Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 01-02-2020, 07:30 PM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
Andy Gill, RIP

Very sad to hear that Andy Gill, guitarist with the Gang of Four, has died.

I have to say I always found the GoF's music a little too earnest compared with their jokey chums the Mekons, but I certainly appreciated Andy Gill as a guitarist.

Also knew him vaguely in my student days. He was one of the good guys.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Another sad one, RIP Andy.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 PM
This too will pass

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
RIP
Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Really an extraordinary guitarist, but weirdly overlooked - everyone talks about the politics with Go4, but to me, he was the difference. RIP
Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 PM

Lingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
An incredibly influential guitarist from one of my favourite groups of that era. Thanks for the memories and RIP.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:03 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I don't think it's too much to state that he was a pioneer. Extraordinary guitar style. Uncompromising musician. Hugely influential. Gang of Four were a band who showed that 'punk' could be thoughtful, expansive and could cross genres.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:16 PM
Smudging at Selhurst

smudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Gang of Four were a great band - saw them at Croydon Greyhound around 1978 with Penetration I think and thought they were excellent and Andy Gill’s guitar was so different to anyone else around at that time

RIP
Old 02-02-2020, 01:21 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Saw them supporting Steel Pulse in 1980 - the Au Pairs, Mekons and I think John Cooper Clark were also on the bill.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
So very sad to hear this, was listening to Entertainment only last Thursday

Gifted guitarist who was the driving force behind one of the few punk bands I really liked.

RIP Andy
Old 02-02-2020, 05:31 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Saw them supporting Steel Pulse in 1980 - the Au Pairs, Mekons and I think John Cooper Clark were also on the bill.
That would have been a concert and a half
Old 02-02-2020, 05:58 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

It was great, but it was at the Rainbow, so seated - though they kind of stopped trying to stop people skanking about for the top two acts.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
RIP

Sadly never saw them but influenced many of my favourite bands.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:32 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
This version of Damaged Goods really captures them for me.
Greyhound '78 was a special gig. Superb.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

And this was filmed at aforementioned gig at the rainbow:
Old 04-02-2020, 05:45 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

so was this:

Old 21-05-2020, 07:32 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Andy’s wife, Catherine Mayer, thinks he contracted Coronavirus in China in November, and that this was what killed him - fascinating listen: To view the link you have to Register or Login