Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 28-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
It's not just about stats is it ? And if it is, you neatly side-stepped the Lindgard comparison.
For some misguided chappies, it is all about the (mostly dodgy) "stats".
Old 28-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba View Post
Redmond is having a very good season. A quick looks at the stats on Wikipedia suggests they are doing similar. So 'vastly inferior' is a little over the top. They are different types of players, playing in different types of teams.

Do wish Palace fans would take the red and blue tinted glasses off once in a while.

Zaha
Prem
Apps - 25
Goals - 5

FA Cup
Apps - 0
Goals - 0

Lg Cup
Apps - 2
Goals - 0

Redmond
Prem
Apps - 26
Goals - 5

FA Cup
Apps - 3
Goals - 0

Lg Cup
Apps - 5
Goals - 1
Stats like this are useless when trying to measure Wilf's performance. How many penalties does he win for us? They're as good as an assist but they're not considered in these stats, are they? It also gives you no idea how quickly he turns defence into attack which is imperative to the way we play. Also, when we played Spurs, my Spurs mates couldn't believe how much he pinned Kyle Walker back - something they'd never seen before & something we probably take for granted.

I can't stand people who back anything Palace regardless - hence why I give people like hdeagle stick. However, I think everyone can afford to be hugely biased towards Wilf after his superb performances over such a prolonged period & how much unwarranted stick he's got from the press. The reason he gets so much press is because simpletons like Shearer see them & use it as a stick to beat him with - having no idea just how much more he brings to the team as he's too lazy to watch him.
Old 28-03-2017, 11:32 AM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
simple fact of the matter is Southgate sided with Henderson over Zaha for the U21s and he is now trying to save face.
Old 28-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Pete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Clear on Sunday that one thing England are missing is a player who can go past defenders from a standing position. They struggled to get behind a Lithuania side that just sat in. Massive mistake by England but let's face it, one of many.
This was also abundently clear after England's debacle against Iceland. Despite having the best and brightest English 'talent' - Rooney, Rashford, Alli, Wilshere, Sturridge, Kane, Sterling and Vardy on the pitch during the game this collective of awesome PL attacking talent failed to even trouble an Iceland team consisting predominantly of lower league players. They couldn't pick a pass through a crowded defense or effectively take on a defending player. Instead they charged around like headless chickens. It was embarrasing.

Zaha would have regularly beaten 1, 2 or 3 Iceland defenders, created space for others and might have 'earned' England a penalty. It was obvious Zaha was the kind of player they were missing and to his credit Pardew had been going on about it for some time.

We can only hope that the Ivory coast play England in the near future.
Old 28-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I'd be interested to see the assists comparisons, as well?
1 for Redmond
6 for Zaha

You can compare the two via To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 28-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Empire View Post
Yes, Wilf's face doesn't fit with their little exclusive club.

Not just Henderson, but the entitled but mediocre "big club" contingent would probably try to marginalise him. I remember the FA's reluctance to call up Wright.

And if Southgate "only wants players 100% committed to England" he should forget about the likes of Sterling, and most of those who played against Iceland.

It is interesting that no journo has picked up on Southgate having come through the Palace academy and been captain of our promotion winning team, and of how/why he is estranged from the club.

That's an interesting one actually, as one of the newspaper journalists revealed on radio 5 shortly after the Euros that a member of the England squad had contacted his agent midway through the tournament to ask if there was any way he could be airlifted out...no names mentioned of course but I'd love to know which of our wonderful players had that particular 'attitude problem'
Old 28-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Seriously, **** England. More chance of keeping him as it is.
I realise I've just managed to piss off Les and Slimbloke H at the same time. So ban me.
Old 28-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Seriously, **** England. More chance of keeping him as it is.
I realise I've just managed to piss off Les and Slimbloke H at the same time. So ban me.
If you go, I go.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 28-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned by Moderators

Lombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is here
I wonder what he said to wilf? Was it: I will be picking you for my first England squad.
or was it more along the lines...
You keep playing the way you are I will consider picking you in the future.
My money is on the latter.
Old 28-03-2017, 01:33 PM
War Chief

Cleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Yes, Wilf's face doesn't fit with their little exclusive club.
Replace the word 'club' with 'collection of over-entitled wankers' and you're about right.

I've been done with England for some time. It started dying for me in 1998, and passed away completely under Fabio Capello. Since then we've had personality bypasses in Hodgson and Southgate; and ironically I had hoped Alladyce might change things, but his first squad disappointed and he never got another shot.

The insufferable arrogance of the team is a national disgrace, compounded by the inane drivelling of former-players now turned media pundits asked to comment on their current golfing buddies.

Watching footage of the Ivory Coast players having a laugh after their game against Russia made me realise that Zaha has made absolutely the best decision for himself, and I salute him.

**** England.
Old 28-03-2017, 01:34 PM

redeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It's all water under the bridge now anyway and I think he is better off with IC. If he'd played for England I could see him becoming a plan B impact sub, expected to come off the bench and produce something magic. We may think it is unfair but he is a bit of a marmite player with the wider footballing public and the media and playing for England carries so much baggage. England are going to continue to under perform for any number of intractable reasons and Wilf is a sensitive soul. I think he would struggle with all the ballyhoo followed by the crashing fallout with each failure.

IC seem really pleased to have him and he seems to be rightly regarded as a star in the making (and has hit the ground running as a result). I think they will play to his strengths and he will develop as an international player away from the critical gaze of the British sporting press. He will probably play in as many international tournaments. IC and England are good enough to get to the knock out stages of the WC but not much further and IC have a better chance of winning ACON than England have of winning Euros.

I have always passionately supported England but the SA World Cup fiasco finally did it for me. I feel nothing for them any more. I still get very excited about Olympics, rugby etc but not England football. There is something toxic and dysfunctional about it. Wilfs better off out of it.
Old 28-03-2017, 01:35 PM

alanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is here
why would anyone aiming to be a world class footballer want to play for the England nation team? The FA and the England men's national team are such a boring mess.
Old 28-03-2017, 01:35 PM
War Chief

Cleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
On the Zaha v Redmond stuff, Redmond is a good player but he's no Zaha. Not only has it already been pointed out that selective stats (ignoring assists) is a pisspoor way of judging two players (especially wingers), but it also ignores the fact that Redmond has been playing a better team this year whereas Zaha has single handedly on occasion carried Palace through a revolting run of form.
Old 28-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellis View Post
Old news rehashed. We knew all this ages ago and it's difficult to argue against Southgate.
Zaha was not England level until this season.
Eh! It has been clear that he is likely to be England level for about 5 years
Old 28-03-2017, 01:41 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle View Post
It's all water under the bridge now anyway and I think he is better off with IC. .
I think he is better off at IC for us as a club as well. As a disillusioned 'England fan' - there is conflict. But they now cant tempt him away with the assured England caps formality...

It will just have to be eurpoean football and winning trophies instead.

(and mega bucks)
Old 28-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
It is interesting that no journo has picked up on Southgate having come through the Palace academy and been captain of our promotion winning team, and of how/why he is estranged from the club.
Don't know if it was just me, but despite being a fairly successful member of the Palace squad for about 4/5 seasons, I never felt Gareth was was very popular with the fans - Perhaps it was because he was a solid rather than eye catching performer.

And having read the (admittedly quite good) book he wrote with Woodman, it didn't seem that Southgate had a great affection for the Club. He certainly had a bit of a go at the Palace fans towards the end of the 94/95 season (said they were quite critical) and seemed to like Alan Smith more than CPFC, itself.

TBF, he did very well at Villa and Boro and did a solid job for England as a player but I'll be surprised if he has a really successful time as England boss. Just strikes me as another 'F.A. Blazer' man, like that senile old fool, Hodgson - IMO the style of play (or what I would describe as overplay) hasn't changed much since Euro 16.

And I have already said in an earlier post, he is a small minded **** for not picking Wilf !!
Old 28-03-2017, 03:19 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba View Post
Please list 'much more' for us.
Are you watching our games? Genuine question as i thought you was based in Ireland these days? Sterling work if you get over for games.

More under AP but he's been our best full back too this season but under a new organised structure he hasn't had to do that so much leaving him free to destroy the oppo and the top top clubs have only stopped him by doubling or even tripling up on him!.

Last edited by orp pisshead1; 28-03-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 28-03-2017, 03:26 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post
In fairness, Wilf's defensive work is far more significant.

Worth checking out Squawka's comparison tool.
Just seen this post as I've just woke up( night worker) spot on he's superb defensively.
Old 28-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
Don't know if it was just me, but despite being a fairly successful member of the Palace squad for about 4/5 seasons, I never felt Gareth was was very popular with the fans - Perhaps it was because he was a solid rather than eye catching performer.

And having read the (admittedly quite good) book he wrote with Woodman, it didn't seem that Southgate had a great affection for the Club. He certainly had a bit of a go at the Palace fans towards the end of the 94/95 season (said they were quite critical) and seemed to like Alan Smith more than CPFC, itself.

TBF, he did very well at Villa and Boro and did a solid job for England as a player but I'll be surprised if he has a really successful time as England boss. Just strikes me as another 'F.A. Blazer' man, like that senile old fool, Hodgson - IMO the style of play (or what I would describe as overplay) hasn't changed much since Euro 16.

And I have already said in an earlier post, he is a small minded **** for not picking Wilf !!
He supports the 's that's all you need to know.
Old 28-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
If only he had one white parent, the No Surrender mob would allow him to be picked.