Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 27-02-2007, 01:34 PM
You fill me with inertia

James Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bag
Quote:
Originally posted by Isle of Wight
Anyone finding the browsers slow? I have a PC running firefox next to my Mac mini with Safari and the PC is faster. From a hardware perspective it only has a cheap USB wireless receiver. Is the Mac mini's integrated wireless known to be slow?
meh, I don't feel like biting though...
Old 27-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by James Melody
meh, I don't feel like biting though...
What's up? Forget to put your teeth in this morning.
Old 27-02-2007, 04:31 PM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Quote:
Originally posted by patch
I use Safari but there are problems with some sites - for instance I can't access my onlime banking via Safari - when this happens I use Firefox
Same, use Safari 95% of the time and firefox the rest, on a side note I have stopped using Mail and moved onto thunderbird but hopefully that'll change with leopard.
Old 28-02-2007, 01:53 AM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
Originally posted by Isle of Wight
Anyone finding the browsers slow? I have a PC running firefox next to my Mac mini with Safari and the PC is faster.
To view the link you have to Register or Login from the guy who does most of the Safari coding highlights a few possible issues. I've also found that it leaks memory over time and that closing and re-opening around once per day it resolves a lot of speed issues.

Issues with accessing some sites may be caused because they use ActiveX controls which are Windows-specific only. That used to occur here with a couple of the banks before they received enough requests to implement proper web standards and they now work quite happily with Safari.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Am really enjoying the new MacBook.

Have a small problem with our new Wireless Router that I'd appreciate some advice for.

We have a Netgear WGR614v4 - its all plumbed in and works ok - but at times its really slow (slower than dial-up) and sometimes doesn't work at all.

I've been pointed to some firmware on the Netgear website by the Customer Service people which I'd like to try but am not sure if it is specific to Macs. Can anyone help? Should I download this and install it?

I've asked the same question of the customer service people and they haven't bothered to respond.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

"You won't be listening anyway - you'll be picking your bum or listening to Pulp...'

"Use a plate! I've hoovered in here today, you cock!"

"Don't be a Gay all your life!"

"Does that mean our children will have monkey's skulls?"

"I don't want to inhale your urine!"

"Have you farted into a sponge or something?"

"You absolute pretentious ballsack!"

"You're a hairy, gay, Special Needs tramp!"

"Oh Google your own fat, flabby arse!"
Old 06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
The firmware shouldn't be specific to one platform or another, thats why we have standards. Are you connecting wireless or wired?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Dal has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
I'm wireless at the moment. We use an NTL cable broadband connection via a Digital Set-top box.

My girlfriend has a Mac also - I assume the firmware need only be installed once on my Mac?

"You won't be listening anyway - you'll be picking your bum or listening to Pulp...'

Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Umm - firmware updates go on the roters not the clients
Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM
iMember

The firmware will be installed onto your router not your macs, netgear won't be do firmware for apple parts. What sort of distances are you using it over?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Just in the flat - its set up in the front room and the only other place we use it is next door in the bedroom.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:55 PM
iMember

The only thing I can think of is someone else around you could also being running a network on the same channel. Have you tried changing the channel the router is using?
Old 06-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Bearded since 2004.

No, haven't tried that.

Will do so though.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian_eagles
The only thing I can think of is someone else around you could also being running a network on the same channel. Have you tried changing the channel the router is using?
This is really worth checking. A mate lives in a flat and he can 'see' seven other wireless users. Two of them have not secured their connections, so anyone could use them. Have you secured your wireless connection? This is a handy freebie:

Tells you what channel everyone else is on, the name of their network and whether it's secure.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:51 PM
iMember

def. make sure you've got SSID turned off, I use one called iStumbler as it also gives you a noise percentage too so it gives you an idea of any other items (microwaves and phones) also making a difference

Last edited by cumbrian_eagles; 06-03-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Nothing much doing - have now changed the channel on the Router twice without any noticable difference.

This may sound stoopid but what is SSID?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 PM
iMember

basically it stops the router sending out the signal which tells devices not connected that it is there
Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Bearded since 2004.

I see - might that cause problems using more than one machine as we do? What I mean is that my machine manages the Router - how might my girlfriends Mac see the network if the SSID is switched off?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 PM
iMember

The laptop once connected to it should be setup to join it automatically even if it can't actually see the network as its been connected before.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Ok, I'm with you now.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Dal I don't know if this helps but I posted performance issues in using wireless on my mac mini as compared to my PC. I haven't had a chance to test things yet and try and sort it but it does provide a starting point of things to test.

We need to determine if the slowness is in transferring data, or whether it is slow in looking up addresses and resolving them into IP numbers.

Try doing a "speed test":

This will let us know which it is.

If you get bad download speed, then we need to work on the quality of the wireless link.

If the speed test shows good download speed, then the problem is most likely misconfigured DNS lookup, which can be fixed by changing your DNS settings.

Or a problem with caching, which could be fixed by running a system maintenance utility like Yasu:

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018