Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 23-03-2020, 09:25 AM

foresthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is here
I see the big supermarkets staying open. not just because of food supply, toilet rolls and handwash but also because most of them have a pharmacy inside.
Local shops will no doubt have increased footfall, especially if they have a post office.
Our local Boots may be shutting (under review), but then they will still be trading delivering prescription medicines to peoples homes
Old 23-03-2020, 10:14 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Adrenalin, I don’t know what line of business you are in, what your rateable value is or your turnover, but councils are able to issue some financial relief via the standard Small Business Rates Relief scheme (potentially worth 10 or 25k depending on your business).

For those business in hospitality or leisure, it appears the whole business rates bill will be put on ‘holiday’ for 2020/21. This will happen automatically once the council has the software upgrades needed to recalculate bills.

Most of the stuff I’ve seen this morning refers us back to the following link, which is unusual (as I’d expect more detail for staff) but I’d assume HMG wants consistent messaging: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 23-03-2020, 10:25 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
I will almost certainly lose my business, and am gutted about it. This crisis has made me realise how much I like working with the team I have.

However much money I have lost, I don't have a mortgage or small kids, so my worries ultimately are way less than those whose homes are at risk and ability to look after their little ones compromised.

I have three months of cash to pay everyone. Six if my debtors all pay up - I am expecting most will not.
Very sorry to read this. I don't want to trivialise the situation, but if you can run for three months, and the government will help with wages / tax deferment, can you not last another three or s months, by just not paying bills/rent etc. ? At this stage, we have to assume that there will be some easing of the position in six months' time, and it's hard to to see that the courts will be enforcing debts during this time (not least because they will be overwhelmed by cases).

Really not trying to dig into your personal business situation, but more trying to understand what typical businesses can do during the peak lock-down situation.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:49 AM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Curry’s/PC World doing very nicely... freezers and more laptops/monitors are the next most essential after toilet paper it seems
Old 23-03-2020, 10:52 AM

loz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine lucas View Post
Curry’s/PC World doing very nicely... freezers and more laptops/monitors are the next most essential after toilet paper it seems
With loads of bored men and teenage boys sitting at home " easy wipe down keyboards" are a must.
Old 23-03-2020, 11:06 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Rents and mirtgages are the first thing that should be suspended, for all.
Or reduced by say 75%. There is a risk in suspending rents that you'll end up with people dependent on rent payments being massively impacted (not that I usually care for landlords per se, but many may also need that income).

I'm seeing everywhere people seeming to want to have just about every form of tax cancelled (VAT, Corporation, Council etc) - Which is fine in the short term as governments maybe able to borrow, but in the long term it has to be paid back (raised taxes, increased prices etc - as companies and government will need to make up for lost income / wages honoured / revenue lost etc).

That said, I'd imagine supermarkets are doing gangbusters business wise as they're selling out of a lot of stuff faster than they can stack it on shelves (and the supply chain isn't reporting problems with getting stock to shops etc) - So a case might be made for identifying businesses that have massively profited and levying a 'Crisis tax' if they're making a significant profit on their usual trade.

Same might go for other businesses - that for whatever reason see an upturn in revenue generation due to the virus (Undertakers maybe etc).
Old 23-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Rents and mirtgages are the first thing that should be suspended, for all.
What about renters on big guaranteed incomes paying landlords who need the money as a vital part of their just getting by pension?
Old 23-03-2020, 12:30 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
What about renters on big guaranteed incomes paying landlords who need the money as a vital part of their just getting by pension?
We could make exceptions for this very small outlier group.

Last edited by Golf Boy; 23-03-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 23-03-2020, 12:37 PM

Palace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Currys. I deal with them in my job and they are lobbying the government to stay open in a lockdown as one of the exceptions as they do fridges which are 'essential'. Retailers should be putting their staff first surely ahead of profits.
Old 23-03-2020, 12:43 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace Kebab View Post
Currys. I deal with them in my job and they are lobbying the government to stay open in a lockdown as one of the exceptions as they do fridges which are 'essential'. Retailers should be putting their staff first surely ahead of profits.
To be fair, whilst I'd never shop in there, there is an argument for this. When we were in Devon we looked in John Lewis at a bigger fridge freezer - just bring the purchase forward before the extension is finished - and there were two people looking at them because they don't own them and never have! I'd never heard of that before, but I suppose in some areas some people have just not stopped using a larder or have been able to get by day to day.

We probably need to keep open a supply of washing machines as well, so that people can still get a proper wash done should the worst happen and their appliance breaks down. Launderettes fail the social distancing test, if you can find them, and some people won't have the mobility to wash their own clothes the old fashioned way.

Interesting times and interesting how we take so much for granted.
Old 23-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Failed lorry driver.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Isn't that Catweazle gammon bellend who owns Wetherspoons, refusing to close?

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 23-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Failed lorry driver.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresthillbilly View Post
I see the big supermarkets staying open. not just because of food supply, toilet rolls and handwash but also because most of them have a pharmacy inside.
Local shops will no doubt have increased footfall, especially if they have a post office.
Our local Boots may be shutting (under review), but then they will still be trading delivering prescription medicines to peoples homes
Supermarkets and pharmacies will stay open because people will need to buy food and medicine.

Old 23-03-2020, 12:49 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
aj, I’m not in the business rates area of expertise but we share a system and I’ve seen bulletins coming in all week regarding covid-19 legislation changes.

If I see anything of help that is not under press embargo, I’ll let you know.
Or pm him if it is ( under press embargo).
Old 23-03-2020, 12:54 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Business rents, accompanying service charges, and business rates need to be suspended for those not doing any business.

I have written to my landlord and management company (but not my mp) about this but not had a reply or even acknowledgement.

Not surprised by the landlord, but the management company (and I used to be on the board of it) surprises me, particularly as they have a seven figure reserve fund and aren't actually providing any services...

hey ho

In life and business you really get to see the true mettle and character of people in a crisis

I will almost certainly lose my business, and am gutted about it. This crisis has made me realise how much I like working with the team I have.

However much money I have lost, I don't have a mortgage or small kids, so my worries ultimately are way less than those whose homes are at risk and ability to look after their little ones compromised.

I have three months of cash to pay everyone. Six if my debtors all pay up - I am expecting most will not.
Very sorry to hear this AJ
Old 23-03-2020, 01:09 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Isn't that Catweazle gammon bellend who owns Wetherspoons, refusing to close?
No.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

He didn’t want to mind.

Last edited by Blind_Eagle; 23-03-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 23-03-2020, 02:52 PM
Failed lorry driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
No.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

He didn’t want to mind.
Good. Awful ****.

Old 23-03-2020, 03:14 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I suspect in 9 months and beyond baby clothes and accessories stores will be doing a fine trade.

Maybe a resurgence of the Mothercare® chain.
Old 23-03-2020, 03:49 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I suspect in 9 months and beyond baby clothes and accessories stores will be doing a fine trade.

Maybe a resurgence of the Mothercare® chain.
Possibly....alternatively I think there’ll be more sales of contraceptives, because who wants to have the responsibility of a baby within the next year?

No one wants to go near a hospital if they can avoid it, nor the worry of sourcing baby milk, food, nappies etc.
Old 23-03-2020, 04:05 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Possibly....alternatively I think there’ll be more sales of contraceptives, because who wants to have the responsibility of a baby within the next year?

No one wants to go near a hospital if they can avoid it, nor the worry of sourcing baby milk, food, nappies etc.
Trouble with that idea is people would have to be thinking with their brains... current actions of people would indicate this is not the case...
Old 23-03-2020, 04:18 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Very sorry to read this. I don't want to trivialise the situation, but if you can run for three months, and the government will help with wages / tax deferment, can you not last another three or s months, by just not paying bills/rent etc. ? At this stage, we have to assume that there will be some easing of the position in six months' time, and it's hard to to see that the courts will be enforcing debts during this time (not least because they will be overwhelmed by cases).

Really not trying to dig into your personal business situation, but more trying to understand what typical businesses can do during the peak lock-down situation.
Obviously I will try and manage as best as possible. There are just so many variables in my business, including overseas contractors who will need paying, the position even of suppliers as well as debtors.

Cashflow wise I need substantial working capital to oil the machinery, we can burn through that but then when we re-start the engine it will soon seize up.... So is it better to distribute that working money to people now or waste it on rent etc. Talking of which my current lease runs out end of July, do I renew or not?

And then there is the eco system afterwards, will my customers have been wiped out themselves, will communication models have changed beyond recognition etc.

I am sure there are hundreds of thousands of others grappling with similar unknowns.

Anyway I am not afraid to make decisions, and expect to make mistakes but get more right than wrong.

I also hope that I can find a role to help in this crisis, would be good to do something positive rather sit here fearing for others and watching wealth disappear.

Thanks for you concern though Richard, it is appreciated