Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:29 AM
BBS addict

LP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Lets face it Selhurst is an easy target and I think if we're honest we would accept that it certainley has its faults. The overall standard of the ground, prices, poor catering, it's proximity, the fact that you have to queue twice for tickets, plus the fact that until recently fans often had to visit it twice in a season have all made it unpopular.

However whilst I think we can all take valid critisism, some of what's in that article from the Observer is just nonsense. How is a 10-15 minute stroll from 3 main line stations far? And this thing about not being able to find a decent pub. What does the guy want, gastro pubs? bistros? chain bars? SP is located in a suberb of South London, not Hampstead Heath or Dulwich Village! The fact is there must be around 25 pubs within walking distance of the ground, and unlike many grounds around the country that we could all name, they don't operate a home fans only policy and away fans don't have to enter them fearing for their physical safety. Away fans actually get a welcome when they visit SE25, which very often isn't extended in the return fixture.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by LP; 11-10-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterYoda
I was thinking that. Maybe they got off cos white rock is almost done. And it's looking really nice as 3rd div [sic] grounds go.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
No it doesn't.

It looks IKEA. Boring.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby
I'd honestly rather have Selhurst.
Same here; it's home to our football team.

Haven't forgotten the first time I stamped my feet on the wooden floorboards of the old stand in 1959. Mid week games in winter and the floodlights on ... eneough to keep anyone young
Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 AM
$4m through a traffic jam

Daveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
Quote:
Originally posted by BaldEagle96
I appreciate SP is not the best and indeed is a long way off the best, but to put it infront of Blundell Park is just not on..
I quite like Blundell Park!

Dougie Freedman still a Palace legend.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:39 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
I don't why people are so snobbish about football grounds, it is somewhere to go and watch a bloody game for less than two hours every other week. Does it matter if it looks a little run down? Should we spend 30 or 40 million on a new stadium so that it 'looks better'?
no
Old 11-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Something About Airplanes

Batsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravity
Considering we made no.6 they struggled to say anything of note. Can't find a pub? the weather being grim? The ground being 10 minutes walk?

What's that got to do with Selhurst Park? I found It quite positive as I'm sure there were plenty of nasty things they could of said. Good report.......NOT!!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:42 AM
$4m through a traffic jam

Daveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
I'd rather have a full Selhurst Park than a half-empty state-of-the-art stadium. The New Den is all very nice, but it's looks w@nk when it's got 8,000 in it. No atmosphere at all.

Dougie Freedman still a Palace legend.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:48 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterYoda
I was thinking that. Maybe they got off cos white rock is almost done. And it's looking really nice as 3rd div [sic] grounds go.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
stress the words 3rd division.....
Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 AM
it's a city you know...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gollum
I know SP is poor by Prem/Champs standars but are we really worse than the majority of grounds in the football League.
Rochdale, Oldham, Bury, Stockport, Torquay etc etc......
How was this poll conducted ?
i emailed the observer to ask them this and to clear up a couple of things in the "review", but they havent got back to me yet. if they ever do i'll post it
Old 11-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I agree Luton is a hole, but it seems they are partly prejudiced by the position of the ground in a very deprived (Largely ethnic) area and their ID card scheme 15 years ago.
Yes the seats at Luton have tiny legroom, and you have to pass UNDER a house to get in, but you had to do that for the away end at Filbert Street, and you still have to pass under a converted house for the away seats at Highbury!!!!! The away stand at Luton creates a superb atmosphere when full, and was one of my favourite away days in our Championship season of 93-94.

Similarly Rotherham - yes it is next to a scrapyard and seems to be largely built from scrap, but when we packed it out on the opening day of the season about 4 years ago, what a great atmosphere!

Regards Selhurst - have to agree the Arthur Wait has a shallow rake, but then again, it is in a Residential area, so cannot be super-steep due to the Park Road houses behind. If we had built a tiny stand with half the capacity, then they'd be the first to complain about the size of the ground. Agree the price of seats in the Arthur is a bit steep, but then again, very few away ends are actually on the side of the pitch - Norwich and Chelsea only come to mind.

Regards distance from Stations. I would rather have an 8 minute walk to Selhurst Station (from the Holmesdale end) and not have to queue to get in, than the ridiculous situation you get at West Ham, Arsenal and White Hart Lane, where you have to queue for half an hour just to get into the station, because it is so near, everyone wants to use it. Indeed at Tottenha, I walk the 2 miles to Seven Sisters rather than queue for ages to get into White Hart Lane BR Station, and thousands of others do too.

Finally parking (not mentioned in the article but anyway) - one great thing about Selhurst is that there is always plenty of on-street free parking, even if 10 minutes walk away. At loads of grounds (Man Utd especially) like these new out of town places, you have no choice but to pay at least £5, but sometimes £10 to park your car. At Chelsea it must be nigh-on impossible to park. If you leave promptly, there is minimal traffic congestion (which is completely cleared 30-40 mins after a game). At some places (Merseyside and Villa) you get yur car threatened by blackmailing kids wanting to "mind it" for a fiver.

No I'd keep Selhurst anyday.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 11-10-2004, 10:00 AM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Regarding the pub bit wasn't there some Echo article that stated we had a decent number of CAMRA rated pubs near the ground?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Reformed Alcoholic!!

Location: Just off Pippins Bridge, very near to the town of Biffon!
Glaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
We are spoilt for pubs, all within a 10 minute walk from the ground.

Jesus, what do some people want?

As quoted, you are at the ground for 4 hours a month. Away fans 2 hours a season!
Drebin, posing as a locksmith, enters a man's office and is greeted by the resident with …. "Who are you and how did you get in here?" to which Drebin replies, "I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."
Old 11-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
••••••• KIDDING!?

How can Selhurst be worse then MK Hockey Stadium
FFS! At least we don't need to ask the away fans to not celebrate too much in case the stand collapses
Old 11-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Ahem ! Sense of humour anyone ?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
My head master didn't have one
Old 11-10-2004, 12:24 PM
BBS addict

LP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
I think most of us have a sense of humour, we're Palace fans for heavens sake! But when people write stuff about our club/ground which is just plain wrong, then it is a bit annoying.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-10-2004, 03:17 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Don't worry about, SP is a bit old and crappy, especially the arthur but I still love it. Although I did queue for the entire HT and still didn't get a pint on Monday, which is all rather typical. I think the transport thing stems from the fact that most northern monkeys arrive at Euston or Kings Cross and if you don't know your way around getting to SP is a pain in the arse. Likewise if you drive. Not actually being anywhere near Crystal Palace adds another nice little twist.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:31 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Can't see what we are meant to do about the weather to be honest!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Sick Bucket
I think the transport thing stems from the fact that most northern monkeys arrive at Euston or Kings Cross and if you don't know your way around getting to SP is a pain in the arse. .
I think you've hit the nail on the head perfectly.
But we are by no means unique in this respect.

Also, the fact that for 18 years, 2 teams played at Selhurst, away fans are twice as likely to have come to Selhurst than other grounds, so more are likely to have experienced the place.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 11-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Whitehorse Wall Boys

ed winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of fear
When you read the introduction to the list of worst grounds, you can see that it was meant to be a "p!ss take" rather than a serious guide to the UK's worst grounds. I got a bit wound-up by it, but you have to ask who actually wrote the piece about Selhurst, the clue comes from "just the other side of London" so take your pick from any of our "friends" in the Capital, including Millwall and Charlton.

I've been trying to find out the best way to get to Bolton on Saturday. The Reebok is way out of Bolton town centre, it might be a new ground, as are half the stadiums in the Prem now, but that does'nt mean it's an easy trip (and I'm not talking about the game!),
so whoever wrote the piece on Selhurst claiming it was too far from any of the THREE local stations and that you could'nt find a suitable Pub was definitely on a wind-up!