Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:39 PM

immoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanbareWashi View Post
Any suggestions as to how I can improve my running?
As above, run slower on your runs. Most of your runs should be easy.

If you're getting shin splints you'll need to look at your running form. Almost every case I've come across from coaching the runner has been overstriding. Running slower will help with this as you won't feel the need to overstride.

Once you've got the running slow sorted then you can look in to doing speed work. With the speed work you'll need to check to make sure that you're landing your foot under your body rather than infront of you.

The cycling and swimming with help a lot with general cardio. Hitting the gym to build up the muscles in your legs will also help.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:59 PM

GanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks immoralgiant. Sorry, but how will running slower help me run faster? I build my running endurance up so that I can run a 10km in about 65 - 70 minutes so that is not a main problem. Or is it just to improve my running technique?

For a 5km run, I run for say 3km, then walk for 40 seconds and then run again. Am I better off trying to find a speed that I can run 5km in?

Another problem is hills, I slow and shorten my gait when I go up hill, but then struggle to increase them when I am then on the flat and going down hill.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:05 PM

GanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
In the winter I do all my running on treadmill. I am however faster if I run outside (apart from when I hit too many hills.)
Old 02-01-2020, 06:05 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanbareWashi View Post
Thanks immoralgiant. Sorry, but how will running slower help me run faster? I build my running endurance up so that I can run a 10km in about 65 - 70 minutes so that is not a main problem. Or is it just to improve my running technique?

For a 5km run, I run for say 3km, then walk for 40 seconds and then run again. Am I better off trying to find a speed that I can run 5km in?

Another problem is hills, I slow and shorten my gait when I go up hill, but then struggle to increase them when I am then on the flat and going down hill.

Running slower will help build the endurance - add a speed session and if weak on hills add a hill sessions.

Stride length does shorten up hill any way
Old 03-01-2020, 09:22 AM

immoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betray
As cantspell said, running slower builds up your stamina. It also significantly reduces your risk of injury by lowering impact on joints. There are adaptions that happen in your body that only happen at lower intensity so running fast all the time means your body doesn't get the adaptions or they happen slower over a longer time period.

Polar did a study a couple of years back based on uploaded runs from their user base and found those that ran more in zones 2 and 3 performed better than those who ran in zone 4 and 5 even though they logged the same hours over a week. To view the link you have to Register or Login

80% weekly mileage easy (really easy), 20% hard stuff (hills, tempo, intervals).

Jack Daniels' VDOT calculator is a good way to find your easy pace. To view the link you have to Register or Login Put in your most recent race pace (distance + time) then press Calculate. Then click the Training tab. For someone who has raced a 10k in 65 mins, your easy pace should be between 11:32-12:38min/mile (07:10-07:51min/km). You'll probably be thinking that is really slow and that's the point. You should be able to go out and do 10k at that pace. Once you finish your legs may be tired but heart/lung-wise you should feel like you could do that all again.

The speed session added on each week will build up extra strength in your legs (should be doing supplemental strengthening work, doesn't need to be at the gym but squats, lunges etc can be done at home) as well as get you used to moving your legs at a faster cadence.

Sage Canaday has a semi-decent video on it - To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 03-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Some really useful stuff above. My aim this year is to do longer, slower runs than I have been. It's just getting the time to do it.

I also need a new running back so I can start running from Clapham to Camden again in the mornings.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:48 AM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
I did two park runs on New Years day when I usually do just the one on Saturday. Hoping I'm recovered by tomorrow for the usual park run as my DOMS has just kicked in and I'm walking like a penguin.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 03-01-2020, 12:49 PM

CaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
As cantspell said, running slower builds up your stamina. It also significantly reduces your risk of injury by lowering impact on joints. There are adaptions that happen in your body that only happen at lower intensity so running fast all the time means your body doesn't get the adaptions or they happen slower over a longer time period.

Polar did a study a couple of years back based on uploaded runs from their user base and found those that ran more in zones 2 and 3 performed better than those who ran in zone 4 and 5 even though they logged the same hours over a week. To view the link you have to Register or Login

80% weekly mileage easy (really easy), 20% hard stuff (hills, tempo, intervals).

Jack Daniels' VDOT calculator is a good way to find your easy pace. To view the link you have to Register or Login Put in your most recent race pace (distance + time) then press Calculate. Then click the Training tab. For someone who has raced a 10k in 65 mins, your easy pace should be between 11:32-12:38min/mile (07:10-07:51min/km). You'll probably be thinking that is really slow and that's the point. You should be able to go out and do 10k at that pace. Once you finish your legs may be tired but heart/lung-wise you should feel like you could do that all again.

The speed session added on each week will build up extra strength in your legs (should be doing supplemental strengthening work, doesn't need to be at the gym but squats, lunges etc can be done at home) as well as get you used to moving your legs at a faster cadence.

Sage Canaday has a semi-decent video on it - To view the link you have to Register or Login
This is great info and the slow run pace calculator was quite a shock. I'm running a full minute per mile too fast according to this.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterhamEagle View Post
This is great info and the slow run pace calculator was quite a shock. I'm running a full minute per mile too fast according to this.
It's hard to run slow, but once you do you'll realise how easy running (or "jogging" as the elite Africans call it) can be. As long as you maintain decent form during the slower runs your risk of injury will be minimised allowing you to get a better "engine" that can go longer. What people think is "easy" tends to be closer to what we'd call their "steady" or "tempo" pace.

The calculator also gives you rough estimate of times for different distances if you were able to follow a solid 12-16 week plan for the distance. i.e. a 30 min 5k comes out as a 4:43 marathon, but the likelihood is that you won't be able to rock up to a marathon and do 4:43 without the necessary training.

Also important that you train at your current level, not where you want to be or where you have been. If you're only capable of 27 min 5k at the moment then that's what you need to put in the calculator, not that 20 min you did 13 years ago. Then every 4-5 weeks you can do another 5k, hit it hard then ,assuming it's different, put it in the calculator and see if it's updated your easy pace.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Andy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAndy08 sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
After a new pair of trotters after just signing up to do the Lisbon Marathon in October. Asics have treated me well in the past, but haven't done any sort of lengthy training plan for a good number of years, so not really in the know.

Any recommendations?
Old 06-01-2020, 01:49 PM

Go to a running store and find a pair that fit well and are comfortable. It's a bit of pot luck as everyone is different. Brands can change their line up quite dramatically so one season they may be great but their new shoes won't work for you and you'll need to look elsewhere. Some people get lucky and are able to stick to a brand and know they're getting a shoe that's going to be good for them.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:01 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Good start to the year clocking up 45km already.
Trying to run a bit slower but not doing it very well.

Ran Banstead Park Run 2 weeks ago and really struggled to 20:30. Ran this weekend. Felt much better and did bang on 21:00 (maybe those 30 seconds was why I felt better!!).

Last edited by Tomo; 08-01-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Good start to the year clocking up 45km already.
Trying to run a bit slower but not doing it very well.

Ran Banstead Park Run 2 weeks ago and really struggled to 20:30. Ran this weekend. Felt much better and did bang on 21:00 (maybe those 30 seconds was why I felt better!!).
Find someone who runs what you should be running and run with them, maybe push them a bit to get a PB. That's what I did at parkrun when I had to run slow.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:54 PM

I'm always going to use Park Run to push for PB's to be honest, but will be running with friends at lunch times to try and slow down.

I did 7k yesterday lunch at just over 5min/km which felt comfortable enough. I'm just debating whether to go out today, or wait till tomorrow morning to run again. I need to be better at resting.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:34 PM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
Came 15th this morning at my local park run which I was very pleased with. All those that finished above me had a lot more park runs under their belt than me, with two guys who I'd never seen before clocking in over 600 between them.

23 more of these bastards then I will happily retire with my free tee for reaching 50

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 18-01-2020, 10:14 PM

daverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverambo2 View Post
Ok. Got my Park run down to 22:11 but have a strain on the extensor in my foot. So this week I have been hammering the elliptical whilst the foot heals.

My challenge (with peeps from work) is to do a park run at below 21:50 by the end of Jan. Itís touch and go but I think I can do it. That last run was with and extra 5 pounds from Christmas. Iíve shifted 2 of those this week. Iím hoping the foot will be ok to have another crack on Friday as I only have 4 attempts left!

Today I did a 1hr 48min on the elliptical with a load of hard intervals in the middle. I did about 45 mins of elliptical intervals yesterday. So Iím hoping I donít lose any fitness before saturday.
Quick update and I beat my challenge today. Park run in 21:34. Totally smashed by PB and got my pacing spot on.

Iím pretty chuffed with that from starting with couch to 5k in mid May.
Now to start training for my first half marathon in March.