Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: Which best describes you?
Currently in Holmesdale Lower, if rail seats (ie standing) are installed I want to be in them 145 40.50%
Currently in Holmesdale Lower - would choose a seating area if back of lower became standing 30 8.38%
Currently NOT IN Holmesdale Lower but would love to move to rail seating (standing) 103 28.77%
Not in Lower tier, and no interest in being in any standing area 63 17.60%
MOO! 17 4.75%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Why can’t you just put rail seating in? It’s still a seat but safer when fans stand up?
Old 21-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
The club won't do anything until safe standing is approved.

If safe standing is approved, I think you will then see a clampdown on standing in other areas - so at that stage the club will probably act.

But that's pure conjecture on my part.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 21-11-2018, 09:51 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
i'm sure there will be at least two provisos when the government finally approves safe standing:

1. 1:1 ratio
2. A limit on the number of safe standing seats linked to the stadium's capacity.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 21-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
i'm sure there will be at least two provisos when the government finally approves safe standing:

2. A limit on the number of safe standing seats linked to the stadium's capacity.
You may well be right, but I struggle to see the argument for the second of these (other than possibly an interim measure to test how well it works - surely there's no long term argument for a limit; if it's safe, it's safe and then numbers should be based on demand).

As I said above, point 3 for me will be a return to stronger enforcement on no persistent standing in other areas.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 21-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
As mentioned in the OP to this thread, the new 'Green Guide' which regulates stadium safety did not go as far as allowing standing in rail seated areas in the top two divisions

That would be for the new Sports Minister to push through legislation.

It did however allow flip up seats with rails to be installed in any ground, on the proviso that clubs have procedures in place to get fans in such areas to sit. Which the club already have (but don't bother trying to get fans to sit as it is a pointless waste of time and resources)

I suspect the club won't want to fork out £££ for thousands of expensive flip up rail seats (like Spurs have 7500 of) until either the government finish their review and formally allow standing in such areas, or until the arrangement at Spurs becomes so accepted that other clubs start installing it.

All eyes will be on Spurs when their ground opens, and whether or not they successfully enforce sitting in their railed areas.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 21-11-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 21-11-2018, 11:30 AM

strawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

So thinking this through we might get 400 standers, based on our capacity.
That would be handy.
/sarcasm off
Old 21-11-2018, 11:31 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
You may well be right, but I struggle to see the argument for the second of these (other than possibly an interim measure to test how well it works - surely there's no long term argument for a limit; if it's safe, it's safe and then numbers should be based on demand).

As I said above, point 3 for me will be a return to stronger enforcement on no persistent standing in other areas.
I suppose the argument would be that sitting is safer than standing, in line with the Taylor Report, so to cover that aspect I believe limits will be imposed.

I also agree that there will be greater emphasis on persistent standing in seated areas.

If rail seats are introduced and the seats are locked up I'm going to miss my 15 minute sit-down at half-time to read my programme.

Old 21-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
If rail seats are introduced and the seats are locked up I'm going to miss my 15 minute sit-down at half-time to read my programme.
I agree with this Even at away matches where I've stood for the whole 90 minutes, I'd normally have a sit down pre-match and during half time.

Old 21-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I don’t really understand the benefits of rail seating or why people are excited at the prospect. Is it just that someone can ‘legally’ stand up and watch the match?
Old 21-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiebald Leitch View Post
I don’t really understand the benefits of rail seating or why people are excited at the prospect. Is it just that someone can ‘legally’ stand up and watch the match?
Yes, I think so; and a clear indication that it's expected to be a standing area. But like you, I'm not sure what the excitement is at this point - what matters is when safe standing is approved.

Old 21-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I think for some it was the prospect that we could have a greater ratio than 1:1 and you could stand where you wanted like some away games.

Old 21-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I think the main drivers for this are:

- standing would be completely legal and official - nobody there can be hassled to sit down by stewards or fellow fans

- the hope that noisy singers would congregate together in safe standing areas and bring back top quality atmosphere which has been missing from many grounds since 'all seaters'

- for sitters, the hope that standing is then properly clamped down upon by stewards in seating areas so that they can buy tickets for seats in the knowledge they won't be like a jack in the box, or worse, have to stand all game
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 21-11-2018, 05:37 PM

libran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Would love to know how many would want to move to a rail seating area from all over the stadium, enough for the whole lower do we reckon?
Old 21-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Collecting Palace tat

The survey on page 1 suggests approximately three quarters of fans in the lower tier would want to be in rail seats in the lower tier. With regard to the quarter who don't, there are more than enough fans in other stands who would want to move to the lower tier if there were rail seats - two thirds of fans in other stands who voted indicated they would like to move to lower tier rail seating given the option

Even if you say the poll is unrepresentative, and water down the results, then 50% of current lower tier incumbents wanting to stand is not an unreasonable estimate, and therefore you'd only need 2500 others around the rest of the ground (a small percentage of the rest of the ground) and that would be enough to fill a whole lower tier of rail seats

Old 21-11-2018, 07:52 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Do you really think the club would fork out this massive expense when it works perfectly well as it is without having to spend a penny.

Unless a new stand is going to be built I do not see the club going out of its way to make rail seating a reality.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Depends if the HF resume their 'mosh pit' style celebrations I guess - ultimately it makes things safer for everyone, so the club will need to weigh up the risks when it becomes an option

Old 21-11-2018, 08:08 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Depends if the HF resume their 'mosh pit' style celebrations I guess - ultimately it makes things safer for everyone, so the club will need to weigh up the risks when it becomes an option
Never known any safety concerns regarding seating since the Holmesdale was built. In reality the club won't spend a fortune on rail seating just because the HF celebrate in a certain way. Would be far easier and cost effective to just ban the individual culprits.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Admittedly it doesn't seem like much but the whole principle that it is "illegal" to stand is akin to state control and a restriction on your freedom. In a day and age when fans have so little say or control over the game, this is one ray of light towards fans taking back some of that freedom.

Maybe that's a bit melodramatic but if you look at the governments initial, archaic response to the safe standing idea, then how they backtracked when they realised the extent of the feeling about it you can see how fans views have generally been ignored.

The German fans decided to take control of their game years ago and the atmosphere and overall match day experience gas benefitted greatly from it, whereas here our game has just become ever increasingly sanitised and dull.

Dorking has listed the actual benefits but there's a principal involved as well.

My hope is that fans in this country get themselves more organised so they can take some control of how the game is run, and not just be some toy for rich billionaires.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC.1990 View Post
Do you really think the club would fork out this massive expense when it works perfectly well as it is without having to spend a penny.

Unless a new stand is going to be built I do not see the club going out of its way to make rail seating a reality.
If safe standing is allowed but clubs don't install them, whilst still allowing standing, then chances are they will get in trouble.

One of the best things to come from this idea is it will ensure there a sections where people can stand and those where they can sit. There will a choice.
Old 21-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Time is running out

Cost? About a week of Benteke's wage.