Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 23-02-2019, 09:57 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
Younger brother Graham - a striker - died in 2017
OK thanks. Funny the things one remembers.
Old 25-02-2019, 08:17 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
25th Feb 1969 Bristol City 1 - Palace 1

Having beaten Hull City the "run" still in its early stages started to gain momentum with a hard one point at Ashton Gate. Palace scored through Bobby Woodruff.

We were keeping on Bert's target average of 1.5 points a game to secure promotion. Ahead the next game was at home to then current second placers Cardiff with a free scoring your striker John Toshack leading the line. This would be a big test of our promotion credentials.

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane

Last edited by Percy Dalton; 25-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 27-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember seeing the great Dave Mackay play for Derby when they beat us at Selhurst, but something happened in the return fixture, but I cannot remember what. I think we were winning and the game was abandoned with not long to go, but I could be wrong. I cannot seem to find any evidence of an abandoned match apart from the one all verses Blackpool in December. Anyone enlighten me?
Old 27-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Robin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I recall that we beat Derby away 1-0 midweek and I think we were the only team to win there in the season. There was no radio commentary or tv updates and I had to wait until the 10pm news and sport bulletin to find out the score. It was that game which finally convinced everyone that we could actually go up. My memory says that Bobby Woodruff (my first real football hero) scored the only goal but that could easily be wrong.
Old 27-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Derby County v Crystal Palace March 1969. Palace had five goals disallowed before Bobby Woodruffe scored the only goal of the game!
Old 27-02-2019, 05:34 PM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I recall that we beat Derby away 1-0 midweek and I think we were the only team to win there in the season. There was no radio commentary or tv updates and I had to wait until the 10pm news and sport bulletin to find out the score.
I had to wait in a long queue at South Croydon railway station the next morning to buy a paper and, trembling, look for the result. It was a massive win. The things you remember, the things you forget.
Old 27-02-2019, 06:59 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover View Post
I had to wait in a long queue at South Croydon railway station the next morning to buy a paper and, trembling, look for the result. It was a massive win. The things you remember, the things you forget.

At six the next morning I had in my possession a sackful of papers for my paper round. I was too nervous to look so I made a deal with God that I wouldn't check out the scores until I only had only one paper left. The deal included saying silent prayers along my route. I don't know if the bloke upstairs changed the score but at the last house I saw the magic words Woodruff stuns Derby. Cue to start jumping around the street as local curtains started to peep. As they say 'you'll never meet an atheist in a trench' well you don't meet many on a paper round either when they don't know their team's result.
Old 27-02-2019, 07:01 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoonara View Post
Derby County v Crystal Palace March 1969. Palace had five goals disallowed before Bobby Woodruffe scored the only goal of the game!
Didn't old Bert Head cry out for VAR the next day? Or am I just imagining it?
Old 27-02-2019, 08:59 PM

jjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
Didn't old Bert Head cry out for VAR the next day? Or am I just imagining it?
You misheard him, he said "ooh arr"
Old 27-02-2019, 09:04 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I remember seeing the great Dave Mackay play for Derby when they beat us at Selhurst, but something happened in the return fixture, but I cannot remember what. I think we were winning and the game was abandoned with not long to go, but I could be wrong. I cannot seem to find any evidence of an abandoned match apart from the one all verses Blackpool in December. Anyone enlighten me?
That was a league cup game away fourth round replay on 20 October 1969 abandoned fog.85 minutes score 1-1 Bobby Woodruff again our scorer
Old 27-02-2019, 10:08 PM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
At six the next morning I had in my possession a sackful of papers for my paper round. I was too nervous to look so I made a deal with God that I wouldn't check out the scores until I only had only one paper left. The deal included saying silent prayers along my route. I don't know if the bloke upstairs changed the score but at the last house I saw the magic words Woodruff stuns Derby. Cue to start jumping around the street as local curtains started to peep. As they say 'you'll never meet an atheist in a trench' well you don't meet many on a paper round either when they don't know their team's result.
Brilliant. I was as nervous as you that morning, for sure. Great story.
Old 28-02-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
That was a league cup game away fourth round replay on 20 October 1969 abandoned fog.85 minutes score 1-1 Bobby Woodruff again our scorer
Thanks for that, two matches same year, different season,fifty years ago. That’s my excuse anyway!!
Old 28-02-2019, 02:17 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Buggered if I remember the abandoned game. Remember the win a kid at school, Graham Nash had gone to the game and filled in all the details.
Old 28-02-2019, 02:22 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
At six the next morning I had in my possession a sackful of papers for my paper round. I was too nervous to look so I made a deal with God that I wouldn't check out the scores until I only had only one paper left.
Pretty much my story, except I read the first paper out of sight of the newsagents, then as the round went on got the details from all the different papers.

Rain or shine, which was a problem in the winter!
Old 28-02-2019, 02:23 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Buggered if I remember the abandoned game.
I was there... frozen pitch. I think it was only my second game.

Blackpool at home right?
Old 28-02-2019, 02:24 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Graham Nash had gone to the game and filled in all the details.
What did Crosby, Stills and Young think of the game?
Old 28-02-2019, 06:11 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I was there... frozen pitch. I think it was only my second game.

Blackpool at home right?
Nah the Derby game he was talking about. I was at the Blackpool game and the re scheueled game which we lost 1-2 them scoring 2 goals in the last 5 minutes. I think I am right here it was the last game we lost that season.

As for Graham Nash ,he was with the Hollies at the time
Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
50 years ago today Palace hosted Cardiff City who were currently second and in the final promotion place. Nearly 20000 crowd at Selhurst and I seem to recall it was very vocal that day. Palace started off very quickly and battered Cardiff. Goals from Tony Taylor, a cracker from Roger Hoy (I think this was the first game I recall the "He's here his there his every f#####g where, Roger Hoy, Roger Hoy" rolled off the terraces) a third goal from Colin Taylor sealed a big win as we moved into fifth place just 7 points behind Derby in top spot. Ahead we had two tough away games Derby in midweek then Birmingham the following Saturday. Our Chairman the legendary Arthur Wait thought if we could get two points from those two games we may have a chance.

The Cardiff win gave us the double over the Welshmen after our crushing win down there on the opening day of the season. Cardiff where a tough nut to crack, especially as they had an exciting young striker John Toshack scoring freely up front. We were really on a roll now and you had a feeling something special as going to happen.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 AM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Was at the game, Bobby Woodruff's strike was the only one of 5 we put in the Derby net that stood. IHMO two of the three the ref chalked out were good goals. In the end it was still a massive win for Palace.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
I remember that season well. Was about my eight season watching them. Woodruff was my hero that year, took throwing like corner kicks! My biggest regret was playing for chipstead on the first game the following season when palace had Man U at home. Never got to see charlton , law or best in person

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!