Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: What's the best Floyd Album?
Piper at the Gates of Dawn 8 4.97%
A Saucerful of Secrets 0 0%
Soundtrack to "More" 1 0.62%
Ummagumma 3 1.86%
Atom Heart Mother 4 2.48%
Meddle 12 7.45%
Obscured By Clouds 2 1.24%
Dark Side of the Moon 47 29.19%
Wish You Were Here 32 19.88%
Animals 13 8.07%
The Wall 18 11.18%
The Final Cut 5 3.11%
I don't like Pink Floyd but thought I'd vote anyway 16 9.94%
A Momentary Lapse of Reason 0 0%
The Division Bell 0 0%
The Endless River 0 0%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
Van Morrison is from Belfast, I think.
Belfast is in Ireland, I think. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I like Thin Lizzy, too. I also liked that band from about ten years ago with the woman lead singer who had a wonderful voice, the one who later turned into an anti-abortion campaigner. They weren't that good really, but her voice was something special. I think we can count The Pogues as Irish, can't we? Best of all are The Undertones - I would have thought that's something every sane person can agree on.
Old 31-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Selhurst300
Meddle was excellent, but spoilt by the scousers' singing "you'll never walk alone".
I was playing that album reasonably loud one afternoon in College, and when it got to that bit I attracted some quizzical looks from my neighbours!

I love this album; it is so soothing. The first ever time I listened to it, I was very tired, and was drifting in and out of sleep all the way through this song and 'Echoes'. It's had an almost-hypnotic effect on me ever since.
Old 31-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Belfast is in Ireland, I think. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I like Thin Lizzy, too. I also liked that band from about ten years ago with the woman lead singer who had a wonderful voice, the one who later turned into an anti-abortion campaigner. They weren't that good really, but her voice was something special. I think we can count The Pogues as Irish, can't we? Best of all are The Undertones - I would have thought that's something every sane person can agree on.
You could have saved yourself from looking at worst a fool, and at best inattentive, by noting that the original question was "The only decent band ever to come out of the Republic of Ireland?". Do you mean the Cranberries?
Old 31-01-2003, 11:34 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just like to thank PK for starting this thread in the first place.

I was Dark Side of the Moon-ing and Wishing You Were Here-ing all the way home last night and all the way in to work this morning.

Both absolutely brilliant albums.
Old 31-01-2003, 01:14 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

the woman lead singer who had a wonderful voice, the one who later turned into an anti-abortion campaigner. but her voice was something special
Dana?
Old 31-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Apparently, i would assume most people into P F would know this, but as it's not been mentioned on here, not only did arguably the greatest albumn of all time DSotM provide fantastic listening, it also synch's in perfectly with the Wizard of Oz and that is a fact, whether it is a wieird coincendece or done on purpose has yet to be totally proven.

errrm btw did anyone ever enjoy tangerine dream ??
Old 31-01-2003, 01:47 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Quote:

errrm btw did anyone ever enjoy tangerine dream ??
Yes indeed.

Phaedra, Rubycon etc.
Old 31-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Apparently, i would assume most people into P F would know this, but as it's not been mentioned on here, not only did arguably the greatest albumn of all time DSotM provide fantastic listening, it also synch's in perfectly with the Wizard of Oz and that is a fact, whether it is a wieird coincendece or done on purpose has yet to be totally proven.
I had heard that before, but have never tested it.

Beats me how anyone discovered this link in the first place...
Old 31-01-2003, 06:02 PM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I also liked that band from about ten years ago with the woman lead singer who had a wonderful voice, the one who later turned into an anti-abortion campaigner. They weren't that good really, but her voice was something special.
River City People?

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Quote:
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
River City People?
Covered 'California Dreaming'.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Speaking of More and Obscured by Clouds (well the latter has got one vote ), has anyone ever seen the films these are soundtracks to? They always were obscure (I think I have a 1970 bootleg where Waters introduces 'Main Theme' as being from 'a film you won't have seen') but even Zabriskie Point gets on the telly now and then. It would be interesting to see them, even if it's just to spot the songs.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:05 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
I had heard that before, but have never tested it.

Beats me how anyone discovered this link in the first place...
Look at To view the link you have to Register or Login and feel a little bit scared.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Thanks for those that helped - it was The Cranberries, though I feel it is now safe to admit I had a thing for Dana when young.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Quote:
Originally posted by Men At Work
Look at To view the link you have to Register or Login and feel a little bit scared.
Well, that's me convinced!

I think initial versions of 'Echoes' had lyrics refering to outer space, and then Waters changed them to the sea because the band were concerned that too many space cadets were fans. Looks like some still are...
Old 27-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Bumpity-bump.

(Was almost going to post this on the 'Cover Versions' thread, but decided in the end this was more appropriate.) A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of Floyd tribute albums, which fans might be interested in.

The first was the Easy Star All-Stars' To view the link you have to Register or Login. I don't know much about reggae, but I do know about the Floyd, and this tribute really works. Obviously 'Money' was practically reggae to start with, but all the new versions fit perfectly with the originals whilst being obviously reggae. The album follows the structure of the original Dark Side of the Moon faithfully, with the songs being roughly the same length and segueing in the same fashion - even the sound effects and anonymous ramblings are recreated. There are four extra versions of songs which didn't make it into the album proper which I can easily take or leave, but the album is excellent and I would genuinely recommend it to any fans of Dark Side.

I had heard about Dub Side on its release, and whilst I was looking for it on the internet I chanced unexpectedly upon the second album. It is by Luther Wright & the Wrongs and called To view the link you have to Register or Login. They are a Canadian bluegrass band and it is, fairly obviously, a cover of The Wall. I must admit I bought this one in the expectation it would be a pure novelty, and to an extent it is, but that's not to say some of the songs don't work well - 'Young Lust' is especially good. This record echoes the above in the sense that the famous sound effects have been replicated (in a folksy way - e.g. 'this place is bigger than a barn'), but some of the lyrics have been bowdlerised ('queers and the coons and the reds and the Jews' becomes 'deer and raccoons and the mice and the shrews', for example), and they've been more liberal with the arrangement, managing to squeeze the whole thing into just over an hour. Overall, it doesn't sound as slick as Dub Side and doesn't really stand up on its own merit like that does, but if you've a penchant for novelty, country, or are just curious, then maybe it's worth the plunge.

So, have I got what it takes to be an expert record reviewer like Baloo?
Old 27-06-2003, 12:30 PM
American Hot

Captain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Got to be The Wall for me, I played it to death at the age of about 15. Absolutely the right sort of record for a pubescent teenager. Thanks to this thread I shall shortly be posting in the "subconsciuosly humming" thread.
Old 29-06-2003, 03:06 PM

mosschops is playing for a contract
Syd (Roger) Barrett is my hero. Has to be Piper. Meddle, Dark Side and Wish You Were Here good albums, especially Dark Side. Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist. Waters is a tit.
Old 30-06-2003, 01:18 AM

Ave Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses grow
Am I the only Pink Floyd fan in the world who thinks Dark Side of the Moon is rubbish? I just cant get in to it - however many times I listen.

My fave albums are The Wall and The Division Bell.
Old 30-06-2003, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Ave Satani
Quote:
Am I the only Pink Floyd fan in the world who thinks Dark Side of the Moon is rubbish?

Quote:
My fave albums are The Wall and The Division Bell.
Old 30-06-2003, 07:14 AM
Palace 'til i die

Aki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAki Aki Aki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
After Dark Side, Wish You Were Here comes a close and classy second.