Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 23-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Morally devoid scum

danpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCPFC View Post
We've missed the boat on the best successors for Hodgson in my eyes, Potter and Wilder.

I really can't think of who I'd want to take over now, I've always thought Hughton would be a good fit here but it would seem like a step backwards.

We're in such a difficult position and we find ourselves at yet another crossroads. Hodgson's 442 philosophy when on song is unplayable and an absolute joy to watch. But you need top quality technicians like we did with Cabaye and RLC to execute real success with it. We probably need to revert to our old ways being more pragmatic with a limited budget.
Potter was the one. Infuriating that he ended up there as well
Old 23-08-2019, 04:03 PM

13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lombardi View Post
Our form after January was the 3rd best in the whole of the Premier League...

What did your mate's Dad make of that?
Well, over the course of the season, we were never in the relegation zone, but after week one were also never in top half...so he was right, wasn't he? Kept us up, but never threatened the top half.

I seem to have unintentionally hit a nerve here. I don't think Roy is a bad manager. I don't think we should get rid of him this instant or anything.

I do think we should replace him at the end of the season whether we are still in EPL or not. He's not a manager for a long term project. He has a ceiling, and we've seen it.

Of course we shouldn't sack him because of one game against SU - but it also isn't wrong to acknowledge that the SU game is what happens when Roy Hodgson tactics don't work.
Old 23-08-2019, 04:04 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodger View Post
Spot on. The next level is a myth you either spend massive or you stay in that low to mid table section where one bad season and your gone.
Yep. We have the 15th biggest ground in the league, no additional revenue to write home about and no Cat 1 academy. We're at about the highest realistic level we can achieve without putting the future of the club at risk again.

Werner Herzog
Old 23-08-2019, 04:06 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
I dont want taking to the next level thanks

I want some decent investment in the squad (if that means selling Wilf then fine, just get the fvck on with it) and I want players that give a shit and want to play for Palace. And a bit of entertainment once in a while. If we finish 14th then fine.

Much to ask after 7 seasons ?
Hey. For someone who's been expecting us to plunge through the trap door for the last 7 seasons, I would have thought you would be ecstatic just to still be here. How dare you ask for more!
Old 23-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thsasquatch View Post
Well, over the course of the season, we were never in the relegation zone, but after week one were also never in top half...so he was right, wasn't he? Kept us up, but never threatened the top half.

I seem to have unintentionally hit a nerve here. I don't think Roy is a bad manager. I don't think we should get rid of him this instant or anything.

I do think we should replace him at the end of the season whether we are still in EPL or not. He's not a manager for a long term project. He has a ceiling, and we've seen it.

Of course we shouldn't sack him because of one game against SU - but it also isn't wrong to acknowledge that the SU game is what happens when Roy Hodgson tactics don't work.
Sure - the worry is getting to the end of the season and having to sign a ton of players (because we haven't refreshed the squad over the last few) as well as bedding in a new manager. It will be exciting, but we are stacking the cards against ourselves. It would have been ideal to gradually bring in new players while Roy was still in place.
Old 23-08-2019, 04:28 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
True - but if we want a great one then we need to be qualifying regularly for the champions' league.
The last great manager we had was probably Terry Venables.
SSC
Old 23-08-2019, 04:30 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpalace07 View Post
Potter was the one. Infuriating that he ended up there as well
Totally agree, he’s the one i wanted to eventually replace Roy. Won’t happen now.
Old 23-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
SSC
Absolutely.
Maybe Snakey bollocks was better on a technical and tactical level, and I said maybe, but there's only one Steve Coppell.
Old 23-08-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
Absolutely.
Maybe Snakey bollocks was better on a technical and tactical level, and I said maybe, but there's only one Steve Coppell.
Ain’t that the truth .
Old 23-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I don’t suppose the OP would count SSC as a great manager, objectively, would he? I mean I live the guy, too, but he’s a cult great, not a universally acknowledged one.
Old 23-08-2019, 06:50 PM

nomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by st albans View Post
They've literally looked at the league table. 4 favourites are Bruce, Hodgson, lampard abd gracia.... Genius
I may be unpopular saying this but Parish and Freedman need to go and we need a manager who will nurture the academy players and play existing players in their correct position e.g. Max Meyer. Hodgson has done a good job keeping us up but we need a young manager from the lower leagues who can come in as Roy's understudy and then take over. Roy is 72 and imo is running out of ideas. Going back to Parish and Freedman, the last transfer window was a disaster and giving Connor Wickham a new contract with his injury record was ridiculous and now I hear we are likely to give that lazy t****er Benteke a new contract. What the f*** is going on?
Old 23-08-2019, 06:58 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCPFC View Post
We've missed the boat on the best successors for Hodgson in my eyes, Potter and Wilder.

I really can't think of who I'd want to take over now, I've always thought Hughton would be a good fit here but it would seem like a step backwards.

We're in such a difficult position and we find ourselves at yet another crossroads. Hodgson's 442 philosophy when on song is unplayable and an absolute joy to watch. But you need top quality technicians like we did with Cabaye and RLC to execute real success with it. We probably need to revert to our old ways being more pragmatic with a limited budget.
Let's see where the three of them are at the end of the season.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 23-08-2019, 07:02 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thsasquatch View Post
Just a reminder we were the only team Southampton beat under Hughes.

As I said, Roy is a good manager. But not a great one. We did well last season. But we might have done even better were he willing to change his system when the situation called for it. He isn't, so we didn't.

I really don't see why it is controversial to say Roy is a decent manager who has significant flaws that prevent him from ever being a great one.
So we get the highest points total in the Prem and you pick out one game.......
Old 23-08-2019, 07:05 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Let's see where the three of them are at the end of the season.
Yep all day long this.
Old 23-08-2019, 07:58 PM

Psych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Can you point to time where we changed a manger (clubs choice) and were not better off for it?

(Excluding the appointment of FDB, which was not the clubs choice as we didn't remove Allardyce)

Its hardly foolproof, but in our case it has worked pretty much every time

Warnock, second time round

Pardew, arguably took a very strong Pulis side and did well with it, then made it worse

Holloway, got us up (and I think is often not given enough credit for it) but was arguably worse than Freeman

FdB because it was still a shite decision
Old 23-08-2019, 08:09 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by st albans View Post
So we get the highest points total in the Prem and you pick out one game.......
Except he didn't mention the home form last season lol
Old 23-08-2019, 08:23 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
True - but if we want a great one then we need to be qualifying regularly for the champions' league.
The last great manager we had was probably Terry Venables.
The one with team of the 80s or the charlatan that fleeced Goldberg and was a major factor in administration. Just wondered what was meant by great manager.
Old 23-08-2019, 08:26 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
I don’t suppose the OP would count SSC as a great manager, objectively, would he? I mean I live the guy, too, but he’s a cult great, not a universally acknowledged one.
Really? He took Crystal Palace to 3rd in the top flight. Someone will need to ‘do a Leicester’ to eclipse what he achieved. Just a shame due to the bin dippers he was denied a chance in Europe.
Old 23-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
The one with team of the 80s or the charlatan that fleeced Goldberg and was a major factor in administration. Just wondered what was meant by great manager.
I am a little older than you, I remember him playing for us. But yes, I mean the one who took us to two promotions, QPR to the Cup Final, won the League with Barça and got them to a european cup final, and England to within a whisker of the european nations cup final. That guy.
Old 23-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
Warnock, second time round

Pardew, arguably took a very strong Pulis side and did well with it, then made it worse

Holloway, got us up (and I think is often not given enough credit for it) but was arguably worse than Freeman

FdB because it was still a shite decision
Warnock was after Pulis, not a decision the club made

Pardew was far better than Warnock, at least for 12 months, it then fell apart

Holloway was appointed after Dougie walked, again not the clubs choice