Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
freeform jazz is like hell for ears
OK, you know *something* about music.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I am immune to all you foolpieces dissing my music-head.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
jó csávó

Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike
Quote:
Originally posted by jone-zee
I went to see some Gig once at The Bull in Barnes full of beardies nodding their heads and Dungaree clad women shouting 'I like It' every so often.
Hip Daddy-o
Sounds like a laugh.

Is that Youngs trad jazz boozer in Tornton Heath still there?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Bugger off back to your Chapterhouse and Skrewdriver records.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I'm with you monkey man. There's a reason why the Jazz section in any big music store is about the same size as half of the letter "E" section from any other genre.

Jazz is like a bunch of people permanently warming up - an hour later you're standing there thinking "will they start soon?"
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Mat,

Perhaps you may care to listen to Ry Cooder's "Jazz". It has many examples of what was known as "coon music".

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Pistike
Sounds like a laugh.

Is that Youngs trad jazz boozer in Tornton Heath still there?
The Lord Napier? Think so.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
jó csávó

Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike Pistike
"I like it"
Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 AM
CMAM

jone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
LOL

Mayor of CarshaltON
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
I'm with you monkey man. There's a reason why the Jazz section in any big music store is about the same size as half of the letter "E" section from any other genre.

Jazz is like a bunch of people permanently warming up - an hour later you're standing there thinking "will they start soon?"
You're referring to one single genre of jazz though. That's too simpistic. Jazz covers several different genres - trad jazz, soul jazz, acid jazz and so forth. I agree that there's a lot of uber pretentious shit out there but there's also a hell of a lot of good stuff
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 AM
9dw

Roadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I prefer music with jazz influences rather than pure jazz which can be difficult listening IMO.

Try Herbie Hancock's Headhunters or Weather Report's Heavy Weather - accessible jazz with a bit of funk in there.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Duleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorDuleep comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailor
Re: Jazz.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
OK, I have tried. I am currently listening to John Coltrane and I know its meant to be cool and groovy and all the rest but its rubbish.

I am only making the effort because I am being dragged along to a family bash that is taking place in a Jazz Pub on Saturday night and I have not ever really given it a go but if Coltrane is meant to represent the high point of the genre I hate to think what awaits me on Saturday night when its just keen amateurs.
Why don't you try Kenny Ball or Acker Bilk - probably more down your street

Seriously, I never took you to be a philistine Matov. You can't just dip into Jazz and expect to like it or understand it. It demands something of the audience unlike a lot of pop music. Ken Burns' series on Jazz an abridged version of which the BBC showed is a good way in. Unless you understand what came before, it's difficult to appreciate what was groundbreaking about Coltrane, Davis, Ornette Coleman.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by west country boy
You might be better off with Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen or Mr Acker Bilk to be honest.
Is the right answer.

It is impossible to not to tap your feet when listening to trad. I suspect it's rather looked down upon by the more pretentious forms, but it's a much better listen than free jazz, and some of the more discordant stuff without tunes. The only downside is that you will have to get used to hearing 'When the Saints Go Marching In' a lot.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychokiller
You're referring to one single genre of jazz though. That's too simpistic. Jazz covers several different genres - trad jazz, soul jazz, acid jazz and so forth. I agree that there's a lot of uber pretentious shit out there but there's also a hell of a lot of good stuff
Yeah, maybe. I assumed that Mat was talking about the sort of Jazz that gets played in pubs like the Lord Napier, whatever that's called.

I don't think of people like Billie Holiday or Herbie Hancock as Jazz - maybe "Jazz-influenced"?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yeah, maybe. I assumed that Mat was talking about the sort of Jazz that gets played in pubs like the Lord Napier, whatever that's called.

I don't think of people like Billie Holiday or Herbie Hancock as Jazz - maybe "Jazz-influenced"?

Naah, still jazz, just a different make.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
That's Trad.

Quote:
REmember Jazz Rock? Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea etc. That's where I used to put Herb.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 AM
CMAM

jone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Level 42?

Mayor of CarshaltON
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
jft39

Quote:
Originally posted by jone-zee
Level 42?
Jazz funk (originally). Jazz funk is the best.

Herbie Hancock has done jazz-fusion stuff, but also worked in lots of other genres.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 AM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Love cats by the Cure?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Quote:
Originally posted by west country boy
Jazz funk (originally). Jazz funk is the best.

Herbie Hancock has done jazz-fusion stuff, but also worked in lots of other genres.
Ever heard "You Bet Your Love"? That tune is cheese personified