Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 15-01-2022, 10:34 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
The issue with that, and I don’t necessarily disagree with your main point, is that if every voter like me who wanted to do everything possible to keep Corbyn out, would have spoilt their paper, it’s likely Corbyn would now be PM.

I don’t view me voting Tory to keep Corbyn out being any different to those who ‘held their nose’ voting for Corbyn.

Had there been a decent Labour leader in play (Starmer even, as an example), then I wouldn’t have felt the need to vote Tory, maybe would have even voted Labour (manifesto dependent).

It’s really as simple as that.
I was heavily coming from the idealist perspective in my post and obviously that does not take into account the reality of the electorate knowing that only one of two parties will triumph and if that happens with a majority, checks and balances can go out the window and we are in affect left powerless to stop the idiocy of certain policies being implemented.

When the leaders of those two parties are awful it is understandable that there is a hold your nose while putting your 'X' in the box mentality.

What being faced with Johnson or Corbyn has proved is that a voting system solely dependant on FPTP to elect our representatives is highly flawed.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 15-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
I was heavily coming from the idealist perspective in my post and obviously that does not take into account the reality of the electorate knowing that only two parties will triumph and if that happens with a majority, checks and balances can go out the window and we are in affect left powerless to stop the idiocy of certain policies being implemented.

When the leaders of those two parties are awful it is understandable that there is a hold your nose while putting your 'X' in the box mentality.

What being faced with Johnson or Corbyn has proved is that a voting system solely dependant on FPTP to elect our representatives is highly flawed.
Certainly donít disagree with that.
Old 15-01-2022, 11:00 AM

Hong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHong Kong Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
Yep. Johnson is going to survive all of this for that very reason.
Hoisted by his own petard

When it becomes personal you know you have won
:)
Old 15-01-2022, 11:02 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
This was epitomised last night when Newsnight did some street interviews in the constituency of a Tory MP apologist for Johnson (the guy with the blonde wig, I can't remember his name). Most stopped in the street were disgusted with Johnson, but they came across a couple, a 40 year old or so man, who claimed that Johnson had "saved" him, but he didn't elaborate how. Then next to him was this woman who may have been his mum, looked a bit of a rough diamond, and said she had never voted before until the last election, and thought Johnson was a great friendly bloke, and just like she was (presumably fallible and flawed), implying not the usual politician.
Fabr*****?
Old 15-01-2022, 11:17 AM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
This was epitomised last night when Newsnight did some street interviews in the constituency of a Tory MP apologist for Johnson (the guy with the blonde wig, I can't remember his name). Most stopped in the street were disgusted with Johnson, but they came across a couple, a 40 year old or so man, who claimed that Johnson had "saved" him, but he didn't elaborate how. Then next to him was this woman who may have been his mum, looked a bit of a rough diamond, and said she had never voted before until the last election, and thought Johnson was a great friendly bloke, and just like she was (presumably fallible and flawed), implying not the usual politician.
What this describes is the problem all politicians face to some extent, you have to be relatable and statesmanlike all at the same time. Some people want one and some people want the other. And that’s often before you get close to policies.

Johnson doesn’t try statesmanlike at all, because he cannot, but he does do relatable for clearly enough people to win in 2019 and in London (twice)
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 15-01-2022, 11:25 AM

13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet13thsasquatch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
What this describes is the problem all politicians face to some extent, you have to be relatable and statesmanlike all at the same time. Some people want one and some people want the other. And that’s often before you get close to policies.

Johnson doesn’t try statesmanlike at all, because he cannot, but he does do relatable for clearly enough people to win in 2019 and in London (twice)
I think he has that private school manner of carrying himself and speaking with such supreme confidence that he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, that makes him seem statesmanlike for long enough to fool a sufficient number of people. The problem (from his point of view) is that sooner or later enough people realise there's no substance behind the big words and the Latin asides.
Old 15-01-2022, 11:53 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
I’m finding all this rewriting of history a little bit tedious. Yiou know what I mean, the whole “I wasn’t a happy Tory voter; I only voted for Johnson to keep Corbyn out” schtick.

So let’s remind ourselves what people said before Johnson was on the ropes. E.g. ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Apologist ?

Nah. Voted for them with a smile on my face mate.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 15-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-exile View Post
...and I was shocked to discover a large number of people in my garden drinking after I had invited them to drink in my garden, although I cannot recall if I was there..

Saw it on Facebook..

Bloody Matt Lucas gets everywhere!
Old 15-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Old 15-01-2022, 12:08 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
One more

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 15-01-2022, 12:09 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thsasquatch View Post
I think he has that private school manner of carrying himself and speaking with such supreme confidence that he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, that makes him seem statesmanlike for long enough to fool a sufficient number of people. The problem (from his point of view) is that sooner or later enough people realise there's no substance behind the big words and the Latin asides.
Private school confidence is more Cameron, Johnson is simply supreme bluster. Along the lines of I believe this impossible thing will happen so much it will happpen.

Iíve worked in industries oversupplied with private school types for ever and you get Cameron types all the time, full on Johnson types are properly rare because in the real world they are found out an exposed early on. The only industries they succeed in is ones that are predicated on bullshit. Politics, journalism etc.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 15-01-2022, 12:56 PM

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I’m finding all this rewriting of history a little bit tedious. Yiou know what I mean, the whole “I wasn’t a happy Tory voter; I only voted for Johnson to keep Corbyn out” schtick.

So let’s remind ourselves what people said before Johnson was on the ropes. E.g. ;
Yes. And?

It kept Corbyn out of No 10, which was my one objective. So absolutely it put a smile on my face. Just as it would have put a smile on Corbyn voters faces that ‘held their nose’ if he’d have won. So what?

And btw way, you’ve got to be extremely sad to go trawling for a post made 2 years or so ago on a Saturday morning. To think how irrelevant the post is as well.

Silly Billy

Last edited by Worksop Palace; 15-01-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old 15-01-2022, 01:01 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
A fridge too far?

Old 15-01-2022, 01:13 PM

I think the damage is done and the killing blow will come from his own party, not the scummy DM
Old 15-01-2022, 01:13 PM
Bog Whoppit

Fen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFen Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Rather have a piss up Boris than a prick like Stammer and his deputy who does a blinding impression of John Bishop.
Old 15-01-2022, 01:49 PM

Little Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is hereLittle Matt Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen Eagle View Post
Rather have a piss up Boris than a prick like Stammer and his deputy who does a blinding impression of John Bishop.
It's insights like this which keep me coming back to the Politics forum.
Old 15-01-2022, 01:52 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Matt View Post
It's insights like this which keep me coming back to the Politics forum.

Breathin deep, breathin easy...

Didnít vote for a Brexit.
Old 15-01-2022, 01:54 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
No hope for some
Old 15-01-2022, 01:55 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Like Worksop, Little Al was also a happy Tory voter (although at least he has the integrity to admit to it, rather than hiding behind the 'stop Corbyn' nonsense) ; but he has gone strangely silent. Hope he's OK.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 15-01-2022, 01:59 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Have to ask. Are you a Turkey who likes Christmas? Johnson is without doubt the worst PM this country has ever had.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018