Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 31-07-2020, 12:57 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Just reread The Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass and Lyra's Oxford - in preparation for and currently reading The book of Dust - La belle sauvage

SaulAlinsky
Old 31-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
When I was younger, I used to love the Sven Hassel books.
Love em.

Just finished Quartered Safe Out Here, superb.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:13 PM

Sakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSakhalin Rich : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I quite like reading (or listening to) a series of books around a character(s). A bit like putting on comfy clothes/shoes and the good series develop the characters and tie it all in. Michael Connelly is a fave with Harry Bosch starring and appearing in most of his books. Best to read the books in order and try to avoid the movies and series so you create the mental image in your own head. Josh McEvoy is another one of his characters in several good books in the same ‘universe’.

A good one off I listened to that should be a very good read is Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd. Another by same author called Restless is also good. Completely different stories and characters around interesting ideas. Listening to a third book by same author called Brazzaville Beach which couldn’t be more different to the others.
Think that I'll give William Boyd a go - getting good reviews on Amazon for the books you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:16 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Any other Ballard fans?
Old 31-07-2020, 11:21 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Clown Life.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:39 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Any other Ballard fans?
As in the more recent Connelly books? I.e. Ballard that works the night shift, sleeps on the beach and partners Bosch once he retires for the second time? Never heard of her ...... If that’s the one, she is growing on me slowly. Not as good yet as Bosch or McEvoy or Terry McCaleb. They just seem to flow naturally from the author but Ballard feels more of a struggle.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:07 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
As in the more recent Connelly books? I.e. Ballard that works the night shift, sleeps on the beach and partners Bosch once he retires for the second time? Never heard of her ...... If that’s the one, she is growing on me slowly. Not as good yet as Bosch or McEvoy or Terry McCaleb. They just seem to flow naturally from the author but Ballard feels more of a struggle.
I knew I knew the name... Read one or two of them.

I assumed Stella meant J. G. Ballard, but I might be over reading his post... Personally never heard of him.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 01-08-2020, 06:46 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Any other Ballard fans?

Read The Drowned World and The Drought back in the early 60s. Some of it was a bit over my head and there was a gap of a few years before I became hooked on the short stories. After which I read just about everything. Went to most of his book signings, he was always happy to exchange a few words.

He's an excellent writer who will be read and reread for decades.

Vermilion Sands is one of the best collection of short stories I've read.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Any other Ballard fans?
Empire of the Sun was an interesting read.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:23 AM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Any other Ballard fans?
Yes, read most of his works but a few years back now. The only one I remember not particularly enjoying was Crash. Empire of the Sun and The Kindness of Women are my favourites.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:42 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
Yes, read most of his works but a few years back now. The only one I remember not particularly enjoying was Crash. Empire of the Sun and The Kindness of Women are my favourites.
I've just found a copy of "Super Cannes". Have you read it, and if so is it worth a go?
Old 01-08-2020, 12:06 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I knew I knew the name... Read one or two of them.

I assumed Stella meant J. G. Ballard, but I might be over reading his post... Personally never heard of him.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Pretty sure you are right. Was just messing TBH.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakhalin Rich View Post
Think that I'll give William Boyd a go - getting good reviews on Amazon for the books you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation.
Hope you enjoy it. I have finished Brazzaville and it couldn't be any more different again. Enjoyed it but it's difficult to know what to expect topic wise with his books - they vary so widely. I have enjoyed all of them nevertheless. Brazzaville is set in part in a chimpanzee colony where the main character is working. He has a real knack of entwining interesting information in and around a story. Have Armadillo lined up as my next one of his books, who knows where that will take me .
Old 01-08-2020, 02:45 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
I've just found a copy of "Super Cannes". Have you read it, and if so is it worth a go?
I have but I'll be buggered if I can remember, sorry.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:11 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
I have but I'll be buggered if I can remember, sorry.
No probs. I'll give it a try and if I get bored it will be Oxfam-bound.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:33 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
No probs. I'll give it a try and if I get bored it will be Oxfam-bound.
If you don't like Ballard, you've got no soul.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
If you don't like Ballard, you've got no soul.
I can see how this one ends.
I read him a lot in my 20s and 30s, probably time to return.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:48 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
I know I have wanged on about it before but The Comedians is a massively underrated Greene novel in my o.
I have the books saved on my Amazon wish list.

I will make that my next purchase. Ta muchly.

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:09 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I can see how this one ends.
With me being accused of being a literary snob?
Old 02-08-2020, 03:37 PM
jft39

Quote:
With me being accused of being a literary snob?
With El Ag being a smug c~nt.