Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-05-2021, 04:43 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
That was literally the day after his 18th birthday. The day United beat us 3-1 it was a week short of my 19th birthday. It hit me that he already achieved more as an 18 year in one day than I'd managed in 51 weeks! What a depressing day that was
Yeah but look at him now eh?
Old 11-05-2021, 04:45 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I remember at the time thinking that maybe the tide was starting to turn, in terms of the bigger teams making themselves stronger. It seemed to me that we may as well enjoy it while it lasted because we may struggle to keep pace. We were seeing the first real wave of overseas players coming in, generally there was a definite upgrade in quality and it was the big sides who were leading the way. Kanchelskis shortly followed by Schmichael at United was a good example, of course the following season Leeds unearthed Eric Cantona and the rest is history. Within a few years Chelsea were spending big under the patronage of Matthew Harding, tempting the likes of Gullitt and Vialli their dump of a ground, and United were faced with the dilemma of which of their array of foreign stars to leave out of their champions league ties with the restriction still at 3 overseas players per team. With hindsight we never really stood a chance once the money men started pouring in, Uncle Ron was not in the same league as the sugar daddies and hard nosed corporate men.

In many ways typical Palace that we ended up getting relegated in the first premier league season although it probably wouldn't have made all that much difference had we stayed up for a couple more years. The likes of Oldham and Coventry would stick around for a bit but once they were gone, they were gone. We have done well to get back up there and stay put for as long as we have.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:07 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Onto the final top ten breakers of this season then, for week ending 11 May:

Touch Me (All Night Long) by Cathy Dennis - certainly an enticing offer for an 18 year old Bipe, young Cathy had a lithe frame which you could imagine manoeuvring itself into all sorts of gymnastic contortions. The song itself has left no impression though.

There's No Other Way by Blur - this was their debut proper hit, a fairly mediocre slice of Madchester style indie-pop. Their real breakthrough came in 1994 with the Parklife album which I thought was groundbreaking at the time.

Just for the hell of it, a few standout tracks from the rest of 1991 which I won't otherwise get the chance to waffle on about:

June: (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams - here it is, number 1 for a record-breaking 16 weeks and easily the biggest selling single of the year. In reality a pretty uninspiring ballad from a mediocre film. This month also saw Rod Stewart briefly hit the top ten again with 'The Motown Song', see my earlier comments on this thread about the fact that he'd given up trying in any way to be relevant by this point, it was an abomination.

July: Always There by Incognito - a nightclub staple at the time and as such it brings back happy memories for me. Also an honourable mention this month for You Could Be Mine by Guns 'n' Roses, one of the all time top rock intros and tied in the the summer box-office smash movie Terminator 2.

August: I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred - massive novelty hit, harmless fun at the time, shame they have now turned out to be alt-right weirdos. This month also saw Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, which I stand firmly behind today as one of the great and criminally overlooked summer tracks. Plus The Prodigy with their first hit Charly, a children's safety film converted into a rave anthem.

September: Not a lot going on this month so a quick mention for Love...Thy Will Be Done by Martika because I used to fancy her.

October: What a dreadful month. We had The Scorpions with their cliched 'fall of the iron curtain' power ballad Wind of Change, Julian Lennon's horrible dirge Saltwater on which he sounded exactly like his dad at his most maudlin, earworm (not in a good way) Get Ready For This by 2 Unlimited to name but a few duds.

November - The KLF AKA The Justified Ancients Of Mu-Mu returned with the bizarre It's Grim Up North, kiddie fiddler Michael Jackson scored a huge hit with the unimpressive Black Or White, Seal cashed in with a rehash of Killer and a band called Nirvana arrived on the scene with Smells Like Teen Spirit, riff from More Than A Feeling and all.

December - The KLF were back again, this time with Tammy Wynette for Justified and Ancient which was as bonkers as it was brilliant. The woeful Simply Red returned with Stars, a song so middle of the road it should have had dotted white lines running around the grooves, and Queen hit the Christmas number one thanks to the death of Freddie Mercury with the re-released Bohemian Rhapsody which I have always just found annoying.

Last edited by Bipe; 11-05-2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-05-2021, 05:46 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Yeah Giggs was frightening.
Am I right that he was up against a young Gareth Southgate playing out of position at right back?

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 12-05-2021, 07:06 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Onto the final top ten breakers of this season then, for week ending 11 May:

Touch Me (All Night Long) by Cathy Dennis - certainly an enticing offer for an 18 year old Bipe, young Cathy had a lithe frame which you could imagine manoeuvring itself into all sorts of gymnastic contortions. The song itself has left no impression though.

There's No Other Way by Blur - this was their debut proper hit, a fairly mediocre slice of Madchester style indie-pop. Their real breakthrough came in 1994 with the Parklife album which I thought was groundbreaking at the time.

Just for the hell of it, a few standout tracks from the rest of 1991 which I won't otherwise get the chance to waffle on about:

June: (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams - here it is, number 1 for a record-breaking 16 weeks and easily the biggest selling single of the year. In reality a pretty uninspiring ballad from a mediocre film. This month also saw Rod Stewart briefly hit the top ten again with 'The Motown Song', see my earlier comments on this thread about the fact that he'd given up trying in any way to be relevant by this point, it was an abomination.

July: Always There by Incognito - a nightclub staple at the time and as such it brings back happy memories for me. Also an honourable mention this month for You Could Be Mine by Guns 'n' Roses, one of the all time top rock intros and tied in the the summer box-office smash movie Terminator 2.

August: I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred - massive novelty hit, harmless fun at the time, shame they have now turned out to be alt-right weirdos. This month also saw Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, which I stand firmly behind today as one of the great and criminally overlooked summer tracks. Plus The Prodigy with their first hit Charly, a children's safety film converted into a rave anthem.

September: Not a lot going on this month so a quick mention for Love...Thy Will Be Done by Martika because I used to fancy her.

October: What a dreadful month. We had The Scorpions with their cliched 'fall of the iron curtain' power ballad Wind of Change, Julian Lennon's horrible dirge Saltwater on which he sounded exactly like his dad at his most maudlin, earworm (not in a good way) Get Ready For This by 2 Unlimited to name but a few duds.

November - The KLF AKA The Justified Ancients Of Mu-Mu returned with the bizarre It's Grim Up North, kiddie fiddler Michael Jackson scored a huge hit with the unimpressive Black Or White, Seal cashed in with a rehash of Killer and a band called Nirvana arrived on the scene with Smells Like Teen Spirit, riff from More Than A Feeling and all.

December - The KLF were back again, this time with Tammy Wynette for Justified and Ancient which was as bonkers as it was brilliant. The woeful Simply Red returned with Stars, a song so middle of the road it should have had dotted white lines running around the grooves, and Queen hit the Christmas number one thanks to the death of Freddie Mercury with the re-released Bohemian Rhapsody which I have always just found annoying.
Fair comments in the main here. Cathy Dennis was so hot it was untrue Enjoyed the song....although mainly when watching the video on MTV rather than radio!

KLF - such a crazy mix of songs in that period. Always original and it's a shame they get largely forgotten. Never realised Grim Up North was a single - I only knew of that song as my brother had their album. Somewhere on the BBS from the early 00s, I did a thread based on that song to try and see if we had a supporter/BBS member from every town mentioned in it. Don't think we got them all but we had a good go.

There's No Other Way - absolutely mad for it at the time. Proper loved that song although on reflection it wasn't as good as what was to come from them later in the decade.

Great round up, as ever, Bipe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 12-05-2021, 08:36 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Am I right that he was up against a young Gareth Southgate playing out of position at right back?
If so, it may have scarred him as much as his Euro 96 penalty miss
Old 14-05-2021, 05:50 AM

EnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thank you to all those who shared memories of the greatest of all seasons, which have stayed with me. In my mind neither I or the players have put on 30 years. I'd started going regularly from the liverpool game, even venturing as far as plough lane, and although it never felt that there was a realistic chance of winning the title the continued rise over the last few years meant that you expected we could beat anyone (apart from arsenal) and made winning the cup a real possibility. I think not having instant access 24/7 meant you had to put in the effort to see the greatest Palace team. Saturday afternoons in front of teletext with radio 5 on trying to get news from a game up north or calling clubcall to find out who was fit (painfully slowly)

Also thanks for the chart memories, which have added to the nostalgia. I didn't have the money back then so tough decisions were needed to finance trips to Selhurst. Recording mates music tape to tape, going halves on a video rental from the corner shop and forget those naf naf jeans.
Old 14-05-2021, 06:15 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Cathy Dennis was so hot it was untrue
Arguably her biggest (worldwide) success was a song she wrote for someone else: Can't Get You Out Of My Head.
Old 14-05-2021, 07:02 AM

Mr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I remember at the time thinking that maybe the tide was starting to turn, in terms of the bigger teams making themselves stronger. It seemed to me that we may as well enjoy it while it lasted because we may struggle to keep pace. We were seeing the first real wave of overseas players coming in, generally there was a definite upgrade in quality and it was the big sides who were leading the way. Kanchelskis shortly followed by Schmichael at United was a good example, of course the following season Leeds unearthed Eric Cantona and the rest is history. Within a few years Chelsea were spending big under the patronage of Matthew Harding, tempting the likes of Gullitt and Vialli their dump of a ground, and United were faced with the dilemma of which of their array of foreign stars to leave out of their champions league ties with the restriction still at 3 overseas players per team. With hindsight we never really stood a chance once the money men started pouring in, Uncle Ron was not in the same league as the sugar daddies and hard nosed corporate men.

In many ways typical Palace that we ended up getting relegated in the first premier league season although it probably wouldn't have made all that much difference had we stayed up for a couple more years. The likes of Oldham and Coventry would stick around for a bit but once they were gone, they were gone. We have done well to get back up there and stay put for as long as we have.
We were one of the last of the smaller clubs to break into the top three. Norwich managed it in 1993 and then Blackburn won it in 1995 with a fair amount of money behind them (who knows what we could have achieved if we had signed Shearer). But after that nothing until Leicesterís triumph in 2016. I do think football has lost something when even for a smaller Premier League club like ourselves the top three is something we can only dream about now.
Old 14-05-2021, 09:10 AM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
We were one of the last of the smaller clubs to break into the top three. Norwich managed it in 1993 and then Blackburn won it in 1995 with a fair amount of money behind them (who knows what we could have achieved if we had signed Shearer). But after that nothing until Leicesterís triumph in 2016. I do think football has lost something when even for a smaller Premier League club like ourselves the top three is something we can only dream about now.
Agree - if you look at the Football League Championship, a successful defence of the title itself didn't occur from the late 1950s to Liverpool in the mid-1970s.

IIRC one season early 70s the top 7 was completely (or 6 out of 7) different to the previous season.

Change started when the 25% gate money to the away team was stopped. TV money then made the gap far wider.

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 14-05-2021, 09:18 AM

November85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Wasn't right back originally his position? I know that's where he played when he first broke into the team, and I seem to remember something in his autobiography about how he felt a rivalry with John Pemberton.
Old 14-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Fading into memory.

E.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Yep, pretty sure Gareth was almost always at right back whenever I watched him playing for the Youth and reserve teams around that time.
Where I can't be seen, I don't wanna be free
Old Today, 03:57 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by November85 View Post
Wasn't right back originally his position? I know that's where he played when he first broke into the team, and I seem to remember something in his autobiography about how he felt a rivalry with John Pemberton.
Gareth made his first start against Liverpool at Anfield in this 90/91 season as a centre back. His next start was the following season in that fateful Leeds match where Salako got his horrific injury, and he played centre back again.

But then for the rest of that first half of the 91/92 season, Southgate regularly started as right back (with Lee Sinnott left back). After the new year he then played a few months in midfield, but ended the season at right back again.

Think the following season he played in the midfield.

Even though I mustíve seen him a few times at reserve and youth level, I canít recall where he played.

ďSupporting Palace has a certain cult value Ė like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.Ē
- John Peel
Old Today, 06:41 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
If so, it may have scarred him as much as his Euro 96 penalty miss
My memory is thinking that, although Giggs took him apart, he did better against him than many more experienced full backs at the time.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk