Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 28-09-2019, 07:55 AM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Coalition government to stop new deal

Will it happen? Good idea?

Given it will literally just be to stop no deal and then call an election, and will do little else I canít see why the Lib Dems care so much if Corbyn is the leader of it. No leader will be able to do anything that wasnít strictly agreed as they would be voted down immediately.

The leader of the opposition is clearly going to want to be the caretaker prime minister, and given the SNP are now on board, surely the Lib Dems, if they really care about stopping no deal, should agree to it.

However Iím not sure what effect it will all have on a general election and the result of that election.
Old 28-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
Will it happen? Good idea?

Given it will literally just be to stop no deal and then call an election, and will do little else I can’t see why the Lib Dems care so much if Corbyn is the leader of it. No leader will be able to do anything that wasn’t strictly agreed as they would be voted down immediately.

The leader of the opposition is clearly going to want to be the caretaker prime minister, and given the SNP are now on board, surely the Lib Dems, if they really care about stopping no deal, should agree to it.

However I’m not sure what effect it will all have on a general election and the result of that election.
Shouldn't be needed

If labour weren't such a shit show .....
Old 28-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
However Iím not sure what effect it will all have on a general election and the result of that election.
TBH this is my main concern. I don't really see how delaying no deal for a few months makes much difference, unless the parliamentary maths changes radically.

Most of the polls I have seen show anything from a Tory majority to a hung parliament with very similar maths to what we have now.

I can only hope that if Boris fails on his 'do-or-die October 31st pledge' that the Brexit party will split the Tory vote enough, but I feel like that may be wishful thinking.
Old 28-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
I’m really unsure of the strategy here. I really want no deal locked away in a filing cabinet in a basement with a nuke on the door to stop it being opened, and the rebel alliance is right to be aiming to get that done in some way. But whether that is done via a mechanism forcing Johnson to do it (truly humiliating for him and likely to split the leave vote between him and the Brexit Party) or via some coalition government passing new legislation a new majority Tory government, maybe again supported by the DUP and god forbid some BP MPs could just rip that up after the election. I see that is a huge risk.

A Brexit based election (which it would be in the above scenario) is probably good for the LDs, good for the SNP, but I am really unsure it is good for Labour right now. Surely the real aim of any coalition should be to resolve this as the adults in the room. Get a deal through the house and then put it to the people ASAP, and then, once it is decided go to the country on all the real issues that face all of us?

I really cannot see an election with Brexit still not finally resolved either way delivering a decided majority for any party, but definitely not for Labour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 28-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
I really cannot see an election with Brexit still not finally resolved either way delivering a decided majority for any party, but definitely not for Labour.
Agreed. Another GE isnt going to make things clearer unless voting is really different to current polling.