Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 12-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The last 20 years

Bloody hell, I've just realised I recently ticked over 20 years on the BBS, having apparently joined on 7th October 1999. Not been here as long as many of you, of course, and certainly not posted as often as most, but still it feels like a long time.

So much has happened in that time. Just from a Palace perspective, there's been admin v1, last day survival at Stockport, some serious dross with few and far between brief periods of fun like under Bruce, the excitement of 2003/4 under Dowie > promotion then relegation, buggering up the play-offs, buggering up the league cup semi final a couple of times, admin v2, last day survival at Sheff Wed, new hope, promotion, a second FA Cup Final, and our longest ever stay in the top flight.

By far the biggest change for me personally in that time has been emigrating to Australia, and as a result having to give up my season ticket. To this day it still pisses me off that I can't go to the games, other than very few occasions. And worse still is that my 11 year old - who is absolutely bonkers about Palace - hasn't been able to experience what it's like to go every week. We've been back to the UK a couple of times and we've all gone to whatever game is on at the time, but it's not the same.

Anyway, here's to the next 20 years!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Landlord

Son of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
By far the biggest change for me personally in that time has been emigrating to Australia, and as a result having to give up my season ticket.
Some on here will accuse you of not being a 'proper' supporter
Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Congratulations JJ.

Do you regret moving to Oz? Or do you just miss certain things but overall it's been a positive?
Old 13-10-2019, 01:15 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
No I don't regret it at all, but I still miss family, going to Palace, and going to gigs. I love the country itself which is amazing - from the desert in the middle, to the tropical rainforest, and the best thing of all for me the Great Barrier Reef.

The anti-English thing here gets a bit tedious sometimes, especially during sport (the current Fox Sports tv ad here during rugby world cup about England is ridiculous). But whenever someone says something to me about it, I just remind them that apart from England cricket fans during the Ashes, the rest of England doesn't really care about any rivalry with Australia. Some of them are a bit like Charlton to Palace, wanting a rivalry that just isn't there.

At least I still get to watch Palace pretty much every week, it just means getting up in the middle of the night to watch it live.
Old 13-10-2019, 01:47 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Sums it up for me after 33 years. Best thing is both my sons who are now grown men have been indoctrinated the right way. Both have been to SP and the three of us came back for the final in 2016.

Agree about the anti English thing, most is a media beat up ,probably similar to the UK with xenaphobic stirrings .
Old 13-10-2019, 02:03 AM
Veteran

Like you, my kids have been brought up as Palace fans, though mine are still only 13 and 11, but as I mentioned above my 11 year old in particular is crazy about Palace.

We've been here for coming up to 11 years now. As a family we've only been back to England twice in that time, but have made sure we go to SP for whatever game is on. So in 2012-13 we saw the 3-0 win against Derby shortly after Holloway had taken over - that was my kids' first ever Palace match. Then under Allardyce (I think) we saw the 1-2 defeat to Swansea when Wilf scored with a scissor kick.
Old 13-10-2019, 02:20 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
That's good,and not unexpected. Most kids over here if interested in football follow the usual suspects.
Old 13-10-2019, 02:47 AM
Veteran

That's true. But a few of the boys at my son's school now ask about Palace. They see how passionate he is. The seed is sown...
Old 13-10-2019, 03:13 AM

Amen brother, he is doing Roy's work.
Old 13-10-2019, 03:35 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Looks like I just surpassed 18 years on the BBS. Where has the time gone.

A lot of members have come and gone over those years, some voluntarily, others not so much. Always interesting to look at old threads and see names that we no longer see.

Personally not been back to Selhurst Park in those 18 years, but was lucky enough to get to the 2016 Cup Final, which was a bucket list item, even though it was not the old Wembley. Despite the result I thoroughly enjoyed the day.
Old 17-10-2019, 01:05 AM

moverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
17 years today for me.
Got introduced here by Jack Regan and ammiller - whatever happened to them?
Old 19-10-2019, 05:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moverman View Post
I used to read what was a sort of forum that may have been linked to the official site earlier in 1999, but it was largely inhabited by knuckle draggers and nearly every discussion descended into nothing more than idiots swearing at each other. Then someone posted on there that if Palace fans wanted a bit more reasonable / reasoned discussion, to head over to the BBS.

I did, and liked it much more, but was worried about registering / posting on an internet forum from work (as it had strict internet usage rules), so I actually sent Dave a message to ask him if I was to email him with what I wanted to write, could he then please post it for me! He (quite rightly) politely declined, so I took the plunge and signed up.
Old 21-10-2019, 12:00 AM
Loosefish Scapegrace

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by moverman View Post
17 years today for me.
I've seen ammiller at various away games in relatively recent times.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:38 AM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
20 years, 3 months, 15 days...Or 243 months 15 days,7412 days,177,888 hours,10,673,280 minutes or 640,396,800 seconds where did they go....
Old 21-10-2019, 05:31 AM

Stan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is here
I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks that watching football now (at the ground obviously), is better than back then? Take aside our relative successes of recent years, it just seemed a more fun, light-hearted time back then. I'm being objective as possible here, not just due to my age or nostalgia. I dont see the younger gen having that same kind of experience. A lot's changed in 20 years, mostly tech related, and i think it's affected things quite profoundly, one way or the other...
Old 21-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks that watching football now (at the ground obviously), is better than back then? Take aside our relative successes of recent years, it just seemed a more fun, light-hearted time back then. I'm being objective as possible here, not just due to my age or nostalgia. I dont see the younger gen having that same kind of experience. A lot's changed in 20 years, mostly tech related, and i think it's affected things quite profoundly, one way or the other...
I know that watching was mainly B&W back then (or even before) and that's always better than the modern day colour.

And I do mean Black and White. Back in the day, looking from my spot on the Holmesdale all you could see was B&W. A Palace white strip that was usually covered in mud within 5 minutes (very very very dark brown mud), a pitch that had not a single spot of green on it - just dark brown mud, and a crowd that all wore dark overcoats, mufflers, gloves and hats. The whole experience was B&W - much more enjoyable
Old 21-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
Going to football was something that would be looked forward to for an entire week because that was really all there was available for us, particularly non Premier League teams who barely had highlights available.

Whatever the result, you weren't able to dissect it for 6 solid days then turn up still freshly annoyed from the week before because it has never been away from the forefront of your mind like nowadays.

I wonder how the 'Palace Fix' would be for a lot of the people that are so disilussioned, if they gave up all football related Media bar perhaps a Sunday newspaper between games. Would they still find it a chore or would some of it return?

Almost go cold turkey between hits!
Old 23-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Give me the all standing banging on the advertising boards, the peanut lady,the scary tin urinal bogs with one lightbulb at the back of the Holmesdale where the piss used to over flow at half time running down the road (And they complain about the carsey's now lol).

The only sitting was the posh people until they built the New stand then for some odd reason they put Millwall up there so we got things chucked ,gobbed on then they started jumping down like paratroopers on us

The pitch was mud but it was what it was and people grumbled about everything..The football 50/50 up and down we were a Scunthorpe never really going anywhere, again it was what it was until Bert Head.

Just to add,I think the live com thread symbolises watching a game off football,the ups and downs,frustration,calling a player shit then "told you he would come good" ...Manager getting it all wrong,he should go until we win then he is the best think since sliced bread.

Funny some take the live com thread as people stating facts rather than the spur of the moment remarks in a football game as you do at football...
Old 24-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Stan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayP41ace View Post
Going to football was something that would be looked forward to for an entire week because that was really all there was available for us, particularly non Premier League teams who barely had highlights available.

Whatever the result, you weren't able to dissect it for 6 solid days then turn up still freshly annoyed from the week before because it has never been away from the forefront of your mind like nowadays.

I wonder how the 'Palace Fix' would be for a lot of the people that are so disilussioned, if they gave up all football related Media bar perhaps a Sunday newspaper between games. Would they still find it a chore or would some of it return?

Almost go cold turkey between hits!
The headlines of the ClubCall stories (never did phone in at those prices!) were about as much as you could get half the time.

I think all of this resulted in a more light hearted, less up its own arse, sport tbh. You went to game, moaned or celebrated after in the pub, then aside from chatting to pals or work colleagues, left it at that til the next fixture. Not this micro-analysis and the god-awful Stat Obsession of some people today...