Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 14-01-2022, 03:51 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Generally no.

Generally no. If however I have to weigh up the likelihood and probability it kind of goes along the lines of which is more likely to cause a pandemic? What is the most probable source? A) a lab leak or B) nature

We haven’t had a lab leaked pandemic before but nature is responsible for lots of pandemics and billions of viruses.

Which is more likely to cause a corona virus pandemic? A) a lab investigating corona viruses or B) nature in an area where there are a lot of natural corona viruses and one mutated as they have done in the past.

I’m a B on both questions. There are labs in western Africa investigating Ebola. Why has no one pointed to the labs there?

I was very open as to how it first started, a Animal to human transfer seemed possible as has happened in the past or it could have been accidentally released from a lab. Indeed the UK's security services have deemed that it is a feasible option.

Then comes the behaviour of China, resisting all attempts from international organisations to investigate the matter - why? When the WHO finally get people into China they do not have free access, their trip is disrupted and they struggle to get answers - why? Then the WHO suggest that a second stage of the investigation should take place and it should look at local labs and China rejects any further investigation - why?

They say actions speak louder than words and the actions of China are at best those of a nation not interested in co-operating globally and at worst are that of a country undertaking a huge cover-up, with several options inbetween.
Old 14-01-2022, 03:53 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1eagle View Post
I don't really see that determining the origin of Covid gets us anywhere.

Could it plausibly have transferred from animals? Yes.
Could it plausibly have been a lab leak? Yes.
Does it help us to combat COVID if we know which? No.

Suppose it was proven beyond all doubt to be a lab leak, then what?

Would China admit it? No.
Is China going to pay reparations to the world? No.
Are we going to go to war with China? No. (Unless we're insane)
Is China going to overhaul its lab procedures any more than it would already? No.
Is hatred and anti-Chinese sentiment going to increase? Yes.
Is the world going to be better off as a result? No.

They wouldn't have to. Countries would just cancel existing debt owed to China. Not something that would work by a single country but if the rest of the world said 'forget what we owe you' China would be ****ed.
Old 14-01-2022, 03:57 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
In any case, I'm not sure 'China wouldn't admit it anyway' is a good reason not to find out the origin. Surely understanding the origin of the virus is important and will give lessons to be learnt to prevent or handle future pandemics?

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 14-01-2022, 04:05 PM

Norwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipw View Post
Fair enough - not been there but are these areas as densely populated as the big Uk cities? I always thought that even the properties in the Greater Sydney area were more spaced out than London, but happy to be corrected if wrong.
Greater Sydney has a population of 5,367,139 in a square area of 12,368sq km
Greater Melbourne has a population of 5,078,000 in a square area of 9,992sq km
Greater Brisbane has a population of 2,560,720 in a square area of 15,842sq km

Greater London has a population of 8,908,000 in a square area of 1,569sq km
Birmingham Metropolitan area has a population of 1,200,000 in a square are of 600sq km

In short Australian cities and metropolitan areas are a lot more spread out than UK Cities.

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 14-01-2022, 04:12 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is hereVendy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
In any case, I'm not sure 'China wouldn't admit it anyway' is a good reason not to find out the origin. Surely understanding the origin of the virus is important and will give lessons to be learnt to prevent or handle future pandemics?
Or more importantly tighter control on how secure these bio labs are on a world wide basis.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 14-01-2022, 04:19 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendy View Post
Or more importantly tighter control on how secure these bio labs are on a world wide basis.

Indeed - that's what I meant about prevention.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 14-01-2022, 05:01 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
They wouldn't have to. Countries would just cancel existing debt owed to China. Not something that would work by a single country but if the rest of the world said 'forget what we owe you' China would be ****ed.
And you think that would be a good thing?
Old 14-01-2022, 05:04 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
What lessons would we learn? China would need to admit it and provide a full root cause analysis that the rest of the world could learn from - is that really likely?

I think any potential benefits of being able to pin the outbreak on China would be far, far outweighed by the incredible risk to world security that such a discovery would bring
Old 14-01-2022, 08:26 PM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hospital discharge to care homes becoming a major issue. I think around 90% of all homes are in ‘outbreak’ (defined as 2+ covid cases). This precludes admissions unless arms are twisted with the local authority. The only positive is it means that number of covid patients in hospital is therefore artificially/temporarily overstated.

Old 16-01-2022, 08:09 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Totally this.

One week after anyone on here had even heard of this virus, the relevant American scientists were already communicating with each other that they couldn’t see how this developed nature and could very much see how the lab could produce it. They then decided to feed to the media that such thinking is a conspiracy theory.

In my mind that is a cover up and quite frankly I’m surprised BBS’ers think being lied to about this is absolutely fine and the right thing to do.
Old 16-01-2022, 08:25 AM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Um. And when they wanted to borrow again? Removing China as a lender from the world debt market is probably not the greatest idea
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 16-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Hospital discharge to care homes becoming a major issue. I think around 90% of all homes are in ‘outbreak’ (defined as 2+ covid cases). This precludes admissions unless arms are twisted with the local authority. The only positive is it means that number of covid patients in hospital is therefore artificially/temporarily overstated.

Add lack of care staff in to the mix as well
Old 16-01-2022, 08:54 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Fair enough - not been there but are these areas as densely populated as the big Uk cities? I always thought that even the properties in the Greater Sydney area were more spaced out than London, but happy to be corrected if wrong.
I think the more relevant issue is around unavoidable transport routes hence why Belgium, north eastern France, SE England and the Czech/ German border have had such high case numbers. South Essex and also the A2 corridor are packed with crowded parcel, food distribution, spare parts and retailer warehouses that stayed open whilst millions of others were isolating. Hard to avoid contagion with staff in crowded conditions and lorries coming every day from multiple destinations.
Old 16-01-2022, 08:58 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Mrs NKE was called in this morning on her day off to do a 12 hour additional shift in a care home. The government really must find a way to ensure those staff (who have been amongst the biggest heroes of the pandemic) are rewarded properly. As others far more highly paid fled their workplaces at the start of the pandemic they stood their ground and carried on working.
Old 16-01-2022, 04:18 PM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Add lack of care staff in to the mix as well
yep, still a problem, albeit getting slightly better. Around 10% staff absence of which just over half covid
Old 16-01-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Mrs NKE was called in this morning on her day off to do a 12 hour additional shift in a care home. The government really must find a way to ensure those staff (who have been amongst the biggest heroes of the pandemic) are rewarded properly. As others far more highly paid fled their workplaces at the start of the pandemic they stood their ground and carried on working.
Totally agree. The key problem is the amount that local authorities pay for care. On average around £600 per week, i.e. £85 per day. And remember is for 24 hour care (carers and nurses), full board, single room (mostly ensuite), excursions, activities and all the business support functions. Those who self pay effectively end up subsidising the local authority residents. There is an argument that the pure private operators could pay a higher rate to their staff (they already pay a higher rate than local authority homes) but there aren't that many of them - and it would put even more pressure on local authority home resourcing as they would struggle to compete. On a positive note, there are signs that things are changing, ie higher rates and higher wages - but, imo, some local authorities (particularly in some London boroughs and North East England) wont be able to stop themselves from insisting on uneconomic prices.

Last edited by Philipw; 16-01-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 16-01-2022, 04:41 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
^^^^
Old 16-01-2022, 08:39 PM

Malaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMalaga Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Well done madam, Mrs NKE, I salute you
Old 16-01-2022, 08:43 PM

She’s just got home and now has to put up with my cooking.
Old 16-01-2022, 09:29 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
She’s just got home and now has to put up with my cooking.

Hats off to Mrs NKE and all the other underpaid care home staff… absolute heroes