Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 22-04-2019, 06:19 AM

Time : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTime : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Bob Dylan

I got into Bob properly about 8 years ago having been encouraged to do so by a songwriting mentor. I had some exposure to his stuff just through general life before as we all should but I’d not sat down to really listen and appreciate what a great lyricist/artist he truly is.

I’ve so far managed to get though the 60s albums up to and including Nashville Skyline. What I like is the variety of styles he uses, his reinvention in terms of genre that goes along that, and his brilliant use of words. He also comes across as a very humble guy, dedicated, almost monastic in his approach to making music.

Critical hat on - his voice isn’t great but he has some versatility with it and ultimately those who say they can’t get past the voice are clearly missing the point of him imho. Dylan for me is about content, what he’s trying to tell us almost independent of aesthetic. He paints with words. Oh and he really is crap live (Albert Hall 2015 I think it was I saw him for the only time, it was quite dull).

So are there any fellow Bob fans on here? Would love to hear general thoughts too, how you think he fits in to the wider music picture - yes he’s influential but why, is it justified? Can’t wait to get my teeth into post-60s era Bob, suggestions for what to look out for? The answer my friend...
Old 22-04-2019, 08:17 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Lucky man to be discovering him for the first time. It's always subjective, but check out 'Desire' if you haven't already. Terrific album.
Old 22-04-2019, 08:21 AM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Lucky man to be discovering him for the first time. It's always subjective, but check out 'Desire' if you haven't already. Terrific album.
Seconded.Check out Biograph for a good overview and for more recent (post mid 80's),try Infidels, Oh Mercy,Time Out Of Mind and Modern Times.

Last edited by legaleagle2; 22-04-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 22-04-2019, 10:54 AM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Great writer....awfulsinger.

Saw him live with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers years back and he's playing in Fuengirola soon.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 22-04-2019, 11:10 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Great writer....awfulsinger.

Saw him live with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers years back and he's playing in Fuengirola soon.
He's a singular vocalist, I'll give you that. But awful? Awful is the identikit singers in the charts, and on BGT and the X Factor. He's got something that eludes them all. Personality.
Old 22-04-2019, 11:12 AM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
He's a singular vocalist, I'll give you that. But awful? Awful is the identikit singers in the charts, and on BGT and the X Factor. He's got something that eludes them all. Personality.
No, he's awful. As for those programmes,i wouldn't know as I never watch them.

Old 22-04-2019, 11:20 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Great writer....awful singer.
Much as it pains me to agree with Pedro, and the much-used cliché, he is a billion per cent correct. (I think the same about Neil Young these days, but didn't find his voice so painful as a callow youth.)
Old 22-04-2019, 11:41 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Much as it pains me to agree with Pedro, and the much-used cliché, he is a billion per cent correct. (I think the same about Neil Young these days, but didn't find his voice so painful as a callow youth.)
What a pair of wrong 'uns you are.
Old 22-04-2019, 11:57 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Great writer and a great singer.

Given he must be nearly 80 when I saw this thread I assumed he'd given up knocking on heaven's door and squeezed through the cat flap.

2nd greatest Bob on the planet.
Old 22-04-2019, 12:04 PM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
Great writer and a great singer.

Given he must be nearly 80 when I saw this thread I assumed he'd given up knocking on heaven's door and squeezed through the cat flap.

2nd greatest Bob on the planet.
Indeed, Benny would never have hit the heights without Todd.
Old 22-04-2019, 12:06 PM
SC's wet dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD View Post
Indeed, Benny would never have hit the heights without Todd.
He was obviously talking about Bob the Builder.

Old 22-04-2019, 12:07 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Monkhouse, surely?
Old 22-04-2019, 12:19 PM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
If he was also into slap 'n tickle you may be right.
Old 22-04-2019, 12:21 PM
SC's wet dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Monkhouse, surely?
Holness trumps your Monkhouse.

Old 22-04-2019, 01:17 PM

StonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I quite like The Basement Tapes recorded with The Band at Big Pink. Quirky and authentic.
If you are really fed up with Dylan's voice then check out some covers of his work:-
To view the link you have to Register or Login

PS
Todays piece of Dylan trivia - Big Pink is now available to rent on AirBnB.
Old 22-04-2019, 01:21 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Saw some of his artwork in the gallery in Bluewater a few years ago. Surprisingly good paintings.
Old 22-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
One of my favourite songs ever. Never noticed how gouched out he was on this video before now.

Old 22-04-2019, 01:32 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Can’t wait to get my teeth into post-60s era Bob, suggestions for what to look out for? The answer my friend...
I am envious of you, having listened to his early catalogue you still have some great stuff ahead of you to discover. Post 60s Dylan the obvious answer is Blood on the tracks, one of the stand out albums from a great black catalogue and one of the best albums released by any artist in the 70s, a decade with a lot of strong competition. Also Desire, Time out of mind and Modern times. I haven’t ventured into his born again phase but there are said to be some gems there too.

The “official” bootleg series are worth listening to as well. Sometimes these cover a specific album or run of albums containing different versions (such as the recently release and brilliant More blood, more tracks). One has material from his time recording withThe Band. Others are live shows, the Rolling Thunder review one is great, from about 1975.

As for his voice, you either get it or you don’t. If you are after a smooth voice with an enormous vocal range then look elsewhere, I believe Michael Bublé is popular. But if you want to hear emotion, feeling, power, the voice of a singer who knows where he is going and how to take you up a blind alley, wrong foot you, turn you around and then make you realise what he has actually telling you all along then Bob’s your man. No one can phrase a song better than him.

If you listen to podcasts then search for one called “Is it rolling Bob” for different guests each week talking to the host about various aspects of his career.

Last edited by Smoz; 22-04-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 22-04-2019, 01:40 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
My elder brother was a huge fan and I enjoyed listening to some of the album's but he sounds like a cat being strangled live these days. Absolute poet though.
Old 22-04-2019, 01:41 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Edit, double post