Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 14-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
I have my recertification for my Apple qualifications in a couple of weeks, will ask around. (Since I used to work for the company they might tell me )
Old 14-02-2007, 09:05 PM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
current rumours are March
Old 14-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Hopefuly, I'll be in the market for a new Powerbook by then. It would be great to use it's System disc to upgrade my G4.
Old 14-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by fang
Hopefuly, I'll be in the market for a new Powerbook by then. It would be great to use it's System disc to upgrade my G4.
You mean an MBP? And I don't think the install DVD will work on a G4 Processor.
Old 14-02-2007, 09:14 PM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
I think Santos-er is right, with a new MBP you'd get an Intel version of Leopard. I guess my mate is screwed if he's gonna buy the "family pack" again as he's got on Intel and the rest of us are on PPC
Old 14-02-2007, 09:28 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
Originally posted by Isle of Wight
Thanks Maw have just looked at their website, you dont know a freeware version that will do both the wma and the live.com do you
The version they provide gives you the playing capabilities with no cost. The simpler way is to download it from To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 14-02-2007, 09:32 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
Originally posted by fang
........(ahem)...Can anyone confirm whether Leopard will run on both G4 and Duo Core II Macs? I Thank you.....(closes door and leaves quietly)
I think the G3 is the only existing processor which will be left out of Leopard. Rather than ship two separate boxes I assume the Intel and PPC versions would both be on the same disk. After all if Apple has been convincing developers to ship their applications as universal binaries it would be remiss of them not to do so for operating system.
Old 14-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
So would Lepoard shipped with a G5 Duo, run on my G4? I had read that non model specifc binary Apps would run on a G4 but I may have imagined it.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:34 PM

I imagine that the disks shipped with a machine will be CPU specific (since they also contain lots of other stuff) but that the retail version of Leopard will support both Intel and PPC.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Slightly Unstable

If you bought a generic Leopard install DVD, it might install on a G5, depending on how it is coded. There's always the possibility that they'll make an Intel processor a requirement to force people into buying a new Mac.

My guess on specs (based on previous OSX versions) will be a bare minimum of G5 processor, 512mb RAM, about 10gb for the install. In reality, I reckon it'll take a G5 and 2gb RAM or an Intel chipset and 1gb to make it usable. Bear in mind Apple also recommend keeping 20% of HD space free for VM performance.
Old 14-02-2007, 11:15 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
I cant believe this but my Mac software has frozen!!!! IMovie all works fine, share with IDVD fine, Preview runs fine, But when you go to burn it encodes all the menus & the images but just sits there when it tries to encode the music!!! Any ideas anyone? I've done a force quit and it always freezes at the same spot.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 14-02-2007, 11:27 PM

Leave it for a while so it can finish. The progress bar seems to stop when encoding the music which gives the appearance of it having frozen (but it is still running). The simplest way to check is to bring up the Activity Monitor which will show the CPU usage for each application. You should see that iDVD is still chugging away. It's a somewhat annoying bug.

On a related note I find it quicker to have iDVD save to a disk image and then burn that to a disk later on.

To do a quick check on this you may want to create a very small iMovie so you can verify that the audio encoding does actually complete.
Old 15-02-2007, 02:24 AM

Gates v Jobs: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 15-02-2007, 08:10 AM

LSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian_eagles
current rumours are March
Thanks for that, that would be great if correct. When I heard Spring 2007 I was thinking May/June time, but that's probably because I'm used to MS
Old 15-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
I wonder if Leopard will have a case sensitive shell - it's only 2007 ffs
Old 15-02-2007, 12:09 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Men At Work
Leave it for a while so it can finish. The progress bar seems to stop when encoding the music which gives the appearance of it having frozen (but it is still running). The simplest way to check is to bring up the Activity Monitor which will show the CPU usage for each application. You should see that iDVD is still chugging away. It's a somewhat annoying bug.

On a related note I find it quicker to have iDVD save to a disk image and then burn that to a disk later on.

To do a quick check on this you may want to create a very small iMovie so you can verify that the audio encoding does actually complete.
That cracked it

Thanks a lot. There does seem to be one or two. The another I found is that in Imovie you cant change from NTSC to Pal. It says you can but the settings don't keep. I was on the Apple forums for ages on that one . It doesn't seem to effect the finished DVD however. What does seem to happen is that the final DVD seems to crop the top of the pictures from iphoto, a bit, so that when it appears in the TV sometimes half the faces are cropped

Thanks again

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 15-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Isle of Wight
What does seem to happen is that the final DVD seems to crop the top of the pictures from iphoto, a bit, so that when it appears in the TV sometimes half the faces are cropped
Could you possibly be putting a 4:3 format movie into a 16:9 DVD format? Is the cropping only at the top/bottom or at the sides as well?
Old 15-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Old 15-02-2007, 11:09 PM
You fill me with inertia

James Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bag
Quote:
Originally posted by Adlerhorst

Despite that he has gone off one one against Macs whereas the first post clearly says please don't do this - so he is either very rude, very stupid, or both.
This is the BBS .... since when does stating "please don't post about XXXX" on a thread ever give the desired result?
Old 16-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by James Melody
This is the BBS .... since when does stating "please don't post about XXXX" on a thread ever give the desired result?
True. Missed off the smiley on my post. Apologies.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.