Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 19-02-2007, 11:20 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
I use TextEdit, but if someone sends me a Word doc i can open it and read it fine. I use Word on the iMac which is still running OS9.
Old 19-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
I got a Macbook in December for my new job. I was using Neo Office for a while but when doing spreadsheets it would get some basic sums really quite wrong so I got Office student/ teacher mac edition for 80 quid and works a treat.
Old 19-02-2007, 11:51 AM
You fill me with inertia

James Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bag
Reasons to buy a Mac

#1 - Al from Bromley uses one.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Reasons to buy a Mac

2- Upset James
Old 19-02-2007, 12:32 PM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
I still dont get it, the hardware is all the same. Only the OS is different. Vista with Aero looks like a flippin Mac OS anyway. Only high end gaming rigs require a PC nowadays. Melody is into high end gaming.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
Originally posted by paf
I still dont get it, the hardware is all the same. Only the OS is different.
Not quite. The hardware is closer to that of higher-end PC makers (ie: not the real cheap stuff) and that has a big impact on stability. There's also small but significant things such as two-finger scrolling, the web cam integration, the magnetic connect for laptop power cables and slot loading drives. By themselves those hardware features are not an over-riding reason but they show a level of attention to detail which reflects what's in the rest of the machine.

Quote:
Vista with Aero looks like a flippin Mac OS anyway.
Looks like != works like.

The best Elvis impersonator is still not Elvis.

Windows is made by people who understand computers. Macs are made by people who understand people. Depending on how your brain is wired you can see that as no difference or a massive difference.
Old 19-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Men At Work
Not quite. The hardware is closer to that of higher-end PC makers (ie: not the real cheap stuff) and that has a big impact on stability. There's also small but significant things such as two-finger scrolling, the web cam integration, the magnetic connect for laptop power cables and slot loading drives. By themselves those hardware features are not an over-riding reason but they show a level of attention to detail which reflects what's in the rest of the machine.

Looks like != works like.

The best Elvis impersonator is still not Elvis.

Windows is made by people who understand computers. Macs are made by people who understand people. Depending on how your brain is wired you can see that as no difference or a massive difference.
a webcam makes the hardware 'different' - gee mister - does that mean my Vaio is different from my dell ?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 19-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
a webcam makes the hardware 'different' - gee mister - does that mean my Vaio is different from my dell ?

[/url]
Corse it is. Which of the two machines do you prefer and why? If you look at any PC, after you have done the CPU, disk size, mem thing. You'll start to look at the other attributes of the machine. So, OS aside, Apple still has some great hardware differentiators.

Cant stand the two fingered scrolling BTW

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 19-02-2007, 01:57 PM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
Originally posted by Isle of Wight
Corse it is. Which of the two machines do you prefer and why? If you look at any PC, after you have done the CPU, disk size, mem thing. You'll start to look at the other attributes of the machine.
No, I wont. I want to know how fast it is. Full stop. I have loads of hardware gizmos on my machine that I have never or will ever use. Array microphones, e-sata sockets, 7 channel DTS sound, wifi. I dont care if it's silver with a rotating desktop, I want the best power per available for computing.
Old 19-02-2007, 02:28 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by paf
No, I wont. I want to know how fast it is. Full stop. I have loads of hardware gizmos on my machine that I have never or will ever use. Array microphones, e-sata sockets, 7 channel DTS sound, wifi. I dont care if it's silver with a rotating desktop, I want the best power per � available for computing.
Do you build your own? That must be the best way. Just the fastest CPU as much memory as you can afford and a hard drive. If you didn't why not? Best performance per £ that way.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 19-02-2007, 02:33 PM
snootchie bootchies

yeah, I build my own, no brainer, if you can build lego, you can build a PC.
Old 19-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Building is now more expensive IMVHO
Old 19-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paf
yeah, I build my own, no brainer, if you can build lego, you can build a PC.
Yeah but its after you have had them a while it all goes wrong
My desk top PC is held together by software sellotape and the laptop is starting to do the same. However my Mac mini is still running as sweetly as the day I bought it.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 19-02-2007, 04:01 PM
snootchie bootchies

Quote:
Is at the lower end of the scale, ebuyer have 200 quid base units fit for everything bar gaming. But at the upper end of the market it works out a similar price, but you get better components, the core2duo's have moved the goalposts in terms of overclocking, I'd be gutted to get an off the shelf machine only to find the motherboard and ram wont play ball (and plenty wont).
Old 19-02-2007, 04:12 PM
You fill me with inertia

James Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bag
Quote:
However my Mac mini is still running as sweetly as the day I bought it.
How easy is it to upgrade anything with your Mac Mini?
Old 19-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by James Melody
How easy is it to upgrade anything with your Mac Mini?
Apart from Ram its not. However I can't do any upgrades to my laptop either. I could my desk top, but by the time you replace the motherboard and disks you may as well buy a new one.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 19-02-2007, 04:37 PM
snootchie bootchies

Quote:
but by the time you replace the motherboard and disks you may as well buy a new one.
not really no, if you think ahead. I still have an old xp3200 and a gig of dual channel ddr which have lived on various boards and are about to move onto yet another when I get round to building a cube thingy. I love canibalising old bits. As mentioned previously, Triggers Broom.
Old 19-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Oh another thing on the PC vrs Mac debate. When my desktop goes on (even though I have a "soundproof" case) I still find the noise distracting, whereas the MAC is nearly silent. However the internet performance is a lot faster on the PC, as its USB Wireless connection seems to perform much better. (36ft and two walls from the router)

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 19-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Structural Member

Ecalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego way
Quote:
Now that Vista is 300plus I suppose it is (which is a big mistake in Apple vs Microsoft), but providing you carry over part of your old system it certainly used to be much cheaper.

Macs are beautifully designed but it's Apple's way or nothing which just isn't personal computing AFAIC.
Old 19-02-2007, 05:15 PM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
I'd rather have it Apples way than Microsofts way!