Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 26-03-2020, 02:10 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
How sad, remember him well regarding away days.

RIP Maurice.
Old 26-03-2020, 03:25 PM

JannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad View Post
His enthusiasm then extended to acting as foreman for the Campaign for Palace's fan's paint crew which carried out extensive work during the closed season in 1976 and 1977.
Top man who had the respect of all fans. RIP Maurice.
In 1974 he got a few of us in on Sunday mornings clearing rubble off the back of the Holmesdale in readiness for building the new stand!
Twenty years ahead of his time!
Old 26-03-2020, 06:21 PM

norwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorwood58 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Alfreton Station wasn’t it? Edit: quick google says the station was called Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway.
That's the one, a convey of a least a dozen buses. I don't think they knew what had hit them that day.... Good times !
Old 26-03-2020, 07:32 PM
older member

SHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSHIPEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood58 View Post
That's the one, a convey of a least a dozen buses. I don't think they knew what had hit them that day.... Good times !
And the stop by the woods as loads needed a piss
Old 26-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks for the great memories Maurice.... How you coped with some of us was a testament to you fine character.
Old 26-03-2020, 09:14 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIPEAGLE View Post
And the stop by the woods as loads needed a piss

Aye wouldn't have liked to be sitting where the driver was on our bus... No wonder they stopped.
Old 27-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
God Bless Maurice.

I didn’t realise the Port Vale trip was the first one. Jim and I were not allowed on the bus after the game, I can’t recall why, but we missed the train home and there’s a few stories to tell of how we got home.

Ive still got my membership cards, the photo ID is ....... well let’s just say another era.

Thanks Maurice, you created memories for many people.
Old 27-03-2020, 09:24 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I will remember the carriages they used to use look like they came out of the junk yard or a museum... I don't think British Rail trusted us with anything under 30 years old.

Mind you many a widow got smashed on them (by opposing fans, not Palace fans), so don't blame them.
Hmmmmm. I remember a trip back from Leeds in darkness, because some of our own fans had been through smashing all the lightbulbs.
Old 27-03-2020, 03:47 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hmmmmm. I remember a trip back from Leeds in darkness, because some of our own fans had been through smashing all the lightbulbs.
Was that the Cup game? I do recall one game being in the dark all the way home.

Also another (maybe Preston) where all the blinds had to be pulled down as a) rocks were getting thrown at the train, and b) the broken glass was letting the cold air in so the blinds helped keep that out (unsuccessfully).

Ah the good old days!
Old 27-03-2020, 03:51 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Was that the Cup game? I do recall one game being in the dark all the way home.

Also another (maybe Preston) where all the blinds had to be pulled down as a) rocks were getting thrown at the train, and b) the broken glass was letting the cold air in so the blinds helped keep that out (unsuccessfully).

Ah the good old days!
Was that Bury in 1976-7?
The station was in a deep cutting and the Bury fans were on a path on the cliff above lobbying rocks down on the stationary train below. They weren’t very happy because Palace fans had taken over the home covered end to avoid the cold.

Last edited by Nth Kent Eagle; 27-03-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Corrected date
Old 27-03-2020, 03:54 PM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Was that Bury in 1996-7? The station was in a deep cutting and the Bury fans were on a path on the cliff above lobbying rocks down on the stationary train below. They weren’t very happy because Palace fans had taken over the home covered end to avoid the cold.
They weren't too happy when we did same thing 20 years earlier .
Old 27-03-2020, 03:56 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD View Post
They weren't too happy when we did same thing 20 years earlier .
Whoops, yes I meant 1976-7. I’d better edit original post. I was told the same thing happened the previous season.
Old 27-03-2020, 03:58 PM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Whoops, yes I meant 1976-7. I’d better edit original post. I was told the same thing happened the previous season.
Old 27-03-2020, 04:41 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Was that Bury in 1976-7?
The station was in a deep cutting and the Bury fans were on a path on the cliff above lobbying rocks down on the stationary train below. They weren’t very happy because Palace fans had taken over the home covered end to avoid the cold.
The one I'm thinking of was definitely Preston... same scenario though (lobbing rocks down on the stationary train below from a bridge). I never went to Bury.
Old 27-03-2020, 06:35 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
The one I'm thinking of was definitely Preston... same scenario though (lobbing rocks down on the stationary train below from a bridge). I never went to Bury.
Remember the bridge. There was a young Chelsea fan from Mitcham who used to drink in our local. He got thrown off that bridge and killed. The press were covering trouble at football from another angle at the time. For years they were making every little stare down into a riot. Later they decided the best way was to ignore it and not give any publicity to the hoolies. When he died I don't think it got any coverage in the papers at all.
Old 27-03-2020, 06:55 PM
The Spiky One

I'm as guilty as anyone on this thread, but out of respect to Maurice, maybe we should move memories of rail travel/rail travel club to a separate thread in Memory Lane.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if there was not one already... I'll take a look.

Edit:

I found this one... To view the link you have to Register or Login

Or this one... To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 27-03-2020, 09:22 PM

Paulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Started using the specials later in the 70's so it was Chris and Gildo doing more of the organising however Maurice was usually in the cabin when tickets were bought. Didn't he habitually wear a big leather jacket?
Different times. Mum ' what you doing on Saturday? '. Me at aged 14 or so 'getting a train up to Stoke/Barnsley/Sheffield/etc to watch Palace with Ad/Kev/whoever'. Mum 'ok then'. Cant see that happening today!
Old 28-03-2020, 12:25 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinmorden View Post
Started using the specials later in the 70's so it was Chris and Gildo doing more of the organising however Maurice was usually in the cabin when tickets were bought. Didn't he habitually wear a big leather jacket?
Different times. Mum ' what you doing on Saturday? '. Me at aged 14 or so 'getting a train up to Stoke/Barnsley/Sheffield/etc to watch Palace with Ad/Kev/whoever'. Mum 'ok then'. Cant see that happening today!
That’s brought back a memory from the final week of the 1976/77 season, although Maurice (God rest his soul) wasn’t directly involved, although he was almost certainly there when I bought my coach ticket to Wrexham for our final league game in the midweek.

Being, as you mentioned, just turned 14, this involved bunking off afternoon lessons at St Joe’s in Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood, a short bus trip to Selhurst Park to catch the coach.

As we all know, it ended in a glorious 4-2 victory, which helped us to promotion, I actually went to Wrexham again on the following Saturday, three days later as Neil Everitt (cad on here!) helped to arrange a coach to let some of us cheer on Mansfield in that vital last Saturday - many Palace fans instead turned up at the Reserve mach, home to Hereford at SP to eventually celebrate promotion.

Anyway, back to the Wrexham v Palace game on the Wednesday, I reckon I got home around 2.30 - 3.00 am.

My mum used to get up early for her first smoke of the day and met me as I got through the door.

‘Where have you been?’ - so I told her ‘Wrexham’ - ‘Oh that’s not far, is it? she replied.

I tried telling her it was in North Wales, but she didn’t seem convinced. It was only years later, long after she had passed away, I found out that my mum had been evacuated to Farnham during WWII and thought that I was talking about Wrecclesham in Surrey, near where she grew up! I don’t think she ever worked it out!
Old 28-03-2020, 05:20 PM

cpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfcpaulo2 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
That’s brought back a memory from the final week of the 1976/77 season, although Maurice (God rest his soul) wasn’t directly involved, although he was almost certainly there when I bought my coach ticket to Wrexham for our final league game in the midweek.

Being, as you mentioned, just turned 14, this involved bunking off afternoon lessons at St Joe’s in Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood, a short bus trip to Selhurst Park to catch the coach.

As we all know, it ended in a glorious 4-2 victory, which helped us to promotion, I actually went to Wrexham again on the following Saturday, three days later as Neil Everitt (cad on here!) helped to arrange a coach to let some of us cheer on Mansfield in that vital last Saturday - many Palace fans instead turned up at the Reserve mach, home to Hereford at SP to eventually celebrate promotion.

Anyway, back to the Wrexham v Palace game on the Wednesday, I reckon I got home around 2.30 - 3.00 am.

My mum used to get up early for her first smoke of the day and met me as I got through the door.

‘Where have you been?’ - so I told her ‘Wrexham’ - ‘Oh that’s not far, is it? she replied.

I tried telling her it was in North Wales, but she didn’t seem convinced. It was only years later, long after she had passed away, I found out that my mum had been evacuated to Farnham during WWII and thought that I was talking about Wrecclesham in Surrey, near where she grew up! I don’t think she ever worked it out!
Great story, different times. I’m a little younger than you and have vague memories of the 1977 promotion.
Old 28-03-2020, 06:11 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
RIP