Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 17-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Kipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesmad123 View Post
When islamic terrorists blew up christian churches why was this not even front page news. No main stream coverage on sky or bbc. It happens often but the british press give it little coverage.
Because ultimately, they're foreigns and browns blown up in some "shithole", as termed by many a BBS'r inclined towards your spectrum of beliefs.

This here event happened in the "civilised" world, so it has a higher rank and status.

Let's not pretend that some people only give a shit about these Christians because they're the victims of what you'd call Islamic terrorism.

As soon as they'd land in the UK, they'd be accused of draining resources and being invaders, and their faith demeaned and being referred to as idiots and weak for believing in God.
Old 17-03-2019, 08:35 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wtf

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
Big Member

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
When islamic terrorists blew up christian churches why was this not even front page news. No main stream coverage on sky or bbc. It happens often but the british press give it little coverage.
There have been terrible incidents indeed. I still have a couple of friends in Nigeria who have been caught up in some of the violence over the years.

Not sure what that has to do with this tragedy nor the wider issue of increased hostility to Muslims, the role of SM and the bile and abuse becoming part of mainstream commentary.

The coverage of events is a separate topic. A hurricane confined to Haiti and Cuba, receives less than if it touches the wealthier homes in Florida. An attack in a market in France, received more headlines than 10 times the toll of an explosion in Kabul.

The humanity shown by many communities and the dignity of the bereaved in Christchurch and beyond, is the only saving grace of this awful event.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Oct. 31, 2010: Al-Qaida in Iraq militants attack Our Lady of Salvation Catholic Church in Baghdad during Sunday night mass, killing 58 people in the deadliest assault targeting Christians since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion there. Al-Qaida in Iraq later became the Islamic State group

Dec. 11, 2016: Suicide bomber strikes inside a Cairo chapel adjacent to St. Mark's Cathedral, seat of Egypt's ancient Coptic Orthodox Church. The Islamic State group claimed the attack, which killed at least 25 people.

April 9, 2017: Twin suicide bombings rock churches in the Egyptian coastal city of Alexandria and Tanta, killing at least 45 people. The attack was claimed by the Islamic State group.

Dec. 17, 2017: Islamic State attack on a church in Pakistani city of Quetta kills 16 people.

Jan. 27, 2019: Two suicide attackers detonate two bombs during a Mass in a Roman Catholic cathedral on the largely Muslim island of Jolo in the southern Philippines, killing 23 and wounding about 100 others. Three days later, an attacker hurls a grenade in a mosque in nearby Zamboanga city, killing two religious teachers
Whilst I do agree these incidents didn't get the same level of coverage I remember reading about most of the on the guardian world and bb c pages. They're rightly or wrongly deemed less newsworthy because of where they happened and the level of English speaking news coverage available.

News is a business and these kind of stories have limited appeal to the target audience. Something in ND is much easier recover and utilise local news resources to report on. Lots of stories in Iraq and Syria get low coverage simply because follow up and direct journalist coverage is too dangerous.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
That's all terrible and we basically know our press reports more on what happens in the western world when this sort of atrocity happens because it's closer to home..... What point are you trying to make ?

Are you trying to diminish the massacre in NZ because it has happened elsewhere?
Quite.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
It could've been bleach acid or anything... but it wasn't. It was an egg and the vile man knew it when he turned around and punched him. Meanwhile, leader of the NZ Green Party James Shaw was To view the link you have to Register or Login on his way to work. The right is galvanised to violence by trolls and fearmongering politicians - the left throw eggs and To view the link you have to Register or Login. Big difference. Huge.
Saw all the Christchurch schools came out and marked their respects with a Haka. I remember you posting a video of your school doing one a few years ago. I understand its basically a war dance, so how come it gets used it these kind of events as well?

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
A source of real news

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
………...
News is a business and these kind of stories have limited appeal to the target audience. Something in ND is much easier recover and utilise local news resources to report on. Lots of stories in Iraq and Syria get low coverage simply because follow up and direct journalist coverage is too dangerous.
I occasionally watch Al-jazeera, it has a different profile of news. Its worth having a look now and again.

Calm down ladies, we'll be fine on our own.
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
Saw all the Christchurch schools came out and marked their respects with a Haka. I remember you posting a video of your school doing one a few years ago. I understand its basically a war dance, so how come it gets used it these kind of events as well?
Isn't the Haka used for many things other than just a war dance ?

It's used to welcome people,ceremonies of acknowledgment and funerals.

Oh it could also be used as an act of defiance that they will not accept what this animal stood for and will fight against such inhumanity.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
I was always told that it was about celebrating life.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Class Swot.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign (satire)
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
Isn't the Haka used for many things other than just a war dance ?

It's used to welcome people,ceremonies of acknowledgment and funerals.

Oh it could also be used as an act of defiance that they will not accept what this animal stood for and will fight against such inhumanity.
All true Les.

First, I should point out that I'm not a Maori and, if you want to understand haka, you really should talk to someone who is. Having said that, I think one of the more pervasive and dreadful myths about haka is that it is a war dance.

Saying the haka is a war dance is like saying the Bible is a story book. It's an incredibly limited interpretation that ignores its massive symbolic and cultural importance. I don't wish to criticise anyone on here for having that misinterpretation, as it is often fed to you by nominally reliable sources. (I notice that literally while I was typing this, the BBC changed their description of it from "war dance" to "traditional dance.") I will, however, note that some people, for less than honest agendas, continue to peddle it - like certain British rugby journalists who, despite frequently associating with Maori and non-Maori New Zealanders and therefore undoubtedly having been told otherwise, insist on presenting it as a sort of pre-game cheating.

I tend to say that haka is a challenge and an honour - it both asks and answers the question, "Are you worthy?"

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
I also understand it to be a challenge, as you say “are you worthy?”.

First time I ever saw it described as a ‘celebration of life’ was on google, today.

Never, ever was it described thus when I’ve visited NZ.

Whatever it is supposed to mean, today it was completely appropriate and a powerful image.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
All true Les.

First, I should point out that I'm not a Maori and, if you want to understand haka, you really should talk to someone who is. Having said that, I think one of the more pervasive and dreadful myths about haka is that it is a war dance.

Saying the haka is a war dance is like saying the Bible is a story book. It's an incredibly limited interpretation that ignores its massive symbolic and cultural importance. I don't wish to criticise anyone on here for having that misinterpretation, as it is often fed to you by nominally reliable sources. (I notice that literally while I was typing this, the BBC changed their description of it from "war dance" to "traditional dance.") I will, however, note that some people, for less than honest agendas, continue to peddle it - like certain British rugby journalists who, despite frequently associating with Maori and non-Maori New Zealanders and therefore undoubtedly having been told otherwise, insist on presenting it as a sort of pre-game cheating.

I tend to say that haka is a challenge and an honour - it both asks and answers the question, "Are you worthy?"
Thanks Hugh that is a great explanation that is easily understood and as Blind said is completely appropriate.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
The Haka is a wonderful expression of identity isn’t it.

It can be performed at a variety of events, from funerals to school events. We’ve come to associate it with a challenge possibly because we think of the All Blacks and rugby. But it’s much more than that.

I see the NZ PM came straight out and promised gun reform. I wish her every success with this, and what a change to hear a PM show her determination, rather than the weak soon forgotten comments you get from Trump.
Old Today, 12:04 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
The Haka is a wonderful expression of identity isn’t it.

It can be performed at a variety of events, from funerals to school events. We’ve come to associate it with a challenge possibly because we think of the All Blacks and rugby. But it’s much more than that.

I see the NZ PM came straight out and promised gun reform. I wish her every success with this, and what a change to hear a PM show her determination, rather than the weak soon forgotten comments you get from Trump.
I suspect like many of us, I know next to nothing about the PM of NZ, but wow she has come across so well and her response to this event has been unifying and exemplary