Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 25-03-2020, 09:12 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
That’s very sad news.

Certainly a fixture around the club in the 80’s too.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 25-03-2020, 10:04 AM

Lee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is here
Maurice Aka “Mo or Mole” was an absolute GREAT BLOKE I knew him ,his wife Barbara and two kids well and spent many many hours with him on trains, pubs and lunches at Mitcham.

I last saw him when we had lunch at his new location somewhere towards Swindon back in 2004. Obviously I am gutted but even more so because I tried to reconnect some 3 years ago only to be told he had already passed away.
Whatever he did so much for so many it was just a shame his love of Palace was somewhat tarnished at he end of the Noades era when he had to leave Mitcham .But forget that because he was one of our greatest ever supporters just RIP.
Old 25-03-2020, 10:08 AM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sad news. Top man. Got to know him and his family well in mid 70s when my old man assisted Mole on occasions running the away football special trains. Love to his force of nature wife Barbara and sons Barry & James. Spent many a long away train journey messing about with James and generally annoying my Dad and Mole (when they weren't busy selling kit kats and hot drinks onboard).
A lovely, genuine man.
Old 25-03-2020, 10:13 AM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
An excuse to post this again:

I went to Sunderland, but don't recall being offered free travel to Mansfield. Maybe that was for the people on the train that broke down on route to Sunderland... We were on the first train and it go there before the game, but the second one got there in the end, but after KO I believe. Perhaps the free tickets were compensation.
The free tickets to Mansfield were compensation because of the fiasco with the trains going to Sunderland away for the FA Cup quarter final. First 3 trains got there in time for KO. I was on the 4th and we got to ground about 310pm. I think those on 5th train got to ground just before HT. And those on 6th train may have missed the game completely.

Mansfield was only away game my mum and sister ever went to due to it being free!
Old 25-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
RIP to a great servant of the club and the fans. Organising those trains must have been a real balls ache, but all those guys were incredibly diligent ... and patient.
Old 25-03-2020, 12:05 PM
Probationary User

Bruce's offside is playing for a contract
RIP Maurice. Without your hard work and dedication I wouldn't have been able to travel and enjoy so many away games. There was always something special about coming over to the cabin midweek to buy the train tickets for the next trip and knowing that you were definitely going. Top man and a credit to the club.
Old 25-03-2020, 12:10 PM

eagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagleheath : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
RIP Maurice. A true gent who will be sadly missed.
Old 25-03-2020, 12:14 PM

ballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineballboy1975 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
The free tickets to Mansfield were compensation because of the fiasco with the trains going to Sunderland away for the FA Cup quarter final. First 3 trains got there in time for KO. I was on the 4th and we got to ground about 310pm. I think those on 5th train got to ground just before HT. And those on 6th train may have missed the game completely.

i could be wrong but i thought the mansfield rail ticket were for £1
Old 25-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
As an aside is Neil Everiitt still photographer
Very much so
Old 25-03-2020, 12:25 PM

selhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale View Post
Very much so
Drink with Neil before every game home and away. 👍
Old 25-03-2020, 12:39 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
First time I entered the Prefab and the first time I met Maurice was after the Blackburn game in Oct of 74. We signed up for the first Rail Travellers trip to Port Vale on the following Saturday. Train to Stoke, then a bus to the ground and coming back a bus brought us to Crewe where we picked up the train. After that the Rail travelers Club really took off. I remember his wife used to travel with him and he had a side kick called John Vine. He was smart enough to give some of the hard cases a free trip in return for monitoring a couple of carriages and anyone who went to Sunderland in the Cup got a free trip to Mansfield. Am I imagining it, but did those Specials go direct to Mansfield from Selhurst Station?
Thanks for the memories Maurice. R.I.P mate
I was on the broken down train to Sunderland. Iirc the railway company gave the travel club a refund of about £1500 and they used the money to subsidise the forthcoming trip to Mansfield. There were two trains to Mansfield if I recall and the price was a £1 return not free. The trains went to Alfreton where there was a circa 8 mile journey on special buses. That’s from memory.

RIP Maurice.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:47 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
As an addition: last time I saw Maurice was in 2000 at the creditors meeting during the first (Goldberg) administration. I believe Uncle Ron had set Maurice up with some sort of pension, but I fear this may have been lost when Goldberg went under.
Old 25-03-2020, 02:59 PM

Acky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I've been travelling the country following the Palace since the late 70's. I can honestly say that without Maurice running the trains back then I very much doubt I would have got the away travel bug. As a knock on from Maurice, followed by Chris and Gildo organising the specials I have had the pleasure of making many friends over the years following the Palace home and away. I'm sure its a sentiment that is echoed by many on the BBS and for that I can only say thank you Maurice.

RIP Maurice
Old 25-03-2020, 05:19 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
RIP
Old 25-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Grey Haired

geoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad View Post
Started the Rail Travellers' Club in the mid 70s, hiring trains and running cut-price travel to all games. Even though third division, he helped Palace become one of the best supported away teams in the country.
His enthusiasm then extended to acting as foreman for the Campaign for Palace's fan's paint crew which carried out extensive work during the closed season in 1976 and 1977.
He was appointed by the club as manager of the newly acquired Mitcham Training Ground, living in the house on the site. He eventually became kit manager.
That's as I remember it, others may have better recollections.
Top man who had the respect of all fans. RIP Maurice.
Was also during the 1975 close season, can remember working at the ground for about 4 weeks between leaving school at end of June and starting work in August, as you say Neil, he used to provide food and drinks for the painters, (hopefully CPFC were paying but I'm not so sure!), it could never happen today with the health and safety gone mad world.
Agreed his taking on and starting the Rail Traveller's Club was instrumental in getting larger numbers to away games for a reasonable price at a time when the team was starting to do well after the two successive relegations. I'm sure someone could write the definitive history of the Rail Traveller's Club (maybe sooner rather than later), but I agree he was respected by all the fans and I think the Palace management. From the trains that I went on the ones I remember more than any other were to the F A Youth Cup Semi Final 1st Leg in March 1976 on a Monday night to West Brom (Smethwick Rolfe Street for the train spotters, Palace lost), May 1977 on a Thursday night to Everton for FA Youth Cup Final 1st leg , 0-0) and the first team at Blackpool on a Tuesday night in October 1977, ( lost 3-1) unusual that train arrived at 530pm and did not leave for return until about hour after game so had time for trip along the illuminations, these were memorable that there were only about 50 - 70 fans on a complete train, hopefully Maurice did not get ripped off too much by British Rail on what must have been costly things to organise.

But yes he was a true Palace legend, who should not be forgotten.
Old 25-03-2020, 10:30 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I will remember the carriages they used to use look like they came out of the junk yard or a museum... I don't think British Rail trusted us with anything under 30 years old.

Mind you many a widow got smashed on them (by opposing fans, not Palace fans), so don't blame them.
Old 25-03-2020, 11:03 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh View Post
Was also during the 1975 close season, can remember working at the ground for about 4 weeks between leaving school at end of June and starting work in August, as you say Neil, he used to provide food and drinks for the painters, (hopefully CPFC were paying but I'm not so sure!), it could never happen today with the health and safety gone mad world.
Agreed his taking on and starting the Rail Traveller's Club was instrumental in getting larger numbers to away games for a reasonable price at a time when the team was starting to do well after the two successive relegations. I'm sure someone could write the definitive history of the Rail Traveller's Club (maybe sooner rather than later), but I agree he was respected by all the fans and I think the Palace management. From the trains that I went on the ones I remember more than any other were to the F A Youth Cup Semi Final 1st Leg in March 1976 on a Monday night to West Brom (Smethwick Rolfe Street for the train spotters, Palace lost), May 1977 on a Thursday night to Everton for FA Youth Cup Final 1st leg , 0-0) and the first team at Blackpool on a Tuesday night in October 1977, ( lost 3-1) unusual that train arrived at 530pm and did not leave for return until about hour after game so had time for trip along the illuminations, these were memorable that there were only about 50 - 70 fans on a complete train, hopefully Maurice did not get ripped off too much by British Rail on what must have been costly things to organise.

But yes he was a true Palace legend, who should not be forgotten.
Hi Geoff, hope you're keeping well. Not seen you for a while.
Old 26-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Palace till I die

casinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
He made travelling to away games in the Seventies for me and many more Palace fans such great fun.

Condolences to his family and friends.
RIP Maurice.....

Steve Parish our greatest chairman.
Old 26-03-2020, 01:55 PM

norwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballboy1975 View Post
i could be wrong but i thought the mansfield rail ticket were for £1
Mansfield tickets were definitely £1 as way of compo for Sunderland. We had a massive turnout and remember they had double decker buses to take us from Mansfield station to the ground.
Old 26-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood58 View Post
Mansfield tickets were definitely £1 as way of compo for Sunderland. We had a massive turnout and remember they had double decker buses to take us from Mansfield station to the ground.
Alfreton Station wasn’t it? Edit: quick google says the station was called Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway.

Last edited by Nth Kent Eagle; 26-03-2020 at 02:10 PM.