Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 24-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
A lot better than the one in the Guardian.
Old 24-12-2002, 11:07 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
The Andy Gilchrist thing is symptomatic of his influence, certainly on the likes of me. Billy Bragg said yesterday that Punk's claim on politics was all down to Joe Strummer; that Punk wasn't political without The Clash and that The Clash weren't political without Joe Strummer. I don't think anyone would claim that his views were all that coherent but he opened the door to the other side for loads of us. It was great that in all the puny, f uckwit TV obits yesterday the empty vessel grinning presenters didn't have a clue how to deal with him. When Lennon died they could lean on both Love Me Do etc. and Double Fantasy but Joe didn't give them that crutch.
Old 24-12-2002, 11:40 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by willythesqueeze
The Clash gig in Purley (was it Tiffany's? - memory fading with age) will go down as one of my favourites of all time, especially with the Slits supporting. I haven't followed his career much post-Clash but for the massive influence in my teens... a big CHEERS. A sad day indeed.
Yeah it was Tiffany's - I was at that one too. One of the best gigs I ever saw...

For me, they were the best of all the punk bands, none of the Pistols cynicism or the Jam's po-faced earnestness, and the heart of them was Strummer. He made a difference.
Old 26-12-2002, 11:02 AM
BPR'n'B

eagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhinoeagle.hu is game warden to the rep rhino
Does anybody out there know something about Paul Simonon, the bassist of The Clash? Did he say something these sad days?
Old 27-12-2002, 12:01 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I've only ever owned the debut album and London Calling, and a bunch of the singles, but The Clash, and Mr Strummer, were hugely significant in my late teens.
I was lucky enough to be in a band that supported The Clash on the 'Sixteen Tons' Tour, which I guess would have been around 1979.
My abiding memory of that experience was the way in which Strummer, and Jones, made us feel welcome to their world.

We were wet behind the ears kids, and they were already huge stars, a good few years older than us, and needn't have bothered, but they did.
We were well looked after, off and on stage, and treated like human beings, as I understand Strummer tried to treat most he came in contact with.
Funnily enough, years later, Topper shared a flat with our bass player, in Brixton, but thats a whole other, less savoury, story.

I could raise a glass to Joe Strummer for being an outstanding songwriter, or an electric performer, or as a man who fought hard to stick to his principles, but for me, it's as a really decent man, who made me feel like I counted, when I was just some teenage oik with a guitar and a desire to get on a stage and play it.

God rest you John Mellor, you are a legend in my house.
Old 30-12-2002, 10:37 AM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer
I have just seen this thread.

I am no great music fan and he was before my time but The Clash was one band whose records I bought in my days. I still like their stuff.

Reading his obituaries, Joe Strummer seems to have been a very confused man (I suppose we all are)- eg he read the Daily Trelegraph.

Despite his suspect political views he appears to have been a fundamentally decent bloke and his death is obviously a great loss to all those he has influenced in a positive way.
Old 31-12-2002, 03:16 PM
Self Portrait

g23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldg23 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
Just thought I'd mention that the new issue of Uncut magazine is a Clash special (coincidentally). 17 pages of history, comment etc. Haven't read it yet, but they're usually pretty good at giving neophytes an introduction, and old hands something to argue about.
Old 31-12-2002, 03:39 PM

Axie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farAxie stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that far
I've just got that edition at lunchtime, looks like it went to press prior to his death as it mentions that they are now 'almost certain' to perform white riot when the clash are inducted into the hall of fame in march.
Old 31-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Axie
when the clash are inducted into the hall of fame in march.
Thank christ and all the angels that never happened.
Old 13-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Thank christ and all the angels that never happened.
They swooped down and killed the singer to make sure of it.
Old 17-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Dortmunder

Location: Sometimes Marienthal , sometimes the SudTribune, sometimes A-Block, mostly Selhurst
BVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
JOE STRUMMER MEMORIAL FOREST

He meant a lot to me & it's evident that he influenced a lot of people's lives on here. At the moment there seem to be no plans for a memorial service of any sort, but the eco group he founded, Future Forests, are setting up a Joe Strummer Memorial Forest on the Isle of Skye. It's a small, but fitting, gesture. I will be paying my respects to the great man, & thanking him for being a part of my life, by planting a tree in this forest (in fact, sadly, I'm planting a "magnificent 7"). The link below allows you to do the same so go on. It's only £8.50 for a tree & as well as remembering someone who we all loved, it does that little bit for the eco-system too.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-01-2003, 10:17 AM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Orbost is a beautiful location, I had wrongly assumed it was in one of the great sitka swathes near Portree. I will be buying a tree and organising a Strummer pilgrimage up there ...

(Ok, so I go to Skye most years to do some hill-walking, but it sounds much flashier this way)
Old 24-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Honk

Gosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just got home from a first aid duty at the Canterbury Fayre rock gig. Headlining tonight were the Buzzcocks, who introduced their second number (Autonomy?) with the words "This one's for Joe Strummer. Rest in peace mate. F ucking quality.". Fine words.
Old 24-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Thinking about it

NZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'm still in shock about it and mourning the dude.
Like a lot of others he had a massive effect on me.
Sorry still can't talk about it, probably because the sh it he was telling us to resist remains pervasive today( well it is in my case).
Old 25-08-2003, 05:22 PM

Kevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Not just you it seems, cuz London Calling has just came top of XFM's 2003 best 104 song x-list.
Old 25-08-2003, 07:30 PM
bloody old fool

RtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
"Phoney Beatle mania, has bitten the dust."
Old 25-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Dortmunder

Location: Sometimes Marienthal , sometimes the SudTribune, sometimes A-Block, mostly Selhurst
BVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBVB Bob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Final album with the Mescaleros, Streetcore, out on 6th October for those that are interested. Rumours of a single too, currently titled Coma, for 22nd September release.
Old 25-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Thinking about it

NZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Final album with the Mescaleros, Streetcore, out on 6th October for those that are interested. Rumours of a single too, currently titled Coma, for 22nd September release.
Thanks for this I will try and get it imported.
Old 26-08-2003, 07:13 AM

guyw is playing for a contract
I'm a new member, Jo's wife Lucinda is one of my oldest friends, I'll forward a link to her so she can see this "thread", she likes to read peoples comments about Jo
Guyw
Old 29-11-2003, 04:39 PM

Location: Skibbereen / Schinken/ Trá Lí/ an Aerbus / But I'm still behind Stav.
JohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnA : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Documentary on the Clash - this Friday. To commemerate his sad death.
I think its BBC2 21.00