Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Daniel Johnston Dies

Probably not well known on here, but one of my favourites. An honest and affecting song writer. A troubled but gentle soul. RIP, Daniel.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:00 PM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
Very sad news. I got to see him once. The documentary is amazing.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:13 AM

Palace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Don't be sad
I know you will
Old 12-09-2019, 03:34 AM

wavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw him at The Windmill in Brixton probably more than a decade ago. It was brilliant, emotional and awkward all at once. I hope the world always makes room for people like Daniel Johnston.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
RIP Daniel.

Most probably for another thread but I wonder if marginal acts like Daniel Johnston can break through to a wider audience in today's increasingly homogenous popular culture?I

The reason I say this is I've gone to loads of gigs over the last 30+ years and where the likes of Billy Bragg, John Cooper Clark & John Otway, if not household names, gained mainstream notoriety, the modern day versions have no chance of this, not even as a novelty act. When I go and see the genius that is Jeffrey Lewis, he plays in front of 100 or so fans which tells me there is little interest in an inventive and original songwriter like Daniel Johnston in our modern age.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:48 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
It was financed by record sales. Until money starts going back into recorded music, it’s going to be lean times for creators outside the mainstream.
RIP to an unique songwriter.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:50 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Hadn't realised that Lana Del Ray had covered 'Some Things Last a Long Time'. Good on her. Hopefully the royalties were useful to Daniel. Once again, good to see like minded souls on here.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
RIP Daniel.

Most probably for another thread but I wonder if marginal acts like Daniel Johnston can break through to a wider audience in today's increasingly homogenous popular culture?I

The reason I say this is I've gone to loads of gigs over the last 30+ years and where the likes of Billy Bragg, John Cooper Clark & John Otway, if not household names, gained mainstream notoriety, the modern day versions have no chance of this, not even as a novelty act. When I go and see the genius that is Jeffrey Lewis, he plays in front of 100 or so fans which tells me there is little interest in an inventive and original songwriter like Daniel Johnston in our modern age.

My bug bear about modern music. It’s all so lame, straight, ‘cool’, formulaic and normal. Boring as hell.

The Johnstone’s and Syd Barrett’s of this world are not considered worthy or financially viable. Great songwriters/artists are normally born from mental disfuntionality, and once upon a time we embraced that.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 AM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
Someone made a video of the gig I went to. It was a cool venue.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Old 12-09-2019, 11:49 AM
legit