Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 16-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Vicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Should it be frowned upon to state publicly how you voted?

As we approach a general election with all that entails, I was thinking about how the political temperature could be dialled down and cool down some of the frantic nonsense that has made political discourse impossible over the last four or five years.

The way I see it is that the way someone votes should be somebodies own personal choice and the result of that person doing their own research and voting in line with their needs and with their own conscience.

Now you could never ban such a thing but I see it as similar to somebody who discusses how much money they give to charity, it stops being something that they wanted to do for somebody else and starts to be something which benefits themselves.

This is a particular problem with the left (probably because they are better online campaigners and tend to campaign on emotive issues) as they race onto every online platform to express that they have voted for the good guys and therefore they must be truly virtuous in the rest of their life. It grates unbelievably and to me it promotes the dumbing down of politics and perpetuates the herd culture where people don't think for themselves, they merely see some snappy slogan see something that seems fashionable and vote that way.

If political parties didn't know that people online would peddle their empty slogans quite so feverishly maybe they might concentrate on actually going into detail.

Maybe I am just prematurely middle aged but I find the whole thing just becomes unbearable in the run up to a general election (and afterwards if Labour don't win like 2015 protests).
Old 16-10-2019, 12:22 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicmo View Post

This is a particular problem with the left (probably because they are better online campaigners and tend to campaign on emotive issues) as they race onto every online platform to express that they have voted for the good guys and therefore they must be truly virtuous in the rest of their life. It grates unbelievably and to me it promotes the dumbing down of politics and perpetuates the herd culture where people don't think for themselves, they merely see some snappy slogan see something that seems fashionable and vote that way.

If political parties didn't know that people online would peddle their empty slogans quite so feverishly maybe they might concentrate on actually going into detail).
The left? You have just described above everything that the brexit campaign did.
Old 16-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
As we approach a general election with all that entails, I was thinking about how the political temperature could be dialled down and cool down some of the frantic nonsense that has made political discourse impossible over the last four or five years.

The way I see it is that the way someone votes should be somebodies own personal choice and the result of that person doing their own research and voting in line with their needs and with their own conscience.

Now you could never ban such a thing but I see it as similar to somebody who discusses how much money they give to charity, it stops being something that they wanted to do for somebody else and starts to be something which benefits themselves.

If political parties didn't know that people online would peddle their empty slogans quite so feverishly maybe they might concentrate on actually going into detail.

Maybe I am just prematurely middle aged but I find the whole thing just becomes unbearable in the run up to a general election (and afterwards if Labour don't win like 2015 protests).
#ShyToryProblems
Old 16-10-2019, 01:03 PM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
It's perfectly acceptable to say how you voted and if you vote the opposite to me I can say you're wrong because x,y and z but I would hate to think I would make someone feel ashamed of the way they voted.The best thing about living in a democracy is having the right to express an opinion.
Old 16-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:

Whilst I don't agree with this bigging up yourself on the way that you vote, if someone feels good about the way they voted, why not talk about it?

Of course, if they are actually ashamed it does beg the question why vote that way ... ?
Old 16-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:

You sure?

There’s been more political discourse than ever before.

Cricket wanker.
Old 16-10-2019, 01:24 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
No, there is no consequence here for exercising your free speech. It should also not be frowned upon to decline to state how you voted, or to be expected to tell the truth.
Old 16-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Have heard a quote in the past about it best not to talk about religion and politics.

When there is a subject that divides so massively, like Brexit, then I think it is even more true.

I think people only want to talk about it to reaffirm their own opinions.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 16-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:

"Bexit means Brexit", "Leave means leave" "Strong and Stable"

Smells like guilty tory syndrome to me.
Old 16-10-2019, 01:54 PM

Vicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVicmo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
You sure?

There’s been more political discourse than ever before.
Perhaps I should have said productive political discourse haha.
Old 16-10-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Have heard a quote in the past about it best not to talk about religion and politics.

When there is a subject that divides so massively, like Brexit, then I think it is even more true.

I think people only want to talk about it to reaffirm their own opinions.
I think it's one of the things that is becoming apparent since social media really took hold. It's not open because people follow people/groups/organisations they agree with or reflect their views at that moment in time.

That has to be at least contributing to the way both major parties have veered away from the centre ground and why compromise and pragmatism are seen as dirty words the best example of which is Boris Johnson and his ERG mates voting multiple times against a Brexit deal because it wasn't a balls out 'clean break' (no such thing).
Old 16-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
"Bexit means Brexit", "Leave means leave" "Strong and Stable"

Smells like guilty tory syndrome to me.
Didn't see a lot of it online (because it was drivel). I''m only talking about people here not politicians. Politicians will continue being empty and vapid for as long as they are not being properly held to account by voters.
Old 16-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Jonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Can we ban:

I voted leave but ..., and
I am an old fashioned labour voter but... ?
Old 16-10-2019, 06:54 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Old 16-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:

Well you’d **** polling companies immediately as they wouldn’t be able to get their samples right. And they have enough of an issue at the moment with people embarrassed by how they voted in 2017.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 16-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Champagne Socialist

NickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is hereNickP Sam the man is here
"Should it be frowned upon..."

By whom?

You can frown upon anything you like.
Old 16-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
No, there is no consequence here for exercising your free speech. It should also not be frowned upon to decline to state how you voted, or to be expected to tell the truth.
Old 18-10-2019, 08:54 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Turn that around a bit.

Should it be a requirement to know how your MP voted? Should all members have a free vote on matters and for that to be anonymous?

Personally i think we should know how our representatives have voted and can then be challenged on their record at the next election but it is a question i have seen posed a few times.
Old 18-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Turn that around a bit.

Should it be a requirement to know how your MP voted? Should all members have a free vote on matters and for that to be anonymous?

Personally i think we should know how our representatives have voted and can then be challenged on their record at the next election but it is a question i have seen posed a few times.
Of course we should know how our MPs vote on an issue. Those votes are them exercising the mandate we have given them.

As for the public, surely this is just a matter of personal choice. If you want to be public about how you've voted, go for it. If you want to be private and not tell anyone, that's also cool. It's not really anyone else's business but at the same time, if you feel shame associated with the way you vote, you probably need to look at why you voted that way, or why your opinion of yourself is so governed by what other people think.
Old 19-10-2019, 04:16 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
I voted Tory all my life and that will never change.