Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
For the OP - if you want photos, then Hy Money has stacks and stacks from that era, and she is still an avid Palace fan that goes every home game. She is easily found on facebook - I think her tag on there might be Hyacynth Daniels.

And of course Neil Everitt, official club photographer to this day, his username on here is Cad - so very easy to get in touch through a private message. If for no other reason than the amazing photos against Ipswich when Palace went top of Division One

Vince Hilaire is on facebook and would I am sure be willing to assist with an interview. He has very clear recollections and some funny stories too - read his recent book "Vince" for some ideas.

Kenny Sansom has fond memories of the era, and including him in it would be great for his self-esteem.

I wish you every success with it, I cannot wait to enjoy watching the end result!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 08-02-2019, 12:44 PM

French Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrench Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great idea. I'm not sure I can help apart from some programmes which I guess you already have. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:52 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
One of the best goals scored at Selhurst iirc. And for one glorious week we were top of the hill.

Funnily enough, I dug the centenary dvd out the other night and watched both discs again for the umpteenth time.
Really looking forward to this 'team of the 80's' one. Might skip the part where it all goes horribly wrong though. It was bad enough living through it.
Forget all that , was it white horse or holmesdale .
Old 08-02-2019, 12:53 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott View Post
I would have said Whitehorse. I'm pretty sure Ipswich had a corner at the Holmesdale end. Brutal counter-attack and I have an image of seeing Jimbo's back pegging it away down the middle to get on to the end of the cross.
I may be wrong though. Memory playing up, old age setting in ...
Cheers Kabbott
As you say memory gets patchy as you get older.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:02 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Got a couple of scrapbooks full from the the two seasons leading up to promotion in 1979, some great newspaper pictures, one of my favourites is of Ken Sansom, Jerry Murphy, Peter Nicholas and Jim Cannon entitled 'Englishman, Irishman, Welshman and Scotsman', four players who had gained international honours (not all full Internationals), but we were hugely proud at the time and it really did feel that we were on the verge of something great when promotion came around.

It was a fantastic time to follow Palace, the whole era really followed on from the three seasons in Division Three, 1974-1977, when all the Palace Youth players started to become regular first team players, Jim Cannon, Paul Hinshelwood, his brother Martin Hinshelwood (these all actually made their debuts in Division One in the early 1970s) - Dave Swindlehurst - more or less the backbone of the side for nearly a decade, you see how proud we are now to have home grown talent like Wilf and AWB, well you can muliply that several times, especially when such great players as Ken Sansom, Vince Hilaire, Billy Gilbert, Peter Nicholas, Jerry Murphy and Ian Walsh came through there were several players on the fringe of the first team squad too, Steve Lovell, David Fry, Steve Brennan, Kevin Dare, Steve Leahy and in the last couple of years Shaun Brooks and Steve MacKenzie, who didn't quite have the same impact, but were part of that exceptional Youth team under John Cartwright (who, by the way was also a former Palace player!).

Great times - on balance I would still say 1974 to 1979 was probably the happiest time in all my years watching Palace - but on the flip side, the following 5 years from late 1980 to 1985 were almost as miserable as the previous half decade had been good! Part of the eternal Palace rollercoaster, but that Team of the Eighties was definitely one hell of a joyride, encapsulated, as many will tell you, by that 4-1 win over Ipswich in Division One when Palace, oh so briefly, went to the top of Division One - consider this, only two and half years earlier Palace were 12th in Division Three - to come that far in such a short time span is actually a clue to how inexperienced most of the players were, which was part of the reason the team started to struggle after 1979.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM

TC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTC EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 08-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Needs to include how Bloye sold the Whitehorse end lease to Sainsbury in 1977, effectively putting us on a path to destruction from which we've still not recovered from properly.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:07 PM
The hero of Shadow Moses?

Levski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Best of luck with it, it's a great idea to document an iconic period of English football history - relevant not only to Palace, but to the game in general, I think many would say.

Dorking is right about Vince Hilaire - I'm sure he'd be available to speak to. An interview with him appears in a sociology book by Les Back et al 'The Changing Face of Football' (2001), mostly about racism and regional identity. Very interesting book, well worth reading.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Jordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Way before my era but this is good news to wake up to. I know a few teams like Sunderland and Juventus have had their documentaries on Netflix, is this something you might consider?
Old 08-02-2019, 01:36 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
At last! Great news Al - can’t wait

Vince Hilaire will be a great source of info from an interview judging by his recent autobiography.

This is a good friend of mine’s cine film footage from the 1979 Notts County home game. Obviously not great quality but some real memories in there. I’m sure my friend will give you permission to use the footage if you want it. Not sure if he’s still got the original cine film but I have a CD version taken from it.

Other than that I can’t think of anything else useful for you other than a lot of the programmes from that era. I only started going at the end of 77/78 so can only remember the tail end promotion and destruction of the side.

Good luck with the project mate.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel

Last edited by bubbs11; 08-02-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
29 posts without mentioning the legend that was Arnie Warren. Without him, few of the Youth Cup winning players would have been spotted. And without Malcolm Allison, few would have been signed.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:55 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Cannot wait to see the finished product. Good luck with it Super Al.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

jordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Fantastic idea. 78 was when i started to go. Will bring back good and bad memories of that era.
Some musicians are meant to be heard but not seen - merely an auditory experience and nothing more. Berlin's IAMX, on the other hand, isnt merely a band... it's an event - a full-on aural and visual attack with the dynamic and inimitable Chris Corner (of Sneaker Pimps) leading the charge.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
The BT Sports documentary about Corinthian Casuals was a great watch, so I'm looking forward to this.

Well done Al, best of luck with the production
Old 08-02-2019, 02:16 PM

super al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cheers Bubbs, hope you're well - I saw this wonderful footage on youtube which convinced me there may be more available from other sources! If you could ask your friend if I can use some of it for the film I'd be grateful and if you could send me a DVD copy that would be great.

Oh and Vince is on board!
Old 08-02-2019, 02:34 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by super al View Post
Cheers Bubbs, hope you're well - I saw this wonderful footage on youtube which convinced me there may be more available from other sources! If you could ask your friend if I can use some of it for the film I'd be grateful and if you could send me a DVD copy that would be great.

Oh and Vince is on board!
Yes will ask my friend for permission Al and then send you the DVD.

You’re probably all over it already, but I wonder if the documentary about Hilaire called ‘Vince’ still exists? That would have some great stuff from that era.

Vince talks about it in his book. Apparently a match was set up against Saudi Arabia’s Under 21’s just so the film crew could get some shots of Vince in action. It ended up in a free for all. Apparently a young Billy Gilbert uprooted a corner flag and was running around with it as if it was a spear.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 08-02-2019, 02:34 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
The Jimmy Cannon goal was without question scored at the Whitehorse end, the whole play just opened up in front of us.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Apart from John Burridge in goal, pretty much all of the 79 promotion team (even 'Old' Steve Kember) came through the Palace youth ranks at some stage
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 PM

super al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
For the OP - if you want photos, then Hy Money has stacks and stacks from that era, and she is still an avid Palace fan that goes every home game. She is easily found on facebook - I think her tag on there might be Hyacynth Daniels.

And of course Neil Everitt, official club photographer to this day, his username on here is Cad - so very easy to get in touch through a private message. If for no other reason than the amazing photos against Ipswich when Palace went top of Division One

Vince Hilaire is on facebook and would I am sure be willing to assist with an interview. He has very clear recollections and some funny stories too - read his recent book "Vince" for some ideas.

Kenny Sansom has fond memories of the era, and including him in it would be great for his self-esteem.

I wish you every success with it, I cannot wait to enjoy watching the end result!
Thanks Dorking - Yeah, I'll be looking to speak to all of the above!
Old 08-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Yes will ask my friend for permission Al and then send you the DVD.

You’re probably all over it already, but I wonder if the documentary about Hilaire called ‘Vince’ still exists? That would have some great stuff from that era.

Vince talks about it in his book. Apparently a match was set up against Saudi Arabia’s Under 21’s just so the film crew could get some shots of Vince in action. It ended up in a free for all. Apparently a young Billy Gilbert uprooted a corner flag and was running around with it as if it was a spear.
Yeah, I've spoken to Vince about it - brilliant story! Working on a licensing agreement. Fingers crossed.