Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 06-01-2019, 08:08 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
An E.L.O Appreciation Thread.

My older brother used to bring home loads of albums from a record shop down Thornton Heath High Street and I'd study the covers.
I remember Tubular Bells in particular but he got our mum to take it back for a refund because it was shit and he didn't like asking.
One album he brought home though I was obsessed with - A New World Record. It looked like a Wurlitzer machine. Subsequent album covers had spaceships.
One of theirs was a particular fave of his (probably due to him splitting up with yet another girlfriend or somesuch) and mine was this...

Yours?

Last edited by Coastal Palace; 06-01-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
If asked I usually say The Smiths got me into music as a 14 year old. In truth the first song I really fell in love with was 'Mr. Blue Sky' as a 10 year old &still love it 40 years on.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
If asked I usually say The Smiths got me into music as a 14 year old. In truth the first song I really fell in love with was 'Mr. Blue Sky' as a 10 year old &still love it 40 years on.

Same here.
We had a kid at school (Norbury Manor) who was an ELO fanatic. I used to buy coloured vinyl records off him and Mr Blue Sky was one.
Sky blue in colour natch.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:32 AM

*in a robot voice - please turn me over.
Love it.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:40 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Mr Blue Sky is truely a work of genius. Never tire hearing it.

E.L.O’s music has most definitely stood the test of time. I’ve got huge respect for Jeff Lynne. Such an unassuming guy.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 05-04-2019, 04:20 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Touring last year weren’t they?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:34 AM
I’m a bear in Madrid

nibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I love ELO.
I think this song deserves more recognition.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 AM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
ELO, They were on a different planet (literally) with their amazingly different and stunning music which was so advanced for that time but still sounds fab even today, just like Pink Floyd and albums like "Wish You Were Here" and Dark Side of the Moon.
An ELO fan then and i still am 40 odd years later, class never fades like their music.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:45 AM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Great band. Lets not forget to mention Roy Wood.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.

Only people with their own hair, need to apply.

Hell is coming to breakfast.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 AM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
You just did.

Love ELO: Jungle is my favourite track (on Out of the Blue) as Mickus well knows! Discovery probably my favourite album of theirs.

Still don't get the Secret Messages album though, give it a spin every now and again - always come away thinking it's not even the same band.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:03 PM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember seeing ELO play at the Greyhound in Croydon back in the day.My memory could be dodgy but it could have been straight after I saw David Bowie's early show at the Fairfield Halls earlier the same day.

Did anyone else on here go to either of those?
Old 05-04-2019, 01:09 PM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Great band.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:28 PM
User

ulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineulysses : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Xanadu with Olivia Newton-John is an absolute stonker of a song.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:44 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Went to see them around 1982 out here in Los Angeles in some no-name small theater which I haven't a clue today where it was. Pretty sparse crowd even in the small venue, and probably mostly ex-pat Brits to boot.

They still put on a great show, complete with special effects (or back drop visuals actually).

Other than that I can't remember much about it.... Saw OMD a few weeks later in similar circumstances, so I'm getting them a bit mixed up in the old memory bank!
Old 05-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Significant Udder

Direwolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDirewolf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle2 View Post
I remember seeing ELO play at the Greyhound in Croydon back in the day.My memory could be dodgy but it could have been straight after I saw David Bowie's early show at the Fairfield Halls earlier the same day.

Did anyone else on here go to either of those?
I remember seeing them at Fairfield Halls before they really took off. I think the only hit I remember was 10538 Overture.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:05 AM

StonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Got tix to see them in Washington in July. Shows on the tour to date get rave reviews.
Old 20-04-2019, 04:50 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
The move I can hear the grass grow. Most excellent!

SaulAlinsky
Old 20-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Anneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnneseagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw them at Wembley in 78, fantastic show. I remember Tony Curtis introduced them.
Old 20-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneseagles View Post
Saw them at Wembley in 78, fantastic show. I remember Tony Curtis introduced them.
I was there for that. Amazing band. I managed to catch Bev Bevan's tambourine when he threw it into the audience.
Old 20-04-2019, 09:59 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
It’s Livin Thing for me - although I love most of their tracks.

The reason - picture the scene, Palace v Brighton, early December 1976, FA Cup 1st Round, 2nd Replay at Stamford Bridge - one of the most controversial games between the clubs - their was a simmering rivalry before this match, but this was probably the one that sealed the deal, especially after Mullery’s outburst at the end.

Anyway, Livin Thing came on the Tannoy at Half Time, much of the Palace support standing in the pissing rain in the mainly uncovered North Stand (where the Matthew Harding Stand now is) - the lyrics seemed so, so apt! Especially after the Ref disallowed their penalty for an ‘encroachment’ by our own Jim Cannon and they missed the re-take.