Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 15-10-2019, 11:39 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Immigrate or Emigrate

In the early 2000s I built a pan European media brand from London. At the time London was a city of opportunity and many young, talented Europeans moved here to build careers and find opportunity that was either closed to them at home or would take years to get into.

I employed mainly Brits but also French, Germans, Italians and a Finnish guy all of whom subsequently went on to have successful careers elsewhere.

With London rents what they now are, the weakness of the pound and of course the spectre of Brexit I very much doubt similar Europeans are moving to London in such numbers. Moreover lots of talented, ambitious young Brits want to get out.

So the question is would you recommend a 24 year old Brit with a degree and a sharp eye to stay in the UK or leave for pastures new?

Likewise would you recommend say their Danish equivalent move to London?
Old 15-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Also, to chuck in the mix, the UK extends to more places than London.
Old 15-10-2019, 12:31 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Fair point
Old 15-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
I chuck it in as you ask would you recommend a Dane move to work in London. As someone born and raised in London I chose to live and work in not-London... so short answer, no.

At work, in my immediate team of 10, we have one person who is English (I think, havent grilled them on their full family tree) and everyone else is either from, or descended from (to grandparents), or married to someone from the EU or Commonwealth and they all seem to love it here.
Old 15-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Climbing for dollars

On the flip side, I've got about half a dozen friends and relatives who've all used their right to go and live and work in other EU countries and they've loved it too
Old 15-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
On the flip side, I've got about half a dozen friends and relatives who've all used their right to go and live and work in other EU countries and they've loved it too
So would you recommend a younger European version of yourself to move to the UK today?

Likewise would you recommend a younger version of yourself to stay or go.

In 2005 I would have recommended the UK, in 2019 I simply can't
Old 15-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
I don’t think we can tell yet. It depends on what we end up with. Sad to say it but I know a number of firms who have jumped ship already to Paris, Lisbon, Holland. All with about 20 employees in the software or services sector.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 15-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Climbing for dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
So would you recommend a younger European version of yourself to move to the UK today?

I wouldn't have recommended London then or now, but post-Brexit I wouldn't recommend the UK
Old 15-10-2019, 01:29 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Expatriate

Last edited by CP-RJW; 15-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 15-10-2019, 01:38 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
I'd say try living abroad, you seem successful and young, why not experience the world a bit more.
Old 15-10-2019, 01:40 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
In the early 2000s I built a pan European media brand from London. At the time London was a city of opportunity and many young, talented Europeans moved here to build careers and find opportunity that was either closed to them at home or would take years to get into.

I employed mainly Brits but also French, Germans, Italians and a Finnish guy all of whom subsequently went on to have successful careers elsewhere.

With London rents what they now are, the weakness of the pound and of course the spectre of Brexit I very much doubt similar Europeans are moving to London in such numbers. Moreover lots of talented, ambitious young Brits want to get out.

So the question is would you recommend a 24 year old Brit with a degree and a sharp eye to stay in the UK or leave for pastures new?

Likewise would you recommend say their Danish equivalent move to London?
If you're 24 now, how did you manage to build a successful media brand in the early 2000s? Are you some kind of child prodigy? In 2010 you'd only have been 15 (ish)
Old 15-10-2019, 01:44 PM
The Stockton SLAP

STOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The London rental market is tipped against any young person, who in your industry is also likely to emerge post-university saddled with debt they won't shift until they're 30.

It's incredibly hard for people of that age to feel secure, confident and establish themselves in London due to the many market forces working against them.

But, London is where the opportunities are - nowhere in Europe gets close to offering the diversity of job roles so a lot of the ambitious, bright new generation have to weigh this up against the reality that they'll lose over half their salary to rent, travel, and general living and won't be able to save for several years.
"You should be ashamed. You’re now so boujee you complain about Watford being horrible. Be proud of what palace are - blue collar, tough south London club. Never forget what you are." - Damien Delaney 16/03/2019
Old 15-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Climbing for dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
If you're 24 now, how did you manage to build a successful media brand in the early 2000s? Are you some kind of child prodigy? In 2010 you'd only have been 15 (ish)
I thought everyone knew he was the Doogie Howser of the media world?
Old 15-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
Ha, Ha, I am 54. I wasn't asking the question for myself!

Sorry for the poor phrasing it was a hypothetical question. My view is Britain has benefited massively from attracting young talent and am frightened that the reverse is now happening, but wanted to test this hypothesis by floating it on the Good Ship BBS.

Apologies if my post was misleading in any way
Old 15-10-2019, 02:11 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
I think we're a lot less attractive to young bright talented people from abroad than we were 20 years ago.

I'm not convinced we'll lose a great deal of talent born here, partly because however bright people are, Brits are far less likely to either be fluent in another language or be willing to learn one to move abroad.

Werner Herzog
Old 15-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
I thought everyone knew he was the Doogie Howser of the media world?
Fair enough, I have left myself wide open and ripe for ridicule. And given I give it, I am not going to complain about taking it when justified.

However, it would be good if folk also commented on the point I was (poorly and over personally) trying to make.
Old 15-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Climbing for dollars

Post-Brexit there are 26 other EU countries your hypothetical Dane has the right to go and live and work in. They'd need a visa to come here.

That alone will put people off I would have thought.
Old 15-10-2019, 02:53 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
I think we're a lot less attractive to young bright talented people from abroad than we were 20 years ago.

I'm not convinced we'll lose a great deal of talent born here, partly because however bright people are, Brits are far less likely to either be fluent in another language or be willing to learn one to move abroad.
Things have become slightly more attractive with the announcement of the change in post-graduation leave to work in the UK. Not much, but will make a difference to some.
Old 16-10-2019, 03:51 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:

At 24 they should go and explore a different culture abroad imo
Old 16-10-2019, 06:51 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Why would a talented young person want to come to the UK when the official goverment policy is a hostile environment and they would be liable to expulsion on a civil servant's whim?