Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember starting a thread up about Russel Brand a few years ago due to him being everywhere promoting an autobiography which bemused me because I had never heard of him.

His rise to 'fame' always struck me as being artificial and I am still not convinced that he is not some cunning form of viral advertising that has gone awry. Like somehow the joke is on us for giving him the time of day.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 PM
hey, its just an opinion

the digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe digger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
So are you saying he should have bought a place, or rented a cheaper place, or what?
He can do what he likes, for all I care. But markets are driven by supply and demand, so paying that sum plays a part in driving up rents in that area. Which is what he was campaigning against.

The politics of opposition is always the easy option, but if you're not a part of the solution, you're probably part of the problem.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Troublemaker

EdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is here
Was he campaigning against rising rents in the area? Wasn't it more specific than that?

And do you think the sun witchhunt, with all its "the nation speaks" bullshit, is justified?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Probably not, but he was happy to jump into bed with the super soaraway when it suited him.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:31 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
QUOTE=ExiledStirling;12106904]The irony is thattheree are people on here calling him a wanker , self publicist etc that are taken in by the media bollocks that try to silence the impact of what he says, yet if the same words came out of someone else's mouth they would be agreeing with him.

Power to him for speaking out on the issues that he does and well done to media outlets like The Sun for getting the ordinary folk as shown here on the BBS to smear the guy so that he is labelled a wanker by many and his message(s) is not listened to.

I personally have little care for what his personality is like, as I do not know the guy, but what I do know is we need people like him to express views that are outside of the usual fodder we are fed, so we are encouraged to think about an alternate way for this world to work. Lets face it, the way it works now, where it is all about conflict, poverty and bad news in general is pretty crap (just watch the news) so good on him to look at an alternate way at looking at things.

Does not mean you have to agree with everything he says, or that everything he says is right, but his attempt to shift our perspectives and outlook should be encouraged not silenced or mocked because things do need to change.[/
QUOTE]

Well said.

What saddens me most is your average guy on the street being so blinded by their inbuilt prejudices of what a character like Russell represents to them, that they end up discrediting what he's trying to say and in doing so, doing the dirty work of big business corporations and Governments whose main aim is to screw over the ordinary man and increase their wealth and power.

The erosion of our rights and power have really spiralled out of control these last few years in favour of the all consuming few at the top of the tree; so thank God for someone in the public eye like Russell, who has a conscious enough to put themselves in the line of fire, and promote views and ideas that aren't publicized by the very media organisations run by those doing the screwing and desperate to keep the status quo.

I am sure if Brand's sole aim was self publicity, there are easier ways at his disposal to create that than go down the avenue he is treading. The same criticisms were labelled at John Lennon way back then. Yes, you could sit all day and discuss the inconsistencies in characters like Brand and Lennon; but that would be missing the point pretty wildly in my book.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel

Last edited by bubbs11; 09-12-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:35 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick View Post
Has farage got a season ticket for question time? Ugly racist toff seems like a regular fixture.

Needs the approach that obrien took on lbc when he took farage apart.But that never seems to happen on question time.Even griffin survived pretty unscathed.
What happened to the BNP in the end? They were getting a bit popular once.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:27 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-leg View Post
Before people mock Brand, I would urge you to go on his youtube channel and watch some of the things that he talks about.

He is an extremely articulate intelligent man, who speaks about things he believes in.

No thanks.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

Well said.

What saddens me most is your average guy on the street being so blinded by their inbuilt prejudices of what a character like Russell represents to them, that they end up discrediting what he's trying to say and in doing so, doing the dirty work of big business corporations and Governments whose main aim is to screw over the ordinary man and increase their wealth and power.

The erosion of our rights and power have really spiralled out of control these last few years in favour of the all consuming few at the top of the tree; so thank God for someone in the public eye like Russell, who has a conscious enough to put themselves in the line of fire, and promote views and ideas that aren't publicized by the very media organisations run by those doing the screwing and desperate to keep the status quo.

I am sure if Brand's sole aim was self publicity, there are easier ways at his disposal to create that than go down the avenue he is treading. The same criticisms were labelled at John Lennon way back then. Yes, you could sit all day and discuss the inconsistencies in characters like Brand and Lennon; but that would be missing the point pretty wildly in my book.
Great post.

You have said what I wanted to say but could not put into words as well as you have.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Lennon > Brand.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
The wifebeating smackhead hypocrite, or the angry bogtrotting ginge?
Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
Brand in his interview with Paxman blamed 'society' for the fact that he is/was a drug addict.

What a brave man.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
Incidentally, Gilsey, I never said that Brand was vulgar because he shagged around.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC_DAVE77 View Post
Brand in his interview with Paxman blamed 'society' for the fact that he is/was a drug addict.

What a brave man.
In fairness to Brand, who I'm not a fan of, he wasn't as you imply suggesting it was the fault of society alone thus leaving him blameless. It wasn't an attempt to abrogate personal responsibility as I recall (long time since I've seen it), rather an attempt to highlight societies role in creating addicts. This is, after all, someone who had put a lot into helping other addicts get and stay clean and so has a deeply vested interest in changing the conditions that allow addiction to flourish.

You'd have to be some kind of weird libertarian to insist that addiction is solely down to the individual, with societal conditions having no role to play whatsoever.

Mind you it's been ages since I've watched it. I might be being over charitable based on interviews I've read rather than that particular one on telly.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Mind you it's been ages since I've watched it. I might be being over charitable based on interviews I've read rather than that particular one on telly.
Was a great interview and one that had Paxman smiling quite often while he tried to ask the searching questions.

The basic message Brand puts across is right about the corporate and political elites and he puts across his argument why he does not vote in a clear and understandable way.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Maidstoned For Mod!

EryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by the digger View Post
And, if he is paying £6000 pcm for a 3 bed flat in Shoreditch (as The Sun alleges), I do find that somewhat vulgar and naïve (if not hypocritical) for not recognising the part he plays in creating demand for the overpriced executive housing he was rallying against.
I happen to know somebody who had the job of carrying all his stuff up to his flat for him, unpacking it, laying it out etc. etc. before he moved in. At the time I was given that exact figure (though I'm not entirely sure where that information came from, only that it was accepted as true by the whole carrying/unpacking/laying out team), so either the Sun's claim is accurate based on some actual evidence, or they've been told the very same unfounded rumour I was.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
I have a lot of time for Russell Brand. Sometimes it takes someone from the outside to tell it straight and show it up for what it is. Good that the Sun are going after him with their screwed up #thesunlogic, but the days of the Sun thinking they can influence the nation are long gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 09-12-2014, 03:15 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Was a great interview and one that had Paxman smiling quite often while he tried to ask the searching questions.

The basic message Brand puts across is right about the corporate and political elites and he puts across his argument why he does not vote in a clear and understandable way.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
That Paxman interview was the first time I've seen Paxman not come off the winner, even he was smiling at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 PM

Mike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Elwiss came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
should be interesting tonight
Old 11-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Elwiss View Post
should be interesting tonight
It's a shame Brand is on there with Farage ... two massive egos who love the sound of their own voice ... I'm not keen on either as they are political "snipers" in my book - it could be memorable or just full of populist ranting
Old 11-12-2014, 11:00 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Soundbites galore