Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
The Rainbow was at Finsbury park - I was there on the Saturday.
They were special live, which in turn undermines the point about Hannett, I think. Though I do love his production on those records, most of the tricks are pinched off Lee Perry and Bovell.
Yeah I want to retract that. Stephen is a brilliant drummer - there's an excellent and very funny Lego version of him on YouTube - and Hooky's guitar playing impressive too. Shadowplay live on Oxford Road Show '79 is the business. I just remember hearing a track or two before Hannett got his mitts on them and improving them significantly.
Old 17-04-2019, 06:24 PM

Lingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I was at both of those (Rainbow), and the same tour with Buzzcocks at Guildford Civic.
Also saw them at the Tottenham Court Road YMCA with The Bunnymen.

That Lyceum gig was a co-headliner, with Section 25 and A Certain Ratio supporting, from memory. I've still got the ticket somewhere.....

Anyone doubting the brilliance and importance of Joy Division is a f*cking plum.
I was at the Guildford gig and the Lyceum . I remember queuing to get into the YMCA but it had sold out by the time we got to the door. Unknown Pleasures is probably my equal favourite album of all time along with Dark Side of the moon. Amazing band
Old 17-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
It was a ******* great time for gigs, records and Palace.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
It was a ******* great time for gigs, records and Palace.
.... oh south London is wonderful.
Old 17-04-2019, 08:19 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisophiex View Post
Hmmmm...
I think I'm relatively well-behaved in here (and also on the WAYLTATM? and cricket threads).
Old 17-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Believe the hype... Closer - "The album has been highly acclaimed, and is often cited as Joy Division's finest work. Fact's Mark Fisher wrote that the album is "often considered the crown jewel of post-punk."Rapper Danny Brown named his fourth album after the song "Atrocity Exhibition". In 1984, singer George Michael praised the album on a music discussion programme.In 1995, Closer was ranked one of the top alternative albums ever to be released by Spin magazine, at No. 69. In 2002 Pitchfork listed it as the 10th best album of the 1980s.In 2003, the album placed at No. 157 on Rolling Stone's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".In 2006, it placed 72nd on NME's list of the 100 greatest British albums ever and Q magazine placed it at No. 8 in its list of the 40 best albums of the 1980s. In 2012, Slant Magazine listed the album at No. 7 on its list of the best albums"
Old 17-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I would put “Hex Enduction Hour”, “Metal Box” and probably “Cut” ahead of it as “crown jewels of post punk”, meself, but it’s up there.
Old 17-04-2019, 09:27 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Never did it for me, like New Order though
Old 17-04-2019, 09:32 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
If pushed, I'd go for 'Unknown Pleasures' over 'Closer'. It has that industrial edge. 'Closer' is dark, but a bit too polished in comparison. And 'Transmission' is their best single. I played that about 20 times in a row when I got it back from the record shop.
Old 17-04-2019, 09:33 PM

Eaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
Never did it for me, like New Order though
Totally different band and sound.
Old 17-04-2019, 09:35 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I actually prefer new order to joy division (prepares for a slating).
Why doesn't that surprise me?
Old 17-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
As someone has said it’s all very subjective

I thought JD were pretty good. I thought New Order were shite

And the Cure and Smiths and SR are far better than JD
Old 17-04-2019, 09:51 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
For a long time I have been intending to start a thread here on bands that you really should like but for some unfathomable reason you just don’t get (when I eventually think of a more succinct thread title I will start it). Joy Division are firmly in that category for me. I love most of their contemporaries, along with bands that have been influenced by them but when it comes to JD I just don’t get it, I am certain that the fault is mine rather than theirs.

Will give them another try tonight of the strength of this thread.
Old 17-04-2019, 09:57 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
As someone has said itís all very subjective

I thought JD were pretty good. I thought New Order were shite

And the Cure and Smiths and SR are far better than JD
Love Mick Hucknall
Old 17-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
For a long time I have been intending to start a thread here on bands that you really should like but for some unfathomable reason you just donít get (when I eventually think of a more succinct thread title I will start it). Joy Division are firmly in that category for me. I love most of their contemporaries, along with bands that have been influenced by them but when it comes to JD I just donít get it, I am certain that the fault is mine rather than theirs.

Will give them another try tonight of the strength of this thread.
That has a lot of potential. Sonic Youth for me, and Nick Cave. BB King as well.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Setting sail.

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Quote:
That has a lot of potential. Sonic Youth for me, and Nick Cave. BB King as well.
Nick Cave and BB?

You're dead to me.

I'll give you Sonic Youth though.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Middle class left.

Weird, innit?
Nick Cave - lovely bloke, amazing musicians, but I can’t stand his records. I just find them ridiculous.
BB is just too smooth.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:29 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Just started the thread
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-04-2019, 11:25 PM
Troublemaker

EdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is here
Give me the angst-ridden bass-driven energy of Joy Division over Morrissey’s whining any day.....
Old 17-04-2019, 11:38 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Weird, innit?
Nick Cave - lovely bloke, amazing musicians, but I canít stand his records. I just find them ridiculous.
BB is just too smooth.
'Jubilee Street'. F*cking brilliant.