Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 15-08-2019, 03:49 PM
AMAZE(ing) ???

Tripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
MP's changing parties.....

Dr Sarah Wollaston has become the latest MP to change party.
Initially a Conservative, then a Change UK or whatever that shower were called has transferred over the Lib Dems due to their stance on Brexit.

Totnes voted Tory and Leave won the referendum vote there. Dr Wollaston was elected on the manifesto to out carry that result.
Surely there must be some new legislation brought in place that automatically means a by-election will take place.

Utter hypocrite, I am sure she once said ( happy to be corrected ) that all defections should result in a by-election?
Old 15-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod 10 View Post
Dr Sarah Wollaston has become the latest MP to change party.
Initially a Conservative, then a Change UK or whatever that shower were called has transferred over the Lib Dems due to their stance on Brexit.

Totnes voted Tory and Leave won the referendum vote there. Dr Wollaston was elected on the manifesto to out carry that result.
Surely there must be some new legislation brought in place that automatically means a by-election will take place.

Utter hypocrite, I am sure she once said ( happy to be corrected ) that all defections should result in a by-election?
Boris Johnson once said this

"It's the arrogance. It's the contempt. That's what gets me. It's Gordon Brown's apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It's at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.

Everybody seems to have forgotten that the last general election was only two years ago, in 2005. A man called Tony Blair presented himself for re-election, and his face was to be seen - even if less prominently than in the past - on manifestos, leaflets, television screens and billboards. We rather gathered from the Labour prospectus that said Blair was going to be Prime Minister. Indeed, Tony sought a new mandate from the British electorate with the explicit promise that he would serve a full term.

The British public sucked its teeth, squinted at him closely, sighed and, with extreme reluctance, decided to elect him Prime Minister for another five years. Let me repeat that. They voted for Anthony Charles Lynton Blair to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Gordon Brown should be PM.

The extraordinary thing is that it looks as though he will now be in 10 Downing Street for three years, and without a mandate from the British people. No one elected Gordon Brown as Prime Minister, which is bad enough; but what makes things worse is that he now proposes to share power with a group of people even less elected than himself - the Liberal Democrats."
Old 15-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Jonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
...Totnes voted Tory and Leave won the referendum vote there. Dr Wollaston was elected on the manifesto to out carry that result...
She was elected to represent the best interests of (all) the people in her constituency.
Old 15-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Totnes was about 54% leave and there are loads of MPs in a similar situation who continue to vote against it.

I do understand the point the OP is making, but it’s never the case that all the MPs vote in favour of everything in their party’s manifesto anyway.

I think one could argue that it’s actually more honest of her to leave the Tories and join the Lib Dems, rather than keep voting against her own party. Her local party can now select a new Tory candidate to fight against her for the Totnes seat in the next General Election, which could be just round the corner.
Old 15-08-2019, 04:20 PM
AMAZE(ing) ???

Tripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTripod 10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Boris Johnson once said this

"It's the arrogance. It's the contempt. That's what gets me. It's Gordon Brown's apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It's at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.

Everybody seems to have forgotten that the last general election was only two years ago, in 2005. A man called Tony Blair presented himself for re-election, and his face was to be seen - even if less prominently than in the past - on manifestos, leaflets, television screens and billboards. We rather gathered from the Labour prospectus that said Blair was going to be Prime Minister. Indeed, Tony sought a new mandate from the British electorate with the explicit promise that he would serve a full term.

The British public sucked its teeth, squinted at him closely, sighed and, with extreme reluctance, decided to elect him Prime Minister for another five years. Let me repeat that. They voted for Anthony Charles Lynton Blair to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Gordon Brown should be PM.

The extraordinary thing is that it looks as though he will now be in 10 Downing Street for three years, and without a mandate from the British people. No one elected Gordon Brown as Prime Minister, which is bad enough; but what makes things worse is that he now proposes to share power with a group of people even less elected than himself - the Liberal Democrats."
Fair point, but on the ballot paper in a general election are the names of parties, not individuals.
Conservative won the last one. If during that period they believe a new leader is required they are entitled to elect one.
I could not stand Blair or Brown but as Labour won that election their leadership can change accordingly.
Old 15-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Fair point, but on the ballot paper in a general election are the names of parties, not individuals.
From that we can only conclude that you've never voted.
Old 15-08-2019, 04:23 PM
AMAZE(ing) ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
She was elected to represent the best interests of (all) the people in her constituency.
If so, then stay and represent all of them under the party you won with. Your personal opinion should not come into it.
There must be occurrences where you must carry out the choice of the majority in your constituency, or stand down.

Politics should really be simple to carry out, but we have somehow made a right hash of it over the last 15 or so years.
Old 15-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
People always want a by-election when MPs leave their party, and are always conspicuously quiet if one joins!
Old 15-08-2019, 04:29 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Conservative won the last one. If during that period they believe a new leader is required they are entitled to elect one.
I could not stand Blair or Brown but as Labour won that election their leadership can change accordingly.
I know. Im just pointing out the hypocrisy
Old 15-08-2019, 04:30 PM
AMAZE(ing) ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
From that we can only conclude that you've never voted.
I vote whenever I am invited to.
Happy to stand corrected on this one. I couldn't recall a candidates name appearing on my ballot paper, I thought it just said the party name.
Old 15-08-2019, 04:32 PM
AMAZE(ing) ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
I know. Im just pointing out the hypocrisy
Aha. I agree. Well said.
Old 15-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
I vote whenever I am invited to.
Happy to stand corrected on this one. I couldn't recall a candidates name appearing on my ballot paper, I thought it just said the party name.
You vote for the person. Their names are right there on the paper.

You dont vote directly for the party in a GE.
Old 15-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post

Ssssh. Bwexit fachts...
Old 15-08-2019, 05:26 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Well you vote for a candidate, albeit one who would be the representative for your area rather than the party leader. So you are voting for the party as a whole.

Still, we all know that you're voting primarily for the person fronting the party.
Old 15-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

True, and in fact it was only in 1970 that party names were allowed on the ballot paper, after someone changed their name to Ted Heath and stood against him

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 15-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I admire MPs who change parties and call a bi-election as I think they are principled. Shouldn't be compulsory though because there will be special circumstances.
Old 15-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Totnes was about 54% leave and there are loads of MPs in a similar situation who continue to vote against it.

I do understand the point the OP is making, but itís never the case that all the MPs vote in favour of everything in their partyís manifesto anyway.

I think one could argue that itís actually more honest of her to leave the Tories and join the Lib Dems, rather than keep voting against her own party. Her local party can now select a new Tory candidate to fight against her for the Totnes seat in the next General Election, which could be just round the corner.
This is what will happen in Streatham, a Labour stronghold..

Chukka will no doubt fight Cable's Twickenham seat
Old 15-08-2019, 06:43 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Indeed.

Whilst I'm a Labour voter, Fatty Soames our Tory MP in mid Sussex is a heavyweight in more ways than one, likeable, irascible and not a fan of the cabinet.

He gets my thumbs up as a good local servant, but not my vote
Old 15-08-2019, 06:54 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
This is what will happen in Streatham, a Labour stronghold..

Chukka will no doubt fight Cable's Twickenham seat
Be interesting to see what Chukka's end game is? The Libs are probably a stepping stone and I wouldn't feel too comfortable if I were Swinson.
Old 15-08-2019, 08:25 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thatís not true though, is it?