Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 17-09-2019, 12:34 PM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Sakho - Still undecided

It isn't just the spurs match but that highlighted something that I have noticed. Generally at least once a match he makes an error so obvious so outstandingly bad that you can only gasp. The rest of the time he is pretty good. however although he gets away with the error a lot of the time - the gift to the opposition forward is blasted over or someone else slides in with a last minute tackle there are significant numbers of occasions where he does not and the other side get an easy goal.

It is why he does not play for a top six team and also why, despite the tendency of people on here to think he is wonderful, he is still with us and there have been precious few rumours that he is going anywhere else.

I'm not saying he is rubbish I am just saying I don't think he is the savior a lot of people seem to think.

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis
Old 17-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
We just play much better football when he's starting the attacks, imo.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:43 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
He is our best ever centre back.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Bungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBungalow came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Agreed. He looks short on pace too.
We really must try and sign a young, promising and fast CB in January.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Since 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
It isn't just the spurs match but that highlighted something that I have noticed. Generally at least once a match he makes an error so obvious so outstandingly bad that you can only gasp. The rest of the time he is pretty good. however although he gets away with the error a lot of the time - the gift to the opposition forward is blasted over or someone else slides in with a last minute tackle there are significant numbers of occasions where he does not and the other side get an easy goal.

It is why he does not play for a top six team and also why, despite the tendency of people on here to think he is wonderful, he is still with us and there have been precious few rumours that he is going anywhere else.

I'm not saying he is rubbish I am just saying I don't think he is the savior a lot of people seem to think.
David Luiz plays for a top 6 team and makes more than one error a game. Its the other qualities he brings, same with Sakho.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:50 PM

BillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think he is brilliant. Not good enough for a Man City but comfortably good enough to play for a champions league team. In my opinion the thing that stops champions league teams wanting him is his injury record. Despite him being a fantastic footballer I wish we hadn't bought him given the 25m fee and over 100k per week wages. It is far too much for a club of our size when he misses over a third of a season every year.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
He's one of our best ever centre backs. Every player has a dip in form at some point. I love the fact he plays for us.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:54 PM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinkins View Post
And this is the sort of reply that I would have laid money I would have received. I know a lot of neutrals who cannot understand why we paid the money we did for him and why we think he is so good based on the evidence of how he is playing for us. Yet this is the kind of response Palace fans give. I do not understand it.

I take El Aguila's point and then have to say but is that worth the inevitable errors and given away goals. Proportionally last season we were more likely to win when he wasn't playing for us. Only a bit but it really made no real difference to our overall results so is he that good - I don't really think so but I do think he is good.

Take the point on David Luiz but I think that he is definitely overrated as well - he is not the answer to Arsenal's defensive problems as was clear against Watford.

Anyway I was just musing - I think I prefer my defenders to be able to defend first and foremost - which is a bit of an old fashioned view I suspect.

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis

Last edited by sw16girl; 17-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is here
He's always a bit shit for a few weeks after coming back from injury, and he's injured half the season, but for 15 games a year he's cla
Old 17-09-2019, 01:03 PM

wrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalow View Post
Think he is short of fitness he realy got done for pace on one occasion at spurs but not seen him done like that before still a good centre half but takes a lot of risks
Old 17-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
It's the amount of injuries that concerns me.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:12 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post

What is good about him ( distribution / athleticism ) is as good as any defender I've seen at Palace. What's bad about him ( like you say, at least one glaring error per match ) plus his massive wages, makes him a 50 / 50 proposition for me, too. I'd rather have two James Tomkins than one JT ( shudder -same initials as John Terry ) and Sakho in the center of defence, especially when you consider Sakho's huge wages that could have been utilized in more vital areas.

I hoped ( and wrote ) over the summer that my dream would be to shed Sahko and Benteke instead of AWB, with Sahko still being a quality player but costing way too much for the number of games and overall performances. Of course, we do look so much better establishing attacks with him in the team -that is undeniable -but overall, I'd be fine to have him off the books in January or the summer and with 25M+ coming in. I think Sakho's a financial luxury and an occasional liability for a team with far more pressing issues in midfield and attack and whose Zaha fee may not go nearly as far as some might think. As for now, I'm glad Sakho's back in contention but that's nothing compared to how much we need performances from our other two massive wage earners at the club and I'm not even sure a Tomkins / Cahill partnership wouldn't be my preferred choice, injuries permitting.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:13 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Everyone under the sun knows that he has a tendency to have one bloomer per match. Sometimes it results in a goal but most often doesn't, strangely. However, he is our best football playing centre back by a country mile. He's amazingly composed and 9 times out of 10 find the right and best pass out of defence and often that pass creates an opportunity further up the pitch. Saturday was woeful by the whole defence as a unit. He was ridiculously rusty, but physically and mentally. He generally reads the game well but he didn't even do that against Spurs.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:13 PM

Palacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalow View Post

He looked really slow on Saturday. I appreciate that it was his first game for a while, but at one point he looked like he was running through treacle.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Palacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacebear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc View Post
Think he is short of fitness he realy got done for pace on one occasion at spurs but not seen him done like that before still a good centre half but takes a lot of risks

I think I know the moment you are on about, he had a 10yd head start and got absolutely roasted for pace.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:21 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palacebear View Post
I think I know the moment you are on about, he had a 10yd head start and got absolutely roasted for pace.
Unless Son has turned into Ussin Bolt overnight well assume that was a one off.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:29 PM

KingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKingClinton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Captained pretty much all french international youth sides.
Youngest ever captain for PSG. On his full league debut.

If he didn’t make the one shocking error per game and was fit all season he would play for a top 4/5 team anywhere in the world.

Who are we replacing Sakho with sorry ? What’s Aaron Martin upto these days ?
Old 17-09-2019, 01:32 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1968 View Post
David Luiz plays for a top 6 team and makes more than one error a game. It’s the other qualities he brings, same with Sakho.
This. The reason Sakho isn’t playing for Liverpool right now was a falling out with Klopp over fat burners, and missing a couple of training sessions. He’s just as good if not better than Lovren, who was still a starting centre back there up until recently. Easily good enough for Arsenal, Man United or Chelsea too.

The reason he hasn’t been snapped up by anyone (although Lyon were after him I believe), is that he’s old and injury prone. He’s good, but not so good that he’d transform a big clubs defense, and therefore not worth buying at his age and injury record.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 17-09-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
I don’t even know where to start with this thread. Sakho is not the problem in this team. Him & Tomkins are one of the best centre back pairings this club has ever had the privilege of fielding. If Sakho didn’t have the odd error in him, there’s no way he’d be wasting his time at a club of our level.

Our full backs right now on the other hand...
Old 17-09-2019, 01:36 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinkins View Post
This is undoubtably true, he also makes everyone around him look a far better player than they are.

He clearly was neither properly fit or match sharp on Saturday.