Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 16-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Banned by Moderators

breagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Phase 1 Clinical Trial Cancer treatment - would you say yes or no?

Not the cheeriest of themes for the festive season but I do need to ask if anyone has had any experience of clinical research into new treatments for terminal illness?

My mum has stage 4 (terminal) cancer, as I have mentioned before. She has been asked to participate in a phase 1 research programme where she will be administered the new drug/treatment alongside chemo,

Most sites say some people will benefit with phase 1 treatments, thats the good news but many won't.

So... Worth the risk or best to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 16-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Banned by Moderators

breagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbreagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Phase 1 is the first time the treatment will have be used on humans, btw.

It won't be a cure but MAY prolong life?
Old 16-12-2015, 09:09 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For me it would all be about the potential side effects and just how long her life might be extended. Had an uncle who had a sudden onset of lung cancer combined with asbestosis which they think might have been triggered by a sting from a jelly fish he suffered whilst on holiday. Obviously he had both conditions already but the toxin somehow made them flare up.

He tried chemo and it made his life a living hell. So he decided to just chuck it in, reasoning that quality of life was better than quantity and that the treatment only offered, at best, an extra 36 months.

All a balancing act I guess.
Old 16-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
For me it would all be about the potential side effects and just how long her life might be extended. Had an uncle who had a sudden onset of lung cancer combined with asbestosis which they think might have been triggered by a sting from a jelly fish he suffered whilst on holiday. Obviously he had both conditions already but the toxin somehow made them flare up.

He tried chemo and it made his life a living hell. So he decided to just chuck it in, reasoning that quality of life was better than quantity and that the treatment only offered, at best, an extra 36 months.

All a balancing act I guess.
Thanks, she coped with her previous chemo quite well, better than I expected but this will be a different chemo and like you say there are loads of side effects with the new treatment.

However, I think she feels it's more positive to have some treatment rather than just be "written off" and have none - which is what she thought when they said they'd just be monitoring her and didn't offer anymore chemo.
Old 16-12-2015, 09:28 PM

Ryan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by breagle View Post

However, I think she feels it's more positive to have some treatment rather than just be "written off" and have none - which is what she thought when they said they'd just be monitoring her and didn't offer anymore chemo.
I have no experience in this situation and wouldn't wish it upon anyone. But from what you say there I think you just have to go with her wishes. If she's willing to put in the effort for the fight then you have to respect her wishes and support her through it no matter how hard it may be to watch.