Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2019, 01:32 AM

KingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Joy division

Never really listened to them decided to give it a try and am I alone in thinking they were shite. Ian Curtis was a tragic story but I honestly feel like if what happened didn't nobody would go on about them. I'm just curious to see if it's just me especially when I've heard people going on about them being better then The smiths and The Cure which after giving there album's a listen I find laughable. Also what the ****s that dance about.
Old 17-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
They certainly weren't shite! They are certainly up there with the likes of the Smiths & Cure as one of the great bands of the late Seventies/ early Eighties. Their sound is distinctive & original with songs that communicate the strong emotions relating to love & hate.

As for Ian Curtis, his raw energy when performing is spellbinding to me, made all the stronger when you know what he was going through in his personal life at the same time. Can also imagine Joy Division are a bit of a Marmite band as the music has a less commercial sound to that of New Order.
Old 17-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Old 17-04-2019, 06:57 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
I wasn't alive when they came out but still one of my favourite bands by a mile.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 17-04-2019, 08:08 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
Joy division

Awful band that influenced many more awful bands

http://www.last.fm/user/the_paulo
Old 17-04-2019, 08:11 AM

Eaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is here
A great band who influenced a lot of excellent music.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Eli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Joy Divisions work pisses on that of the Smiths and the Cures from a great height - end of story.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:54 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Cash View Post
Joy Divisions work pisses on that of the Smiths and the Cures from a great height - end of story.
I'm with you on this. The OP is a young person, and context is everything here. Live, they could be brilliant one night and dreadful the next, but they were never less than compelling to watch in action. Curtis had an extraordinary presence. Their work in the studio was incredible. They captured a mood at the time, and influenced way beyond their limited output. Easily in my top ten bands of all time.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Ian Curtis’s unusual dancing style happened spontaneously one night. The rest of the band were somewhat bemused by it but it transpires he was covering up and possibly preventing an upcoming epilepsy attack, which would happen more and more frequently as he got older.

I think it’s hard to look back at them now and get how influential they were at the time, but as others have said....a proper influence in probably everything you have heard since they disbanded.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
I rarely poke my head above the parapet for this type of discussion because liking or disliking a band or genre of music is totally subjective to the point of being pointless to discuss it (unless maybe, you're in agreement with the argument).
But I am in agreement with Stella here, and if the OP wants to know why a band like Joy Division are looked upon as something special (and definitely in a different league to The Smiths and The Cure) then context is everything.
There's plenty of documentaries about this period of music history and it's pretty easy to find out what was going on then and to discover where Joy Division sat in the musical spectrum and why their music was and still is so influential.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:36 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 17-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
If you don't think Joy Division after listening to their original three albums are anything but superb/brilliant then you should have your ears sewn up and be banned from listening to any music for 24hours. And if then you still haven't reformed off to a penal colony with you for decades as a means to an end.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I liked them a lot. I was just that age - fifteen when the first album came out, and when he died. They were always a little apart from everything else that was going on, although they had a lot of help and support from the Buzzcocks, and their music don't really sound old in the same way other records of that time sound old. Though it was a frantically inventive three or four year period in british music. Think back to what music was being made, 40 years before them, or 30, or 20. That album is 40 years ago, now. The Smiths and The Cure aren't outside the continuum in that way (it's laughable to compare The Smiths to Joy Division, especially).
Old 17-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
If you don't think Joy Division after listening to their original three albums are anything but superb/brilliant then you should have your ears sewn up and be banned from listening to any music for 24hours. And if then you still haven't reformed off to a penal colony with you for decades as a means to an end.
Three, what?
Old 17-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Three, what?

Donít forget the best of Joy Division
Old 17-04-2019, 01:45 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
Awful band that influenced many more awful bands
Not the sort of music you hear at Smackdown for sure.
Old 17-04-2019, 01:47 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
A few of their songs are absolute classics. The last two songs on the second album will never get boring.
Old 17-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Middle class left.

It's the better of the two albums, I think.
Old 17-04-2019, 01:58 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Three, what?
Three,what? what?

Unknown Pleasures, Closer and Still: the others just compilations and rehashes, no ?
Old 17-04-2019, 02:12 PM

KingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Maybe I just had to be from the era to get it I don't know. Good thing about music it is subjective and at least on this forum you don't get attacked like the others ill give it another listen but I just reckon it won't make a difference.