Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-11-2004, 05:51 PM

ammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for you
What hospital?
Where in Dublin?
Old 25-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Re: andy barnes

Quote:
Originally posted by nottsunieagle
my dad repeatedly tells me that the best player he ever saw in a palace shirt was a bloke called andy barnes.
Your dad's name wouldn't happen to be Andy Barnes would it?
Old 26-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by cdselhurst79
he is now a psychiatric nurse and is living in dublin with his girlfriend
Is her name Anne by any chance?

Eh eh eh!
Old 26-11-2004, 11:18 AM

honeysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
The saddest debut of all and one of the shortest was probably that of Andy Barnes who came off the bench on the last day of the season for a game against Q P R over at the Bush(we lost 1-0). Poor lad looked out of his depth and didn't make it to the end of the match as Coppell substituted him.

I saw his distraught face as he went down the tunnel pursued by his mate John Salako. They'd been together in America getting their legs fixed after a cruciate injury.

Andy never did play for the first team again.
Old 26-11-2004, 11:27 AM

Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Merton Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally posted by Baron Greenback
Blimey, I didn't realise that Mr (Peter??) Barnes was Andy Barnes' brother. He was my PE teacher at Riddlesdown, and you're right - he was a total poser.
His name was Phil Barnes. He was my football coach at school and Palace. Knew his football. He also used to eye up girls during PE. While in the minibus there was chat re: fit girls in our year. Damn good at cricket as well. Batted for Purley. zzzzz, I know.
Old 26-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Cherries' Grotto Drinker

nottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenottsunieagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: Re: andy barnes

Quote:
Originally posted by Boyandy
Your dad's name wouldn't happen to be Andy Barnes would it?
it certainly is not!

http://www.justgiving.com/allan-williams3
Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM

souwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaroni
I met Andy today. Nice guy, spoke briefly about his (brief) Palace career, injuries, loan to Carlisle etc - fell out of love with the game somewhat after he had to pack it in.
Old 28-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Palace since 1970

Gazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He signed for Palace in Sept 91 for 70,000.
Clearly thought of by Coppell as a prospect.
Scored on his reserves debut away at Arsenal in a 5-1 romp. ( Other scorers were Collymore (2), Rodger, Brazier.)
Got injured in that first game.
Came back and had a couple more reserve games towards the end of the season in April 92 and his 1st team debut.
The following season he did play in the reserves a bit, making around a dozen appearances and scoring 5 goals. I think he may have had a re-occurrence of his injury.
Went on loan to Carlisle in Jan 94 after 1 reserve game for Palace but got injured again.
Had to retire from injury in June 94.
Palace had him as a pro on their books for nearly three years so I think they gave him every chance. However, it was clearly a bad injury which he never really got over. Very unlucky indeed and I remember vividly like it was yesterday!
Others Coppell signed from non-league at the time who also didn't quite make it at Palace under Smith were Martin O'Connor and Stuart Massey. Two that did were Stan Collymore and Bobby Bowry.
Old 28-05-2008, 05:49 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
He used to work in a special needs home in Purley, lovely bloke.
Old 28-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Dal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I can confirm, as stated by a previous poster, that he used to turn out for Hurstpierpoint FC in Sussex. My Dad knew him from there.

"You won't be listening anyway - you'll be picking your bum or listening to Pulp...'

"Use a plate! I've hoovered in here today, you cock!"

"Don't be a Gay all your life!"

"Does that mean our children will have monkey's skulls?"

"I don't want to inhale your urine!"

"Have you farted into a sponge or something?"

"You absolute pretentious ballsack!"

"You're a hairy, gay, Special Needs tramp!"

"Oh Google your own fat, flabby arse!"
Old 28-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Gazpacho

Others Coppell signed from non-league at the time who also didn't quite make it at Palace under Smith were Martin O'Connor and Stuart Massey. Two that did were Stan Collymore and Bobby Bowry.
A pedant writes - Collymore didn't make it at Palace under Smith. He left before Smith took over.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 28-05-2008, 10:01 PM

souwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaronisouwickham is the cheese to my macaroni
Quote:
Originally posted by Gazpacho
Clearly thought of by Coppell as a prospect.
Scored on his reserves debut away at Arsenal in a 5-1 romp. ( Other scorers were Collymore (2), Rodger, Brazier.)
Got injured in that first game.
Came back and had a couple more reserve games towards the end of the season in April 92 and his 1st team debut.
The following season he did play in the reserves a bit, making around a dozen appearances and scoring 5 goals. I think he may have had a re-occurrence of his injury.
Went on loan to Carlisle in Jan 94 after 1 reserve game for Palace but got injured again.
Had to retire from injury in June 94.
Palace had him as a pro on their books for nearly three years so I think they gave him every chance. However, it was clearly a bad injury which he never really got over. Very unlucky indeed and I remember vividly like it was yesterday!
Yes Andy was very unlucky - still seemed upset about it all to me.
Old 31-05-2008, 06:12 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ammiller
He used to drink with another reserve at the time called John Budden.
One of the nicest and funniest guys you could ever meet. Also very bright, Coppell suggested that he get himself a degree. Now a school teacher.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
drinking somewhere

butch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittensbutch03 - warm woollen mittens
Quote:
Originally posted by stevek
Rings a bell. I think it was around the same time as Salako did his ligaments.
that was right they both had the operation about a week apart
Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palace_burger
One of the nicest and funniest guys you could ever meet. Also very bright, Coppell suggested that he get himself a degree. Now a school teacher.
He is a senior care co-ordinator for an organisation that provides "better living" for people with disabilities.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Gladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGladys Allover : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My favourite personal football moment was turning out for Old Josephians 2nds as a favour for a mate who was short and as we were getting changed Andy Barnes comes in, sits down and gets changed with us. It hadn't been that long ago that we were chanting his name as he warmed up at Old Trafford! Won 2-1, i got the first and he got the winner!
Old 17-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Burbs Palace

Typical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Very sad for Barnes.

Maybe we should think about how fragile a footballers life can be while we're berating them either at the game or on here. Hold that thought. Maybe that counts for footballers then. As for now, they make so much cash, and'll be insured.
Old 23-04-2013, 10:14 AM

honeysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoneysuckle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
I was at the game against QPR where he featured. Clearly upset at being substituted he headed off straight done the tunnel to the dressing room pursued by John Salako who was trying to consol him.

Somewhere in the loft is a football programme with Barnes and Salako featured on the cover with their injured legs in plaster.
Old 23-04-2013, 10:32 AM

kestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazpacho
Stuart was in the same Sunday league under 11 team as me. I was surprised when Palace signed him as he didn't really stand out at the time.
Old 23-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestoneagle
Stuart was in the same Sunday league under 11 team as me. I was surprised when Palace signed him as he didn't really stand out at the time.
At eleven its all about potential, intelligence, determination (by player and parents) and above all good coaching. I've seen children who were excellent at eleven but who failed to work on their skills and were not coached well so that by the time they were fourteen they were average.

Massey was good enough to play 100 plus games for Oxford at a time when they were in the Championship. In fact didn't he score against us at Selhurst on his return?