Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 15-04-2021, 02:53 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
The weekend set of fixtures, with WBA doing well against Southampton saw us drop to the bottom of the table in terms of creativity.

Our strikers are doing their job. Zaha, Benteke, Eze, Batshuayi, Mateta and even Riedewald and Cahill are outperforming their xG, and as a team we have scored 6 goals better than expected. We have done it in tight games too where those goals have got us an extra point or 2 more than we probably deserved.

In terms of crossing, we put in 14 per game, and only Tottenham are below us on that metric but that will include from set pieces I think. We were 18th last season, 19th the season before and 14th in Roys first season.

Prior to Roy we sat 4th (23), 1st (26), 8th (22), and 19th in our first season with an average of 19 crosses per game. There can be no doubt that we cross the ball a lot less since Roy has come in and after he has been able to get his style into the players crossing is far less a part of our game. We have scored 6 goals in the past 9 games, 1 from the penalty spot, Batshuayi ran onto the pass against Everton. The other 4 have all come from crosses!
Old 15-04-2021, 05:42 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw some stats in the Athletic yesterday that suggested that discounting penalties, we are:

20th in the league in terms of XG this season with a XG of 0.76 per game, whilst scoring 0.97; and

18th in terms of XGC this season with an XGC of 1.51 per game, whilst conceding 1.58.
Old 15-04-2021, 05:46 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PemboExpress View Post
Saw some stats in the Athletic yesterday that suggested that discounting penalties, we are:

20th in the league in terms of XG this season with a XG of 0.76 per game, whilst scoring 0.97; and

18th in terms of XGC this season with an XGC of 1.51 per game, whilst conceding 1.58.
And yet we're 13th in the only table that matters....
Old 15-04-2021, 05:52 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Yep. Most important stat.

However is that way of playing/picking up points sustainable?
Old 15-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post

No, but it has been a pragmatic solution based on the shape and make up of the team. One would hope things move in a different direction next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 15-04-2021, 06:00 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
No, but it has been a pragmatic solution based on the shape and make up of the team. One would hope things move in a different direction next season.
I donít think you can call what we do pragmatic.
Not creating chances and not keeping many clean sheets over the course of the season isnít pragmatic.

But yes. I think they have to.

I donít like to get dragged into Ifís and Buts, because ultimately Roy has done the job that was required from him this season, but if we had 5 or 6 points less than we currently do, I really donít think we can complain.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:07 PM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Maybe but we are also 20th in terms of entertainment, (often overlooked in the pursuit of points)
Old 15-04-2021, 06:14 PM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
It is the most important, but it isn't the only thing that matters. It matters to me whether I enjoy watching palace, and it matters to me that my 10 year old son who was an avid fan, is now bored and losing interest.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:18 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post

Absolutely agree for now.

And that's the point over the long-term.

The season United finished 2nd and Burnley 7th was due to the excellence of their keepers. They reverted to their more expected positions based on the XG/XGC model the following season.

We need to buck the trend as it difficult to think that is sustainable over the long-term.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:24 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
It is the most important, but it isn't the only thing that matters. It matters to me whether I enjoy watching palace, and it matters to me that my 10 year old son who was an avid fan, is now bored and losing interest.
I completely get you. All I'm saying is that if you offered Steve Parish a team that entertains & finishes 18th or a team that stinks & finishes 17th, he'd always take the latter. But I get the point that the two (points & entertainment) are not mutually exclusive.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:46 PM

smoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsmoll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I'm bored of watching games on TV too. Will be different when we all get back to Selhurst
Old 15-04-2021, 07:08 PM

eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart eaglesheart
Quote:
This is a real problem, the boredom factor. We are not expecting to watch Brazil of the 70's every game but anything better than we have been watching for 2 seasons will do. We are the most boring team to watch now and are in danger of losing a generation of new fans.
Old 15-04-2021, 07:16 PM

Leeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLeeroy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoll View Post
I'm bored of watching games on TV too. Will be different when we all get back to Selhurst
Im glad i only have to watch that dross on tv, Can turn off the game early and do something else. I dont think the tactics would be any different with a crowd in either, it Would be even more soul destroying having travelled etc to watch the games.... worst team in the league in terms of entertainment..
Old 15-04-2021, 07:27 PM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoll View Post
That is a big factor, no doubt.
Old 15-04-2021, 08:51 PM

Palacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalacemad2002 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I'm in my mid thirties now and ever since I was kid I felt a duty to watch Palace, I hated missing games if I had an opportunity to watch them. I don't take supporting this club for granted, however, this season I've started switching off as I just can't get excited watching us play, and I watched us under Peter Taylor and Alan Smith. I'm not saying it's as bad as under those managers, but different times and different circumstances. In the now, there really is something lacking at the club. What's sad is I'm not the only one who feels this way. My dad has been going since the 50s and he, like many I have spoken with, feels such a limited connection with this side.

If ever we've needed a Palace side with some character and spirit to get behind, the time is now when people are restricted to watching from afar. Of course not being in the ground plays it's part, but even so, there's just nothing there with this current set up, it feels like we're just going through the motions and not looking to be that prem side from south of the river who embodies 'South London and Proud'. Sure we're staying up, but it seems to be at the cost of having any kind of identity which we can all be proud of. There's surely more to being in the top flight than this?

Last edited by Palacemad2002; 15-04-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:02 PM

sydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is here
Quote:
Spot on. We shpuld scrape to safety but my considerably older son has renewed our STs with a heavy heart. Thank **** we didnt have to go to that crap
Old 15-04-2021, 09:03 PM

sydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is heresydnsteve Sam the man is here
We are being put entertained by BFS FFS
Old 15-04-2021, 10:12 PM

Green Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palacemad2002 View Post
I'm in my mid thirties now and ever since I was kid I felt a duty to watch Palace, I hated missing games if I had an opportunity to watch them. I don't take supporting this club for granted, however, this season I've started switching off as I just can't get excited watching us play, and I watched us under Peter Taylor and Alan Smith. I'm not saying it's as bad as under those managers, but different times and different circumstances. In the now, there really is something lacking at the club. What's sad is I'm not the only one who feels this way. My dad has been going since the 50s and he, like many I have spoken with, feels such a limited connection with this side.
What was so bad under Alan Smith? We won what is now the Championship title, and got to to two Cup Semi finals in the same year, and only got relegated [on 45pts] because they relegated four teams that year. If Noades had backed Smith with an experienced striker to support Armstrong earlier than he did, we would probably had stayed up
Old 15-04-2021, 10:17 PM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bin View Post
What was so bad under Alan Smith? We won what is now the Championship title, and got to to two Cup Semi finals in the same year, and only got relegated [on 45pts] because they relegated four teams that year. If Noades had backed Smith with an experienced striker to support Armstrong earlier than he did, we would probably had stayed up
May be referring to Smith under Jordan.
Old 15-04-2021, 10:48 PM

CPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydnsteve View Post
We are being put entertained by BFS FFS
Watching him be relegated lol.