Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 06-03-2019, 05:46 AM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
Slightly off subject, by a few months,I was very surprised to hear that we beat the mighty Leeds Utd in the League Cup that season. Leeds won the League Championship THAT year! If you look at the Their side it was pretty much full strength. I don't recall it mentioned in famous Palace victory lists etc (though maybe I missed it) . Little us had never been in the top tier of course so I'd rate this a pretty bl*ody famous victory. Anyway, since I've got you here, couldn't resist, ,anyof you guys go? Any memories / thoughts to share?
Remember that game well! The Advertiser had great reporters in John Matthews and Dave McClelland. Here is a report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leeds 1968.jpg (1.43 MB, 23 views)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 AM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Great seeing those reports here is a Advertiser report of the Cardiff home game March 1969 by John Matthews a great reporter of Palace games in those days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cardiff 1969.jpg (1.18 MB, 25 views)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 AM

olly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks to all of you for the info on the Boro game
Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 AM
AWM V 42 124,125

Brummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is here
I wish you lot would stop saying "I remember" all I can remember is that I started going to see Palace this year

Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
Nope

Thanks good read after all these years, although both Millwall games that season have stuck in my mind these last 50 years. The 4-2 home win rates imho as one of the best games I have ever seen at Selhurst.
What a game. Think it was a Saturday night or a late kick off anyway remember the lights on for most of the game. We went 3-0 up before they pegged it back to 3-2. Even after all these years I can still visualise Bobby Woodruff striding up to smash in the 4th from a goal mouth scramble. It was an electric atmosphere from start to finish.

I have already posted my memories of our win at the Den that season.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Found the Palace Echo article on the 68/69 season mentioned earlier, Aug/Sept 2004, issue 62, pages 40-41.

Anyone have a copy - I don't have a scanner. Much that I'd forgotten - the league cup against Leeds gets a mention as there was a hail of nuts, bolts and screws thrown onto the pitch.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:32 PM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A few things I remember like it was yesterday, standing in the Holmesdale on the night of the Leeds game and that very sweet smell of tobacco from the pipe smokers filling the air. Being pelted with coins by Preston fans after the league match on Selhurst station platform. Alan Hodgkinson making an amazing save from David Payne in our one all draw with Sheffield United, and missing the League cup game because our car broke down on our way back from our holiday in Wales.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
Remember that game well! The Advertiser had great reporters in John Matthews and Dave McClelland. Here is a report
Thanks Tony, superb. I didn't even big Leeds up enough, they were the League Cup holders too when we beat them. I was always proud that we never lost to them at Selhurst in that first top flight spell but somehow didn't realise till very recently that we also did this just before.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:31 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
A précis of March-April 1969 will be in the Huddersfield programme - so many memories rekindled after 50 years. That's a lot of matches to cram into 600 or so words.

Re the Millwall home game - it seemed to me that Colin Taylor's shot had so much force that it took the Millwall keeper into the net with the ball.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:22 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Just the format/type set of those Croydon Advertiser reports brings back memories of the cuttings my Mum used to send me every week during the season when I first moved over here.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
What a game. Think it was a Saturday night or a late kick off anyway remember the lights on for most of the game. We went 3-0 up before they pegged it back to 3-2. Even after all these years I can still visualise Bobby Woodruff striding up to smash in the 4th from a goal mouth scramble. It was an electric atmosphere from start to finish.

I have already posted my memories of our win at the Den that season.
It was a mid-week game. And back then mid-week was always Wednesday with a 7.30 kick off. And as half-time was 10 minutes and refs played very little extra time, that meant that by 9.15 you'd be halfway down the Holmesdale Rd. The highlight of that Milwall game was Colin Taylors 30 yard belter into the Whitehorse goal - from a direct free kick.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:29 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Low View Post
The highlight of that Milwall game was Colin Taylors 30 yard belter into the Whitehorse goal - from a direct free kick.
Always a mystery to me, that after all of his cracking goals that season he was sold back to Walsall a couple of weeks into the following season.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:16 PM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
50 years ago today Saturday March 8th, Palace had a tough trip to St Andrews to face yet another promotion chasing team Birmingham City. Thanks to a strike from an acute angle by Steve Kember we came away with a hard fought 1-0 win to ensure three straight wins against promotion rivals and seemed to be on an unstoppable roll.
Other interesting facts from this week 50 years ago. Number 1 in the singles chart was “Where do you go to my Lovely” by Peter Sarstedt. Number 2 was (If Paradise is) Half as Nice, Amen Corner. The charts with also full of great Motown hits/classics such as “Heard it through the grapevine” Marvin Gaye and “I’ll pick a Rose for my Rose” Marv Johnson. Indeed the charts were full of lots of great “classics” which will bring back memories of the promotion run to those of us who lived that magical run of 16 unbeaten games.
If I remember correctly the latest “hit” in the Holmesdale song book was a take on the Mary Hopkin number 1 “Those were the days” which ended in a knees up surge down the terraces. Fantastic days to be a Palace fan on the Holmesdale (despite the temporary re location to the terraces/bank under the new roof of the growing Arthur Wait stand)

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane

Last edited by Percy Dalton; 08-03-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:29 PM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
50 years ago today Saturday March 8th, Palace had a tough trip to St Andrews to face yet another promotion chasing team Birmingham City.
I seem to recall a 16-year-old Trevor Francis turned out for Birmingham that day.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
50 years ago today Saturday March 8th, Palace had a tough trip to St Andrews to face yet another promotion chasing team Birmingham City. Thanks to a strike from an acute angle by Steve Kember we came away with a hard fought 1-0 win to ensure three straight wins against promotion rivals and seemed to be on an unstoppable roll.
Other interesting facts from this week 50 years ago. Number 1 in the singles chart was “Where do you go to my Lovely” by Peter Sarstedt. Number 2 was (If Paradise is) Half as Nice, Amen Corner. The charts with also full of great Motown hits/classics such as “Heard it through the grapevine” Marvin Gaye and “I’ll pick a Rose for my Rose” Marv Johnson. Indeed the charts were full of lots of great “classics” which will bring back memories of the promotion run to those of us who lived that magical run of 16 unbeaten games.
If I remember correctly the latest “hit” in the Holmesdale song book was a take on the Mary Hopkin number 1 “Those were the days” which ended in a knees up surge down the terraces. Fantastic days to be a Palace fan on the Holmesdale (despite the temporary re location to the terraces/bank under the new roof of the growing Arthur Wait stand)
I didn't go to many away games outside London in those days, but I do remember going to that one, and sitting with a friend & his Dad in the main stand filled with Brum supporters. When we scored I think we stood out like a sore thumb. No segregation in those days so I don't think our cheering went down too well
Great memories, and Steve Kember - what a player
Old 08-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Ockleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
To view the link you have to Register or LoginNewspaper picture of Steve Kember's goal at Birmingham City

Last edited by Ockleywood; 08-03-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 PM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Motown chart busters volume 3 was a must have LP back then.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:51 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Motown chart busters volume 3 was a must have LP back then.
Indeed I have Motown Chartbusters 1-6 all the original vinyl releases, along with a large collection of 45's and albums of Motown records. 60's music in general provided the perfect soundtrack to Palace's rise from 4th to 1st division and it is fitting that "Glad All Over" is still a huge part of the Palace experienece

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 10-03-2019, 09:28 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover View Post
I seem to recall a 16-year-old Trevor Francis turned out for Birmingham that day.
Sorry Granada not this game. Francis debut not until 1970-71 season and Palace did not meet Birmingham again until 26th August 1972.

This fixture (March 69) was one of my first away games. Felt I had to go after the Cardiff and Derby victories.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Millwall at Home:

My favourite Ref of all time.... Roger Kirkpatrick
Is it true that he went on to play Rumpole of the Bailey ?

To view the link you have to Register or Login