Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 21-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Internazionale

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
I presume that is not a positive career move.
Pity. Wonder if he dreams of being AWB ?
Well it is sort of. He was only playing for Gladbach's reserves which was League 2 / Conference equivalent, now he is in the 2. Bundesliga which is basically Championship level.
Old 21-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
I will be interested to read Gazza's take on this. When I used to present on Palace Radio, he used to come on every week and do a youth report. Over the years that he did it, I don't think there was any young Palace place Gazza got more excited about than Egbo

I assume he left for Germany because he saw more chance of progressing quickly. At the time I recall there were probably 3 players ahead of him for right back spot in the first team, and we had seemingly stopped promoting kids anyway, so I don't blame him for taking an opportunity that came along. And he doesn't appear to have made any attempt to come back to England, as presumably he was in a position to do, so it wouldn't seem he regrets moving to Germany even if it hasn't worked out quite as he had hoped so far
Old 21-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
I presume that is not a positive career move.
Pity. Wonder if he dreams of being AWB ?
From what I know of Mandela and his family (admittedly only a little) I don't think he will be. He is the sort of person who looks forward, not back. I guess there's always an element of hindsight in everyone's minds but primarily he'll be wanting to do well in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
I will be interested to read Gazza's take on this. When I used to present on Palace Radio, he used to come on every week and do a youth report. Over the years that he did it, I don't think there was any young Palace place Gazza got more excited about than Egbo

I assume he left for Germany because he saw more chance of progressing quickly. At the time I recall there were probably 3 players ahead of him for right back spot in the first team, and we had seemingly stopped promoting kids anyway, so I don't blame him for taking an opportunity that came along. And he doesn't appear to have made any attempt to come back to England, as presumably he was in a position to do, so it wouldn't seem he regrets moving to Germany even if it hasn't worked out quite as he had hoped so far
Ian, I'm sure Gazza will provide his opinion in due course, and I hope you don't mind me sharing mine...

For me, it's a sensible move. He's an intelligent guy from a driven background and exceedingly talented family (one sister is elite at the violin and the other competes for GB at youth level in the high jump).

Who knows what would have happened had he stayed here. I suspect he would be on loan in the football league, and I strongly suspect he wouldn't have wanted that. We would never have seen AWB as a right-back. At the time of leaving he was 3rd choice RB, soon to be 2nd choice. At 17, that's not bad. But, without going into details, he had some concerns that were not addressed and that along with the opportunity to play for a huge club and be one of the first of his footballing generation to move abroad in search of more opportunities, made sense for him to leave. I'm not sure from a football POV it was the right decision, but I do think he will have learnt a lot personally and he'll definitely value that as much as his football development.

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

Last edited by Woosie; 21-05-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 23-05-2019, 03:27 AM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
From what I know of Mandela and his family (admittedly only a little) I don't think he will be. He is the sort of person who looks forward, not back. I guess there's always an element of hindsight in everyone's minds but primarily he'll be wanting to do well in future.

Ian, I'm sure Gazza will provide his opinion in due course, and I hope you don't mind me sharing mine...

For me, it's a sensible move. He's an intelligent guy from a driven background and exceedingly talented family (one sister is elite at the violin and the other competes for GB at youth level in the high jump).

Who knows what would have happened had he stayed here. I suspect he would be on loan in the football league, and I strongly suspect he wouldn't have wanted that. We would never have seen AWB as a right-back. At the time of leaving he was 3rd choice RB, soon to be 2nd choice. At 17, that's not bad. But, without going into details, he had some concerns that were not addressed and that along with the opportunity to play for a huge club and be one of the first of his footballing generation to move abroad in search of more opportunities, made sense for him to leave. I'm not sure from a football POV it was the right decision, but I do think he will have learnt a lot personally and he'll definitely value that as much as his football development.
“Concerns not addressed”

What a tease... spill the beans
Old 23-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Because of his closeness to the youth operation, Woosie meets a lot of parents and gets to know things others don't hear. Parents trust him to keep them private, and he wouldn't keep that trust if he shared things he has heard in confidence
Old 23-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
That’s an excellent and illuminating reply, thanks, Woosie.
Old 23-05-2019, 08:51 AM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yet another example of a young exciting talent getting carried away and then failing this lad and Bostock are classic examples, instead of learning to Walk before you Run they think they are the finished article at 17/18 yrs old. We are seeing so much of that now with young British talent going to Germany thinking the grass is greener there and ofcourse the wages offered is tempting, for every One that succeeds many many fail.
Old 23-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Internazionale

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
Yet another example of a young exciting talent getting carried away and then failing this lad and Bostock are classic examples, instead of learning to Walk before you Run they think they are the finished article at 17/18 yrs old. We are seeing so much of that now with young British talent going to Germany thinking the grass is greener there and ofcourse the wages offered is tempting, for every One that succeeds many many fail.
The guy is playing second division German football next season and he will only be turning 22 in August, I wouldn't exactly say his career has nosedived just yet.

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 23-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 23-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
The guy is playing second division German football next season and he will only be turning 22 in August, I wouldn't exactly say his career has nosedive just yet.
I agree.
Old 23-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Snafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnafu : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Or perhaps they see no pathway through to first team football at the club they are at and decide to take a risk, rather than playing U23 football and being let go a couple of years later having to start their professional career in the lower leagues.
Old 23-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Internazionale

Playing U23 football unless you are exceedingly young like 17-19 must be a bit of a bind. I can't see any players 20+ really being tested playing in the Development League.
Old 23-05-2019, 04:59 PM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
The guy is playing second division German football next season and he will only be turning 22 in August, I wouldn't exactly say his career has nosedived just yet.
Having been one of the hottest young British talents at 17/18 then joining a Top German club but then at age 22 is jetisoned off to a 2nd div club, surely it does not exactly suggest he has progressed or been a success does it?
You say he is 22 and his career has not quite nosedived as yet, i agree as he still has time on his side but it maybe has not gone how he had hoped especially if he had stayed and developed with Palace.
And that was the point i was making about young players learning their trade first at the club best suited, Think John Bostock.
Old 23-05-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Or perhaps they see no pathway through to first team football at the club they are at and decide to take a risk, rather than playing U23 football and being let go a couple of years later having to start their professional career in the lower leagues.
You make a valid point, but in the case of Egbo he was highly thought of at the club and it would not have been long before Palace realised he needed to be sent out on loan so as to speed up his progress, and then possibly be pushing for a Palace First team spot.
At 17 yrs old there is a lot of learning to be done and young players need to appreciate that and be patient, unfortunately there is so much financial incentives for young players these days that money rules from a very young age before they have even mastered their trade.
Old 25-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
You make a valid point, but in the case of Egbo he was highly thought of at the club and it would not have been long before Palace realised he needed to be sent out on loan so as to speed up his progress, and then possibly be pushing for a Palace First team spot.
At 17 yrs old there is a lot of learning to be done and young players need to appreciate that and be patient, unfortunately there is so much financial incentives for young players these days that money rules from a very young age before they have even mastered their trade.
I can say with a high degree of confidence that money was not the motivating factor in Egbo moving to Gladbach.

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 25-05-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
I can say with a high degree of confidence that money was not the motivating factor in Egbo moving to Gladbach.
Thats good to know, so it would be interesting to know what went wrong if it did? as it mentions he will be playing in a lower league next season. Maybe in hindsight he will feel he could have made better progress if he had stayed at Palace, guess we will never know.
Old 25-05-2019, 04:25 PM

Jolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Good luck to the guy. He made his choice and he obviously hasn’t fulfilled his potential. Can’t see the fascination to be honest.
Old 26-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Stan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStan the man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Mandy to his friends?
Old 26-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Palace Saved 1/6/10

Dan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Thats good to know, so it would be interesting to know what went wrong if it did? as it mentions he will be playing in a lower league next season. Maybe in hindsight he will feel he could have made better progress if he had stayed at Palace, guess we will never know.
Is he playing in a lower league? I thought he was playing for their 2nd team, which isn't in the Bundesliga. So actually, if he gets gametime at his new club, then it's hardly a step down, but more of an improvement.
Old 26-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Football changes quickly.

Four years ago, Spain had the best team, Germany was seen as a model football environment with excellent coaches and England looked tired.

Now Germany is short of talent and eager to import young English players, France and Belgium are the best European teams, and England have monopolised the two European club competitions, and have a wealth of talented young players breaking through. *

*Despite this, Southgate is still whining about the small number of English players playing regularly in the Prem - Surely that couldn't have anything to do with his favoured predatory EPPP system, could it ?
Old 26-05-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan A View Post
Is he playing in a lower league? I thought he was playing for their 2nd team, which isn't in the Bundesliga. So actually, if he gets gametime at his new club, then it's hardly a step down, but more of an improvement.
Someone mentioned on here he had left/released and that he has dropped into Div2, how true that is i dont know but that is all i know Dan. But i wish the lad all the best for the future.