Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:13 PM
FFS 4.4.2!!

GRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Does he?
Where's plan B?
What happens when inevitable injuries happens?
We might be getting the rub of the green now but he shows no sign of flexibility when sit hits the fan during a match. We are incapable of taking game to opposition at home we use same tactics home or away. That is my problem with Roy.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just look at Norwich great to watch capable of some great football but a bit of a soft touch and getting overun and shipping loads of goals.

Thought we played some nice stuff yesterday good possession football in the 1st half without creating too much.

It's all about getting the balance right there is room for creative players but we need to be competitive all over the pitch and not get overun in the Midfield Area.

Just look at Wilf in the game against Wolves thought his all round game was excellent not frightened to work hard and make tackles good work defensively and obviously a major threat to the opposition.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I'm not at all sure that Camarasa really has more in his "locker" than James McCarthy does. McCarthy is a very, very good player and seems a bit underrated on here.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
It's all about the exotic name. There are still some on here who think Kaviedes was a great player that should have been given more of a chance.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlee11 View Post
Brilliant win tonight, no doubt about that.

ay.

Roy has got to try adding more creativity into midfield. Who do you think drops out after the international break? Personally just can't see MM or VC ever starting for Palace again without an injury forcing Roy's hand.

I'm delighted with our form this season but I'd love to see this team reach it's potential and start playing some exciting football, at a higher tempo.
A few times on FYP , Adam Sells ( I think ) has spoken of this . He was saying that out of the Summer Signings , the ones RH really wanted were Cahill , Ayew and McCarthy . Also said a few times that Meyer has never really impressed and his lack of strength will always go against him .
Went on to say that he doesn't see Meyer or Camarasa playing many games for us are they are not RH type of players .
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 PM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
Exactly. It wasn't overly pretty and we perhaps got a little lucky with both goals - although both decisions were correct, the second in particular was marginal and you rarely get those away from home.

I'm perplexed at this forum though. It is not just this thread, but several posts over the last 24 hours that seem as if we have started the season poorly. Usually we win a game and everyone gets carried away with positivity, or we lose and it's the end of the world. Both are over the top reactions in most cases.

But we have just won away from home in a game where we were the better team, and as a result have gone to 4th in the league. Enjoy it guys, because with the squad that Hodgson has been given to work with, it's unlikely to last. And that is irrespective of whether he uses attacking midfielders or not.

For what it's worth though; buying someone to compete with Ayew for the first choice striker spot must be the priority in January imo. Wickham and Benteke are both finished here.
Agree. This thread is a joke. We dont have a proper striker and Zaha/Townsend havent hit form yet this season yet still joint 4th. How can anyone question anything is a joke. But i do notice its the usual suspects who said we were almost certainly down after the Sheff Utd game.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I'm not at all sure that Camarasa really has more in his "locker" than James McCarthy does. McCarthy is a very, very good player and seems a bit underrated on here.
It was always hard to know what we would get with him having played so little football over the last couple of years.

Would he stay fit for one?
Was he still the same player?

He still hasn't played enough to make real conclusions from but his first start has certainly shown some promise.

We know how much Roy likes McArthur and Kouyate has also done well this season. I expect Luka to come back in to face Man City but I don't think his place in the starting line up is necessarily guaranteed at the moment.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:28 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
It was always hard to know what we would get with him having played so little football over the last couple of years.

Would he stay fit for one?
Was he still the same player?

He still hasn't played enough to make real conclusions from but his first start has certainly shown some promise.

We know how much Roy likes McArthur and Kouyate has also done well this season. I expect Luka to come back in to face Man City but I don't think his place in the starting line up is necessarily guaranteed at the moment.
Played well but was blowing chunks when subbed. So has to build some fitness.

I have the feeling he might turn out to be another steal of a signing al la Cahill and Ayew... fingers crossed
Old 07-10-2019, 04:59 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpfcbob View Post
look up man city 'rondo' we're simply copying them, in training and on pitch

Great video that.

Certainly looks that way. Not seen many Palace teams in my 40 years anyway, that are able to manoeuvre the ball as we do to get out of tight spaces or create openings.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
Pretty sure Stoke fans wanted a bit more creativity a few years ago...
Yep. And they got 4 consecutive top half finishes before changing things again and going down.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 AM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
Careful. Daring to say such things will have you accused of negativity. By people who will likely wet the bed if we lose four games on the spin.

But I agree we need something to change because we can't keep winning narrow games, especially one's where, like today, the oppo created more and better chances. We are doing well but are hardly 'opening teams up' as a means to scoring. Lots of opportunistic goals is great but they won't come forever and I think, if we dare be objective whilst in fourth place, we can only benefit by adding a little guile. Of course, you can only say that after we fail to create chances AND fail to score a scrappy goal, given the current reaction to those who dare say we aren't playing as well as our otherwise excellent start would suggest.

I'd love to try Zaha and Townsend up front with Meyer brought in behind. Ayew has done absolutely nothing wrong in terms of finishing, but we still lack the kind of controlled, accurate penetration other teams demonstrate in how they score goals and I think having a bit more guile up front and in a CAM role would help. Of course, we won again today so there is nothing to talk about because we will definitely keep winning like we are...
Dropping Ayew would be a monstrous mistake. There are three players that press in our team and he's one of them.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 AM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
That's the point some here are making. Our general passing in the middle was as good as we've seen for a long time ( hence the debate as to whether Luka should lose his place to McCarthy ) but much of that was West Ham did not press us as hard as other teams. Even then, the quality of the ball that counts most, the final ball, remained behind that of West Ham, who carved through our defence much more often to create more, clear cut chances. Thankfully, they blew almost all of them.

If we had a technician able to make clever through balls and a striker pacy enough to get onto them, this team genuinely would be chasing Europe. You are right to say Zaha can't do it all on his own. What's scary is that a major reason for our improvement over the last few games has been our talisman playing better so we are back to still relying utterly on him, as the only real creative force in our starting eleven. ( Partly because we won't play Meyer or Camarasa ) Another factor that demonstrates our need for improved creativity, beyond how scrappy and sometimes fortunate our wins have been, is Andros Townsend. We were heading towards a draw in both our last games before his introduction, as the only other truly creative player on the field, swung the game. Just like how we can't keep relying on Zaha's fitness or contribution, we can't keep expecting Townsend to come on the pitch and win the game. We also can't keep expecting to pick up wins in matches where we played teams who created more chances than we did or via penalties or sending offs. Factor in the above and we are not nearly as secure as some might think.

So much has gone our way but saying that, or that we shouldn't necessarily rest on our laurels, makes you 'negative' here. Of course, should we collapse, like we did a few seasons back, many of the smug people here, bashing others for pissing on the self-congratulatory parade, will suddenly and conveniently forget their current attitude and join in with the weeping and wailing. That's because reactionary comments are what we do best here, on any subject, rather than objectivity.

I'm delighted at our start and still worried. The day that we 'look' like the winning team, through making better chances than the team we defeat, will be the day I feel a little more confident. I never believed we would be relegated last season because we looked better than at least six or seven teams. This season, I'm still waiting for a match where I could objectively say we outplayed the opposition. Our defence, despite all the criticism of Ward and PVA, has been our saving grace, along with the rub of the green at times. That combination has done far more to get us to 14 pts than the attacking qualities of our midfield or the strike force itself. I don't care that Ayew has scored three goals, despite my happiness that he has. My opinion remains that we are due for a bumping landing and a very strong emotional letdown when it happens.

If I'm wrong, I'll be delighted and agree with anyone who tells me so, with a big grin on my face. And I still think we'll stay up this season. But that's more because of the 14 pts and the cushion we have built. Should we fail to secure or play a better creative influence and / or a striker in January and should we persist with keeping Townsend out of the team and trying to win through solidity and opportunism, I think we'll be in for a long old season and be very grateful we started so well by season's end. And if Zaha gets injured...?
You are over analysing. That was an away match. We've been fantastic away under Roy. 3rd best away team in 2019. Only a fool would change that.

At home it needs tweaking, yes.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Hector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Roy sets his teams up to be hard to beat and you can't knock that in terms of stats. I think everyone would love to see a free flowing attacking team but we don't have money to throw around on top class players. We could be more attacking but we'd probably be like Norwich. Results over performance or performance over results, we have to take results over performance unless we get a billionaire.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
"I want creativity"
*Team announced*
"Ffs boring Roy so negative"
*Palace win*

I rather like this cycle atm, long may it continue. Not that pretty to watch at times, but it's almost like Roy knows what he's doing (Palace 3rd in the form table in 2019).

Alternatively, we could have created the 3rd most chances in the league, like Watford, and be bottom, like Watford.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Prodigal Son

Mad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is here
I don't think we should change much for the next six games, but if we can come through them with say 6-8 points, it would give us some breathing space to experiment a bit. One thing that has changed - and it's paid off two games running - is that Roy has started making late attacking substitutions rather than just looking to keep it tight. Maybe lessons were leant from throwing a win away against Wolves and nearly doing the same against Villa.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:13 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Raschic Ken View Post
I don't think we should change much for the next six games, but if we can come through them with say 6-8 points, it would give us some breathing space to experiment a bit. One thing that has changed - and it's paid off two games running - is that Roy has started making late attacking substitutions rather than just looking to keep it tight. Maybe lessons were leant from throwing a win away against Wolves and nearly doing the same against Villa.
It could be though that this season we actually have players on the bench that Roy trusts to make a difference.

Back on topic I watched the game closely on TV last night;

Kouyate's workrate and the ground he covered was exceptional. However technically he is woeful, his passing and control is dire.

Against Man City we will need that extra man energy and cover, I do wonder though whether when we play lesser teams at home who we need to actually breakdown rather than counter attack on whether it would be more productive to play a Camarasa or Meyer over Kouyate.

MacArthur and McCarthy are technically far better than Kouyate, far better.

McCarthy still lacks a little fitness but like Cahill seems to have a genuine hunger, perhaps inspired by enforced time out of the game.

Michael Hughes was the same
Old 07-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Palace till I die

casinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecasinocolin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Raschic Ken View Post

Why would you want to start experimenting when you have 20-22 points after 14 games?

Last season if you had 22 points after 14 games you would be 6th in the table and with 20 points you would be 9th and with the 7 games following the next 6, we could be getting a total of at least 17pts from Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton & Norwich, which would put us in 6th or 7th position compared to last seasons table.

If only we could achieve this. No way would Roy be experimenting after the next six games.

Steve Parish our greatest chairmen.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Prodigal Son

Mad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by casinocolin View Post
Why would you want to start experimenting when you have 20-22 points after 14 games?

Last season if you had 22 points after 14 games you would be 6th in the table and with 20 points you would be 9th and with the 7 games following the next 6, we could be getting a total of at least 17pts from Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton & Norwich, which would put us in 6th or 7th position compared to last seasons table.

If only we could achieve this. No way would Roy be experimenting after the next six games.
Because that is the point in the season at which we will be playing teams more likely to sit back against us and we will need to find a way to break them down. It won't be an issue in the next few games and we are going to have to prioritise defence in those games. It is unsustainable though to continue to get results by relying on the odd goal here and there. So, once comfortable in the league, it will give us freedom to try one or two things. If you don't do it then, when do you?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Talking of creative midfield players, how good was Yarmelenko(sp) for West Ham. Everything good that they did seemed to come through him; I was mighty glad to see him being subbed.
Old 15-10-2019, 04:08 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin View Post
You are over analysing. That was an away match. We've been fantastic away under Roy. 3rd best away team in 2019. Only a fool would change that.

At home it needs tweaking, yes.
You're saying I'm over-analysing? I normally agree with you and the in-depth analysis you normally deliver to back up your points. Which is why I'm laughing at what you wrote to me.