Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
Kids needs shorter day rather than longer days. It’s been tested I think in finland to give kids shorter days and it has show they learn more.

School is glorified childcare really. Kids should be learning from school but by also learning from their parents and doing hobbies etc. How can a child learn from their parent if they are working all the time.
Don't disagree. It is argued, quite persuasively, that a later morning start is beneficial for teenagers. And we also tend to start our school lives at an earlier age than our continental friends.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:19 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Where will the money come from to pay more....are you happy for your taxes to increase to cover this, and/or to pay more for products and services?

Businesses run a 7 day week if it is in their financial interest to do so. That doesn’t necessarily follow that they can easily absorb paying out more in salaries.

Sorry, I think you’re being far too simplistic to say ‘they’ll have to pay more’.
The richest 1000 people in the last ten years have seen their wealth go from 200 billion to 700 billion. There is more money about than ever.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:19 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Didn't France try this, and are now reverting back?

Over here, 9/80 is pretty popular. You get every other Friday off (or any other day I guess) but still work 80 hours in two weeks.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
The richest 1000 people in the last ten years have seen their wealth go from 200 billion to 700 billion. There is more money about than ever.

Perhaps. But economies should be run for the benefit of all the people, not just with policies aimed at the richest (who are much more able to avoid the deleterious affects of such policies than those who have little choice but to remain the in country).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 08-09-2019, 01:40 PM

BringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If it's going to change I'd be more in favour of 6 hour days 5 days a week.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:20 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Some ***** at my work do **** all in the 5 they turn up for, so they will be able to come in on O.T. and put their feet up for another day no problem.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
An idea that is only just daydreaming but it would be good to have some idea for the population to do on this extra day off that isnt just drinking beer. To encourage hobbies or learning new skills, or volunteering to help others. This concept would take alot of adjusting for the majority of society to get but would be beneficial.

You could get some form of tax credit for doing these exercises. The more non-profit social clubs etc which run themselves the better, the world is too based on profits which essentially means everyone is chasing a pound rather personal growth.

Alot people who are primarily work focused don’t cook, clean, read, express themselves doing art or hobbies, but yet would be seen as successful because they have lots of money rather than being a rounded developed human.

Last edited by MFBias; 08-09-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Double post.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
I'm sure the arguments against a 4 day working week are exactly the same that were against going from a 5 1/2 day working week to a 5 day working week, and when a 6 day working week was reduced to 5 1/2.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM

swissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is here
Already exists in companies that enforce one day WFH each week to reduce office costs by hot desking. Place I just left nobody and I mean nobody did anything on the day off - I mean WFH day
Old 08-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
I just don’t see a direct link between people like that (who probably make their money on the stock market and property empires), and the thousands of businesses in this country who you’d like to employ their staff for 4 days on a full wage, and then employ someone else to cover.

How many of that 1000 are U.K. taxpayers even?
Old 08-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissroll View Post
Already exists in companies that enforce one day WFH each week to reduce office costs by hot desking. Place I just left nobody and I mean nobody did anything on the day off - I mean WFH day
This only works in a limited range of desk-based jobs. And I’d say your company was poorly run because line managers should be checking that work done at home is indeed done.

The ‘working from home’ initiative is also irrelevant to those in catering, entertainment, customer-facing roles, education, health care, transport, care services, retail, food prep, sport, police, emergency services etc etc.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
My salary stays the same for do I have to take a 20% pay cut?

Same salary for 4 days, where do I sign up?
In the dole office along with many others I would think.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:37 PM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
Some ***** at my work do **** all in the 5 they turn up for, so they will be able to come in on O.T. and put their feet up for another day no problem.
Any jobs going at your place?

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Where will the money come from to pay more....are you happy for your taxes to increase to cover this, and/or to pay more for products and services?

Businesses run a 7 day week if it is in their financial interest to do so. That doesn’t necessarily follow that they can easily absorb paying out more in salaries.

Sorry, I think you’re being far too simplistic to say ‘they’ll have to pay more’.
Its exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see taxes cover. A lot of retail businesses aren't much more than a cost covering exercise on weekdays. We used to manage not that long ago, being closed on Sundays and half day Wednesdays - Retail workers have been completely shafted over working Saturdays and Sundays. A lot of retail workers work 5 days weeks whilst the business is open 7 days a week.

Problem would always be how to manage the extra day off (should it be the same day for everyone?)
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Quote:
I just don’t see a direct link between people like that (who probably make their money on the stock market and property empires), and the thousands of businesses in this country who you’d like to employ their staff for 4 days on a full wage, and then employ someone else to cover.

and herein lies the issue. Why would anyone in these thousands take the equity risk of running a business in this country if this stuff is mandated. Along with the 10% of shares confiscated idea, there comes a point where entrepreneurs and business owners simply say enough. AT this point workers get all five days off.

What adds to this is if I understand Labour correctly, they want to do another deal with the EU and then put it to the vote - so remain or leave with a deal. OK. Superimpose this and you are in a situation where this businesses large enough could operate from elsewhere in the EU so access the UK market without having to deal with this stuff.

It's the usual BS of promising something without fully thinking through whom is going to pay for it.

Isn't it great where, coming into an election, both of the main parties seem hell-bent on damaging the economy. It's also an indictment that there is no other party capable of exploiting what should be an open goal.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:39 PM

tsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There’s been a lot of studies which show a 4 day working week in a lot of office project based jobs is as if not more productive than a 5 day week as the increased rest and ability to do other things allows you to work harder.

Only works in some industries but I am sure in Mine (banking risk) it definitely would.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissroll;14 . 910754
I see you point but this is slightly different. The change from 5 to 4 days isn't about the productivity of people working from home, but more about not needing to have a workforce work 5 days a week.

Last edited by MFBias; 08-09-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:

Well exactly, all the wealth is stockpiled and circulated by those that prospect and move money around. This doesn't trickle down at any meaningful rate. I think it was Socrates or Plato who said that there should be a 4 to 1 ratio between the highest paid and lowest paid in a society/company to be a fair means. Now it is more like 300 to 1 and beyond.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
Its exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see taxes cover. A lot of retail businesses aren't much more than a cost covering exercise on weekdays. We used to manage not that long ago, being closed on Sundays and half day Wednesdays - Retail workers have been completely shafted over working Saturdays and Sundays. A lot of retail workers work 5 days weeks whilst the business is open 7 days a week.

Problem would always be how to manage the extra day off (should it be the same day for everyone?)
I agree with you re retail workers being shafted over working weekends. I remember when they were paid a higher rate, especially for Sundays. That seems to have mostly gone now.

I see my local butcher has decided to shut on Mondays, which I think is a sensible decision...especially during the summer months when his staff also run a lot of hog roasts at weekend events. Giving everyone Monday off seems a good solution and I assume he’s analysed his week and knows that is his weakest day of trading.

But many retailers are tied to leases that insist they open 7 days, particularly in places such as shopping centres.