Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
It’s not a matter of me focusing on what I ‘thought it to mean’, it’s what you wrote...it’s there in black and white in your post.

You make sweeping statements that are untrue.

A quick google reveals a YouGov survey from last year that advises that less than 10% now work the traditional 9-5 hours which you say are the standard for the majority. Part of that reduction for white collar workers, they advise, is due to flexi and working from home, which in many cases has been enabled by tech.
It's what Ive wrote but you are missing the point. You are arguing about details rather than the concept.
My main point is, as a society encouraging a better balance for work/life should be seen as an advancement for the species.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 AM

13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Strawman. Already been pointed out that this isn't what's being suggested in this thread.

Article also fails to mention that UK already has a cap on working hours. 48 per week, averaged over 6 months.

Of course, even this is routinely ignored/loopholed in many sectors. If you ever want to work for the KPMGs or Deloittes of the world, you're going to be signing up to a contract clause waiving your rights under working time regulations.

And the claim in the article that productivity is hard to increase in service sector is comprehensively contradicted by the actual 4-day work week experiments undertaken by companies in the services sector.

No doubt Sidelsky has lots of fancy statistical models that back up what he says but if that's his conclusion, he is flat out ignoring existing evidence.

Also seems to be trying to push Labour policy towards a focus on full employment. That's usually not a good sign...
Old 12-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
It's what Ive wrote but you are missing the point. You are arguing about details rather than the concept.
My main point is, as a society encouraging a better balance for work/life should be seen as an advancement for the species.
Iím not missing the point at all. I disagree with your solution.

Ofcourse many people would like a better work/life balance, but I personally donít consider a 4 day week should be a priority for government both in these challenging times and because there are opportunities for people to select from many jobs/careers that arenít 5 day 9-5. We will have to agree to disagree on this, because I believe itís for companies to determine what shifts they need from their staff and to meet the needs of their business, not a matter for govt to dictate (other than maximum rules etc).

As another poster said above, there are many people working in the gig economy and on ghastly zero contracts who would much prefer a steady job of regular hours. Their needs are a much higher priority to me.

Iíd also like to see the minimum wage reach £10 per hour soon. This is the sort of thing govt can lead on.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Good post. These things matter far more.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 12-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Good post. These things matter far more.
By Jove, you've got it !

It's about values and not just costs.

Well done !!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Low View Post
By Jove, you've got it !

It's about values and not just costs.
Thanks, but I donít think you are particularly well-qualified to comment on either.

And of course any decision that affects society is to do with values, numskull. The bigger question is always what values.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ