Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-04-2020, 08:50 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My memory is being the only guy on the coach wanting United to beat Oldham as I'd predicted from January that we'd play United in the final. I didn't actually put money on it which was right in one sense as I was only 17. That said I had started betting on horses/football but I didn't do my bet as I wasn't sure if predicting both finalists was a bet you could do. I worked the odds out as 960/1 (multiplied both teams win odds) which I realise now is the wrong way to do it,

I had a Spurs mate at school who I'd made the prediction to who was amazed each round as both Palace and United went through round after round without even needing replays up to the semi (always Palace on the Saturday and United on the Sunday.) He was dumbfounded when it came in!

Topped that the following year when I tipped Stich to win Wimbledon at 66/1!

This book is aimed at any Palace fan fancying a trip down Memory Lane (if they're old like me!) or for younger folk wishing to learn about following Palace/football in the pre-internet era.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:51 PM

Groinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGroinstrain : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Incredible day....just wow! Still brings back all those emotions watching it back even now! I just reconnected with a mate who I was with that day to reminisce; we’ve not spoken in years!
Old 09-04-2020, 06:14 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
My memory is being the only guy on the coach wanting United to beat Oldham as I'd predicted from January that we'd play United in the final. I didn't actually put money on it which was right in one sense as I was only 17. That said I had started betting on horses/football but I didn't do my bet as I wasn't sure if predicting both finalists was a bet you could do. I worked the odds out as 960/1 (multiplied both teams win odds) which I realise now is the wrong way to do it,

I had a Spurs mate at school who I'd made the prediction to who was amazed each round as both Palace and United went through round after round without even needing replays up to the semi (always Palace on the Saturday and United on the Sunday.) He was dumbfounded when it came in!

On a similar note; the year before in ‘89, I left secondary school. As was tradition, people had autograph books that you’d hand round to mates and teachers to sign and write messages. So move on to late 1990, I bumped into one of my former school mates, a Man U fan. He reminded me of the message I’d written in his book in May 1989: ‘All the best for the future mate and see you at Wembley next year for the Palace v Man U FA Cup final.’

I remember writing it with tongue firmly in cheek as we were a 2nd division club at the point of writing, about to embark on the play offs.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 09-04-2020, 06:34 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:

I remember shouting 'bring on utd' on the way out of Villa Park.
I thought that if we could beat Liverpool then they'd be a piece of piss.
Plus it would've been another one over Brighton.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:59 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
And a referee who didn't hesitate, looking for a chance to give it to the big team, and booking a Palace player who I doubt was even swearing...

....nothing changes. I wonder whether VAR would have overruled that.....?

Although it is Liverpool of course, and as I say nothing changes..
Sorry. Disagree. George Courtney was the best referee we could have had for that game. Unlike the pr1ck we had for the final who neglected to award Geoff a penalty in the replay.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:50 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Sorry. Disagree. George Courtney was the best referee we could have had for that game. Unlike the pr1ck we had for the final who neglected to award Geoff a penalty in the replay.
Our three biggest triumphs of the era and I think George Courtney was the ref for all three.

(Blackburn play offs, Villa Park, ZDS Final.)

In spite of this I was never a fan of him.....I was pro-Kelvin Morton, the ultimate ref.

That said, the fact that he didn't give Pembo a straight red when he shoved Courtney after giving away the penalty is so overlooked. We certaily got away with one there. I cringe every time I see that bit. I read Geoff Thomas saying something similar the other day - he saw Pembo put his hands on the ref and thought a red would follow.

This book is aimed at any Palace fan fancying a trip down Memory Lane (if they're old like me!) or for younger folk wishing to learn about following Palace/football in the pre-internet era.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
On a similar note; the year before in ‘89, I left secondary school. As was tradition, people had autograph books that you’d hand round to mates and teachers to sign and write messages. So move on to late 1990, I bumped into one of my former school mates, a Man U fan. He reminded me of the message I’d written in his book in May 1989: ‘All the best for the future mate and see you at Wembley next year for the Palace v Man U FA Cup final.’

I remember writing it with tongue firmly in cheek as we were a 2nd division club at the point of writing, about to embark on the play offs.
Great prediction....when we were in the 2nd!! That's 6 months earlier than mine. Would love to know the actual odds at that time.

Old 14-04-2020, 08:15 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Both semifinals are on bbcone this Saturday. 2pm.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 15-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Sorry. Disagree. George Courtney was the best referee we could have had for that game.
Agree with that. He could have sent off Pemberton who put both hands on his chest. He only shoved him a little bit but I bet other less experienced refs might have shown a red instead of yellow.
Old 15-04-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Agree with that. He could have sent off Pemberton who put both hands on his chest. He only shoved him a little bit but I bet other less experienced refs might have shown a red instead of yellow.
They were in the days when a ref put a town on the map.

George Courtney - Spennymoor
Alan Gunn - Burgess Hill (twat!)
Ray Lewis - the 'great booker' from Great Bookham

All these little places and their one claim to fame was a ref from back in the day when the ref's home town was next to his name on the screen as the match started.

#OldenDays

Old 15-04-2020, 11:59 AM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think it was Richard Shaw that done Rushy.
I think it was O'Reilly (or perhaps Thorn). Bumped his hip, not long after his goal.

It's hard to see how this one could be bettered. I was 30 years younger, I remember jumping up the fence after one goal and kissing the badge on my shirt to the Liverpool fans on the other side.

Last edited by dim; 15-04-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 15-04-2020, 12:01 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
They were in the days when a ref put a town on the map.

George Courtney - Spennymoor
Alan Gunn - Burgess Hill (twat!)
Ray Lewis - the 'great booker' from Great Bookham

All these little places and their one claim to fame was a ref from back in the day when the ref's home town was next to his name on the screen as the match started.

#OldenDays
Also back in the day they all had proper jobs away from the game. Remember Peter Willis was a policeman; he who was the first ref to send a player off in an FA Cup final. When he called Moran over to send him off, there was no hiding his profession.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 15-04-2020, 09:17 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
BBC 1 showing highlights of this game on sat 2pm
Old 15-04-2020, 09:45 PM

Herr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Both semifinals are on bbcone this Saturday. 2pm.

Scheduled for an hour?

That's a lot of action from Villa Park to fit into 10 minutes
Old 16-04-2020, 09:07 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Colonpharter View Post
Scheduled for an hour?

That's a lot of action from Villa Park to fit into 10 minutes
Old 17-04-2020, 02:02 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Full game pn Palace TV tomorrow 12pm

Old 17-04-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
Full game pn Palace TV tomorrow 12pm

And on the club's You Tube account, which means we will finally have it there to watch whenever we want. I've had the video since the day, but the quality was never great.

Why we have never released our finest moment on DVD at some point i don't know?

- John Peel
Old 17-04-2020, 03:06 PM

Another memory i remember having was during extra time at 3-3 thinking it would probably end up going to a replay and having to fork out for another trip and ticket up to Birmingham. Presuming the replay would've been there, although it may well have been played elsewhere.

They would've absolutely slaughtered us in a replay i reckon.

- John Peel
Old 17-04-2020, 03:49 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
And on the club's You Tube account, which means we will finally have it there to watch whenever we want. I've had the video since the day, but the quality was never great.

Why we have never released our finest moment on DVD at some point i don't know?
Yeah, sorry. I did put that on the thread in GPD.
Old 17-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Glad....All Over!

Crofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is here