Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 22-10-2020, 01:23 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Moving out of London

Like so many this lock down has lead me to consider a move out of London. With the company i work for putting in place plans for us to work from home permanently with one or two days in the office.

What are the best places to go in terms of value for money and travel into london? The mrs will work at least initially full time in London until she finds a more local hospital to work out (she's a CNS).

Front runners currently.. Oxted and Edenbridge Town.

Happy to go anywhere in any direction from London centre.

I'd like to get a 4 bed semi or detached for c.£650k. Maybe even less if it can be done.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Margate.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:38 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
Like so many this lock down has lead me to consider a move out of London. With the company i work for putting in place plans for us to work from home permanently with one or two days in the office.

What are the best places to go in terms of value for money and travel into london? The mrs will work at least initially full time in London until she finds a more local hospital to work out (she's a CNS).

I'd like to get a 4 bed semi or detached for c.£650k. Maybe even less if it can be done.

£650k will get ya a feckin mansion down on the coast - trains to London... fresh air... sea... South Downs... nice country pubs and unlimited supply off Seaweed to take the piss out of
Old 22-10-2020, 01:43 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is here
One or two days a week would still be a bit of chore and a cost as not worth a season ticket, although loads used to do it from Kent, Surrey and Sussex.

I would see how likely you could make it one or two days a month and go further afield and look at Hotel stays for the one or two days a month. Might even be able to go mortgage free..
Old 22-10-2020, 01:45 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Margate.
Really nice nowadays, somewhat ‘trendy.’

Last edited by CP-RJW; 22-10-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Regretting my username

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
Quote:

I live in Oxted. You'll be hard pushed to get a 4 bed detached for 650, but you might get lucky. Further out into Hurst Green it gets a bit cheaper.

Love Oxted, and very happy here. But been told we have to vacate our rented flat by April and we definitely can't afford to buy round this way so looks like carry on renting or move somewhere else.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:47 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendy View Post
One or two days a week would still be a bit of chore and a cost as not worth a season ticket, although loads used to do it from Kent, Surrey and Sussex.

I would see how likely you could make it one or two days a month and go further afield and look at Hotel stays for the one or two days a month. Might even be able to go mortgage free..

Shag a train driver - free travel
Old 22-10-2020, 01:47 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Brighton but too expensive.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
And that's the only criticism you have?

I'm beginning to worry about you.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:51 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky View Post
I live in Oxted. You'll be hard pushed to get a 4 bed detached for 650, but you might get lucky. Further out into Hurst Green it gets a bit cheaper.

Love Oxted, and very happy here. But been told we have to vacate our rented flat by April and we definitely can't afford to buy round this way so looks like carry on renting or move somewhere else.
I don't know the area that well but there did seem to be odd place available between 550-650k although admittedly often the new build types of property which are hardly massive.

The other thing that is being considered is moving the mother in law in and then it would be a substantially bigger budget but would have include a degree of seperation opportunity for my sanity.
sleep chaser

Quote:

Brighton is shit hole.
Filthy... over priced independent shops and posh dickheads who think they’re trendy.

Tony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is here
Word of support for Horsham and surrounding areas, 650k should comfortably get you a 4 bed detached. Good links into London Vic and London Bridge.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I must admit Brighton doesn't appeal. I have spent time there recently and found it had all the downsides of living in london with few of the upsides in terms of convenience. I'd soonet stay put than live in Brighton i think.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:52 PM
sleep chaser

Quote:
I don't know the area that well but there did seem to be odd place available between 550-650k although admittedly often the new build types of property which are hardly massive.

The other thing that is being considered is moving the mother in law in and then it would be a substantially bigger budget but would have include a degree of seperation opportunity for my sanity.

Don’t do it bro.

I’ve seen many a good man take that path... they’re never quite the same again.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
Word of support for Horsham and surrounding areas, 650k should comfortably get you a 4 bed detached. Good links into London Vic and London Bridge.
a quick rightmove search certainly throws up some interesting options for the price!
Old 22-10-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Don’t do it bro.

I’ve seen many a good man take that path... they’re never quite the same again.
It is unlikely. We would probably just look to live close together. Like we do now (we are in holborn she is in covent garden).

The reality is we wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her on her own in town. She is getting on and I don't think she would end up very lonely and no one would be around to look after her in need.
Old 22-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Tony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is here
Quote:
a quick rightmove search certainly throws up some interesting options for the price!
Relatively good value I think - although prices definitely creeping up. The town Centre has a good array of pubs and shops. You're on the doorstep of the South Downs way and 20 mins from the coast, or 50 mins from London.

If it becomes viable and you would like any suggestions/advice on where to focus your search in the area, or even if you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to give me a shout.
Old 22-10-2020, 02:06 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
If you are going to be going into London once or twice a week you should start with what you want from the area you are going to move to. If you move somewhere with only 1 major hospital nearby will that restrict your wife's ability to find the new job etc?

From Oxted, how easy is it to get to East Surrey, Pru, Mayday or Epsom etc?

What else do you want from the are you live in? Are schools a consideration etc?

I moved out of London and best thing I did.
Old 22-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
Relatively good value I think - although prices definitely creeping up. The town Centre has a good array of pubs and shops. You're on the doorstep of the South Downs way and 20 mins from the coast, or 50 mins from London.

If it becomes viable and you would like any suggestions/advice on where to focus your search in the area, or even if you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to give me a shout.
Thank you.. at some point i will have to actually drive about and see these places.

The only reason edenbridge is being looked at is the fact we spend weekends fairly regularly at the marriott at lingfield park watching racing (and the kids swim etc). So we know we like it in that neck of the woods.
Old 22-10-2020, 02:08 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Another shout for Horsham (Or Horsham District), have lived in and around Horsham for the last 30 years after leaving Coulsdon.

Few Horsham BBSers on here too.

I've also lived on the South Coast too East Preston/Rustington/Littlehampton area and you get a lot for your money - You'd get a really really nice house in Littlehampton for that sort of wedge.