Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
I work a 12 hr shift with 2 half hour break, one paid, one not. Weekends its a 9 hr shift same breaks. And yes, I am constantly on the go.
I see my missus once a month. I am currently sitting in the airport, I will get home about 4pm and I will be back at the airport to come back at approx 12.30 pm on Wednesday. Not much downtime. I dont whinge anywhere near some of the nancyboy office wankers.
Shit conditions.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
The problem I see with this is that many of the clients/customers need you to be there 5 days a week this is what they expect retail/call centres/ services so even if you worked 4 days a week then the business would need to hire people to cover the shortfall pushing costs up.

Maybe all these companies where you think you can do your job in 4 standard days need to cut their staff by 20%
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 09-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Presumably that is a matter of personal choice ; choice where you choose to live, choice where you choose to work, and choice how you choose to get there.
Obvious statements that don’t respond to the points being made.

I think you find most people probably have a commute of two hours, and that is not based on a dream job with the dream place of living. So the comment that its 8/8/8 for work rest and play is not accurate, especially as alot of people work more than 8 hours a day. (In my industry the standard is 12 before regular forced overtime)

Are we really existing as a human being to have only 6-7 (based on the 8/8/8 idea minus travel time) hours a day, to enjoy, learn, improve ourselves?

The idea that everyone has to work 5 days and week and 8 hours a day is conditioned in our minds since school, is just how society is, that doesnt mean that is the only way to live. With automation and raising populations there will be alot more free time as there just wont be the jobs. Unless you make some up so people ‘arn’t lazy’. Better to encourage people to learn improve and help others...
Old 09-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicmo View Post
I'll have some of what this fella's on........Fantasy world
Explain further why you think so? You don’t think I wrote this happy to debate what Im talking about.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
I think you find most people probably have a commute of two hours, ...
This seems highly unlikely. Have you any data? ONS figures show the average daily journey to work as being under one hour.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
This seems highly unlikely. Have you any data? ONS figures show the average daily journey to work as being under one hour.
Presumably they have to get home too?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Less than one hour combined? There and back door to door?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Untapped potential....

DAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDAWSYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Shit conditions.
Yup. The bloke has terrible working conditions and seeks to boast about
Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM

Sodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
I work a 12 hr shift with 2 half hour break, one paid, one not. Weekends its a 9 hr shift same breaks. And yes, I am constantly on the go.
I see my missus once a month. I am currently sitting in the airport, I will get home about 4pm and I will be back at the airport to come back at approx 12.30 pm on Wednesday. Not much downtime. I dont whinge anywhere near some of the nancyboy office wankers.
That's your choice
Old 09-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWSYEAGLE View Post
Yup. The bloke has terrible working conditions and seeks to boast about
If he is thinking he is winning because he ‘see’s his missus twice a month’ and is always on the road then more power too him. The drone is happy being a drone.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
If he is thinking he is winning because he ‘see’s his missus twice a month’ and is always on the road then more power too him. The drone is happy being a drone.

He said once a month.

It seems a really bleak situation.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:59 PM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
So nobody watching our u23's vs Leeds at the moment?

Priorities
Old 09-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Presumably they have to get home too?
Yes, I presume so. So all that time to wind down.

(I try to commute as much as possible on a motorcycle; absolutely love my commute).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Obvious statements that don’t respond to the points being made.

I think you find most people probably have a commute of two hours, and that is not based on a dream job with the dream place of living. So the comment that its 8/8/8 for work rest and play is not accurate, especially as alot of people work more than 8 hours a day. (In my industry the standard is 12 before regular forced overtime)

Are we really existing as a human being to have only 6-7 (based on the 8/8/8 idea minus travel time) hours a day, to enjoy, learn, improve ourselves?

The idea that everyone has to work 5 days and week and 8 hours a day is conditioned in our minds since school, is just how society is, that doesnt mean that is the only way to live. With automation and raising populations there will be alot more free time as there just wont be the jobs. Unless you make some up so people ‘arn’t lazy’. Better to encourage people to learn improve and help others...
Did anyone on here say ‘everyone has to work 5 days, 8 hours’?

Obviously there are already loads of jobs that don’t fit that pattern. Businesses already do that when it suits the nature of their job and their client base.

What many of us have been saying is that it’s unrealistic for many jobs to fit a 4 day pattern, because the very nature of that role requires the person to be present during certain core hours.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes, I presume so. So all that time to wind down.

(I try to commute as much as possible on a motorcycle; absolutely love my commute).
I enjoy my commute too and certainly wouldn't count it as part of my working day.

I suppose if I felt like a sardine on the tube during rush hour I might be more inclined to add it to my working day.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
You'd be wrong. Of course.

In fact, I have had very many conversations with people who earn a lot less than minimum wage.

Not too sure of why this is at all relevant to the point you were trying to make.

Oh yes, have just noticed you have actually yet to make any cogent point ; just tiresomely sniping from the sidelines.
When I referred to conversations and exchanges with people on minimum wage or London Living wage I did mean 'within the UK' because I assume this thread is all about workers in the UK. I hope that the many people you have conversations with and who earn a lot less than the minimum wage are not based in the UK. If they are, perhaps you should name and shame the employers.

I'm sorry that I haven't made my point clearly enough for you, so I'll try again.

To talk about 'choice' is of no relevance to people who, in practical terms, do not have much of a choice. For example, your suggestion that people have a choice about where they work and live is true in theory but not in practice for e.g. someone who might be doing two or three part-time minimum wage jobs to provide a basic living for him/herself and family. To tell such people, and there are many of them, that they have a 'choice' is - well, distasteful. To me at least.

The relevance of 'choice' depends to quite a large extent on wealth and your glib statement ignored that.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Low View Post
To talk about 'choice' is of no relevance to people who, in practical terms, do not have much of a choice. For example, your suggestion that people have a choice about where they work and live is true in theory but not in practice for e.g. someone who might be doing two or three part-time minimum wage jobs to provide a basic living for him/herself and family. To tell such people, and there are many of them, that they have a 'choice' is - well, distasteful. To me at least.
I don't disagree with the first bit ; never did. But that's a narrow slice.

As for me telling anyone anything, I am simply posting a view, not broadcasting to the nation. Get off the high horse, chum ; you look a bit silly up there.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Did anyone on here say ‘everyone has to work 5 days, 8 hours’?

Obviously there are already loads of jobs that don’t fit that pattern. Businesses already do that when it suits the nature of their job and their client base.

What many of us have been saying is that it’s unrealistic for many jobs to fit a 4 day pattern, because the very nature of that role requires the person to be present during certain core hours.
The job that require staff during ‘core hours’ must be services, why can’t other staff cover?

Another point is why does everything have to be open all the time?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:09 PM
No Self Control

catty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I work 4 14 hour shifts a week and have 3 days off. We are extremely busy at the moment with more service users (who are in the service 24 hours a day) than for a couple of years. None of the core staff are allowed to work more than the 4 long days so we have to rely on agency staff who don’t know the service. We would all work an extra 7 hours each week to reduce this, not for the money but because we are dedicated to the service, but we aren’t allowed. The effectively compulsory 4 day week has a negative effect on the unit, staff and residents.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I don't disagree with the first bit ; never did. But that's a narrow slice.

As for me telling anyone anything, I am simply posting a view, not broadcasting to the nation. Get off the high horse, chum ; you look a bit silly up there.
Having looked back I can see that you did not tell anyone anything. You simply made an observation that 'presumably' they have a choice, about where they live and work. Clearly you were not aware that many have no such choice, in realistic, practical terms but I'm pleased that you are now aware.