotion season and played a decent part in our first PL season.

Parr was probably better than Moxey and a fan favourite, I don’t personally think he deserved to win POTY but hey ho. While I think Moxey was underrated, I think Parr was a bit overrated, but still a good player.

Souare played really well in our FA cup season, if he never got that injury from the car crash, he would’ve been our left back for years to come.

PVA is probably going to be the winner for me, he’s the best left back on the list in my opinion. He’s been here for a couple years now. He has his downfalls but I think you can tell that he really cares.
How can he be our best left back then most goals scored against us are the result of his mistakes and terrible possioning
Old 01-12-2019, 06:03 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Clint Hill for me. The attitude he showed on the pitch(along with a few others) is what kept us up in 2010. Right man for the time and his influence vital.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:03 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
PVA by a mile. And not just 'by default' but because he is a good left back and the best we've had in my time watching the club (Cole was excellent on loan but at the start of his career and in the second tier).

I think we might find him difficult to replace whenever he moves on. Good Premier League left backs are a rare thing.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 01-12-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:06 PM
He's got flair and hair

Palace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Van Arnholt definitely the most talented but can be very frustrating at times for me as he lacks positional sense and concentration.
Due to his involvement at Hillsborough and his full bloodied contribution at all times I’ve gone Clint Hill.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Heart = Hill

Head = PVA

Souare was shit.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:13 PM

Jughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
PVA. Great player one of our best PL signings.