Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 19-02-2007, 06:55 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by James Melody
Reasons to buy a Mac

#1 - Al from Bromley uses one.
I trust you have on order.

Seriously, much better than PCs. Even a chump like me can understand them.
Old 19-02-2007, 07:21 PM

LSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecalap Latsyrc
Macs are beautifully designed but it's Apple's way or nothing which just isn't personal computing AFAIC.
But it's not now as I believe you can run any OS on Macs with boot camp (To view the link you have to Register or Login)
Old 19-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Now that Vista is 300plus I suppose it is (which is a big mistake in Apple vs Microsoft), but providing you carry over part of your old system it certainly used to be much cheaper.

Macs are beautifully designed but it's Apple's way or nothing which just isn't personal computing AFAIC.
I prefer the cost of Ubuntu - 0 oh and 26700 pieces of software - 0
Old 19-02-2007, 08:20 PM

CPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Not that i know much about Linux or Mac's i tried out Ubuntu's live cd out the other day and thought it was great. Might get a cheap machine together to get used to it
Old 19-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Structural Member

Ecalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayEcalap Latsyrc knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego way
Quote:
I've been thinking it's about time I gave that a go. Need to buy another HD so I can dual boot first.

Apple may have made macs more comparable with normal PCs with Bootcamp but I just can't justify the extra money and the completely over the top reaction to most of Apple's minor innovations still irritates.
Old 19-02-2007, 08:37 PM

LSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I've been thinking it's about time I gave that a go. Need to buy another HD so I can dual boot first.
Or you could just partition your existing hard drive

Use this (To view the link you have to Register or Login)
Old 20-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
I always recommend a second cheapo disk for linux - just eliminates one potential issue

Won't be long before both disks are reformatted and running Linux annyways
Old 20-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by CPFC Town
Not that i know much about Linux or Mac's i tried out Ubuntu's live cd out the other day and thought it was great. Might get a cheap machine together to get used to it
You will love it
Old 20-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Bearded since 2004.

Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
I have my MacBook!

"You won't be listening anyway - you'll be picking your bum or listening to Pulp...'

"Use a plate! I've hoovered in here today, you cock!"

"Don't be a Gay all your life!"

"Does that mean our children will have monkey's skulls?"

"I don't want to inhale your urine!"

"Have you farted into a sponge or something?"

"You absolute pretentious ballsack!"

"You're a hairy, gay, Special Needs tramp!"

"Oh Google your own fat, flabby arse!"
Old 20-02-2007, 10:35 AM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
ah happy days dal I remember when I got my iBook almost 2 years ago
Old 20-02-2007, 10:37 AM

CPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC Town : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
You will love it
Excellent. Would a old Pentium 3 be ok to run it? Or im looking at buying this to dual boot both windows and maybe ubuntu would it be ok:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Thanks
Old 20-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Bearded since 2004.

Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian_eagles
ah happy days dal I remember when I got my iBook almost 2 years ago
Its fantastic - I'm so happy to be a Mac owner!

"You won't be listening anyway - you'll be picking your bum or listening to Pulp...'

Old 20-02-2007, 11:09 AM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
this is (should be) the place to ask any questions should you get any
Old 20-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Indeed, and there is always something new I discovered. I thought it was brilliant that I could take it out the box and it all worked with out loading a thing.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Seeking a permanent post

patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Bluetooth on a G5 Dual prodessor

Do I need to buy a bit of hardware for this? or is it buit-in and i'm not accessing it properly? anyone know please?

It works on my Imac G5 no problem just not on the G5
Old 20-02-2007, 12:00 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
a webcam makes the hardware 'different' - gee mister - does that mean my Vaio is different from my dell ?
I actually wrote "the web cam integration" which is a somewhat different meaning from your interpretation. The original iSight automatically brought up iChat when it was turned on. It's a small thing but is indicative of the way that the Mac differs in helping the user while using the supposedly standard hardware of all machines.

I assume sensors which can detect when the machine is falling and so lock the disk heads have been around for a while but I don't recall them being available in my recently purchased (and since sold) standard hardware Dell.
Old 20-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomo
Indeed, and there is always something new I discovered. I thought it was brilliant that I could take it out the box and it all worked with out loading a thing.
Indeed - although I can't get internet access at the moment as the good people at NTL have a server that won't give me a new IP address.

Other than that, everything is sweet.

Old 20-02-2007, 12:05 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
Originally posted by patch
Bluetooth on a G5 Dual prodessor

Do I need to buy a bit of hardware for this? or is it buit-in and i'm not accessing it properly?
If you open up the System Profiler (select 'About this Mac' from the Apple menu and then choose the 'More Info...' button) and look under the Hardware section in the left-hand menu it will show whether or not the Bluetooth hardware is installed.

It isn't installed by default in the Intel multiprocessor machines - bizarrely because it's a consumer feature and they are meant to be used for work (WTF?) - but I don't know if the same reasoning was used for the G5 ones.
Old 20-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Seeking a permanent post

patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Men At Work
If you open up the System Profiler (select 'About this Mac' from the Apple menu and then choose the 'More Info...' button) and look under the Hardware section in the left-hand menu it will show whether or not the Bluetooth hardware is installed.

It isn't installed by default in the Intel multiprocessor machines - bizarrely because it's a consumer feature and they are meant to be used for work (WTF?) - but I don't know if the same reasoning was used for the G5 ones.
Thanks, it says 'no information found' which I guess means that it doesn't have the hardware.
Old 20-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Buy a USB bluetooth dongle.

The bluetooth kit for the G5 is stupid expensive, you'll need t get an AASP to install it and they'll add on a labour charge aswell.