Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:22 PM

davidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavidcpal_45 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
David Gregory has signed a one year deal with Cambridge United and will link up with Shaun Derry there.
After 11 years representing Crystal Palace, it's time for Greggers to move on.
A shame in one way, but so positive in lots of others - With joining Cambridge United, he has been fortunate enough to be given such an exciting opportunity at a great club, and a real chance to go out and show exactly what the past years of dedication, sacrifice and commitment have moulded him in to and a chance to carry on with building a career in a fantastic profession and to be part of a team that is lead by a man like Shaun Derry will no doubt be a brilliant experience.
The very fact that has worked through the years, since the age of 11, as part of the Palace Academy, making it through his Scholarship to becoming a Professional Footballer is something that fills me, his Mum, Granddads and all of his family with great pride and satisfaction - and a contentment in knowing that all of the support and faith, in all of the different ways that we have all given him over the the years has been and continues to be worth it.
Thanks to all of the coaching staff at Palace for their hard work at the Academy - Thanks to the Management team at Cambridge for making us feel so welcome and thanks to Bobby Bowry and his team for making sure all went smoothly over the past couple of weeks.

And Special thanks to Woosie and Gazza2 for all of their positive feedback over the many years.

Good Luck Greggers
Up The Amber Army!!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:33 PM

cockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
As was Andy Gray, Phil Barber and Ian Cox. And Stuart Massey. And Dennis Bailey. But possibly not Tony Finnegan. But Stan Collymore was.
Tony Finnegan too, was managed by Billy Smith at Corinthian Casuals - in the same team as Pardew and Andy Gray I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcpal_45 View Post
Good Luck Greggers
Up The Amber Army!!
Best of luck to him!

Last edited by cockles; 03-06-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:49 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
A shame in one way, but so positive in lots of others - With joining Cambridge United, he has been fortunate enough to be given such an exciting opportunity at a great club, and a real chance to go out and show exactly what the past years of dedication, sacrifice and commitment have moulded him in to and a chance to carry on with building a career in a fantastic profession and to be part of a team that is lead by a man like Shaun Derry will no doubt be a brilliant experience.
The very fact that has worked through the years, since the age of 11, as part of the Palace Academy, making it through his Scholarship to becoming a Professional Footballer is something that fills me, his Mum, Granddads and all of his family with great pride and satisfaction - and a contentment in knowing that all of the support and faith, in all of the different ways that we have all given him over the the years has been and continues to be worth it.
Thanks to all of the coaching staff at Palace for their hard work at the Academy - Thanks to the Management team at Cambridge for making us feel so welcome and thanks to Bobby Bowry and his team for making sure all went smoothly over the past couple of weeks.

And Special thanks to Woosie and Gazza2 for all of their positive feedback over the many years.

Good Luck Greggers
Up The Amber Army!!
Very best of luck to your son please keep us posted .
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleborn View Post
Genuine question - do you think his height has something to do with injuries? I know a lot of very tall people who struggled with injuries at a young age, mainly due to height issues. There can be an additional strain on ligaments and muscles etc if you grow too quickly which could be causing issues?

May be something he grows out of?
I'm no doctor but I've seen it in a few young players - Ryan Inniss being another. For sure young players seem more prone to injury as their bodies are still developing, and I suspect height also has something to do with it in many cases, too.

Hopefully it does go away as he gets older, he's nice lad and a good player.

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere
Old 03-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Missed out a few scholars earlier (the best ones!!)

Joseph Hungbo - could be the next Sullay Kaikai/Aaron Bissaka. Has scored three in about four or five U18 games already and is at most 16, may even have been 15 at the time. I like him, he's quick, good finisher and has a lot of energy.

James Daly - from Sussex so nabbed from Brighton's back yard. Scored twice for the 18s whilst only 16. He's a striker, quite small but strong. Not seen enough to say exactly what kind of player he is.

Tariq Ossai - RB, my MOTM for the U18s 1-0 win over Ipswich in December where Joe Hungbo scored a last minute winner with a brilliant volley.

Francis Baptiste - another striker but not one I've seen enough of to make a proper comment about. Was top scorer in the tournament in India in April though. Tall pacy striker I think

Lewis Bryon - Not entirely sure what position he is but either a CB or a CM, played at least once for the 18s last season

Quote:

Good Luck Greggers
Up The Amber Army!!
Absolute pleasure to speak to you and David throughout the years.

I have an interview with Gregory which I need to write-up from last week, will link here when it's up.

Last edited by Woosie; 03-06-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
David Gregory has signed a one year deal with Cambridge United and will link up with Shaun Derry there.
Really pleased for him, will hopefully be the start of a great league career, huge Palace fan of course.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:41 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle View Post
Being of a certain age my first thought on seeing that was son of Ormondroyd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
It's been a while since we've blooded a centre back (Woozley and Sagi Burton the last two I think about 1999?)

The last one I thought looked tidy was Holland (I think at Bromley now?)
Old 03-06-2016, 11:01 PM

Gazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is here
Ben Wynter, another CB, signed his initial pro deal this week!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:13 PM

Gazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is here
And, of course, best wishes to David Gregory for the start of the next chapter of his career. You often hear little whispers if one of the lads has stepped out of line or has not been giving 100% in training, but nobody has ever said anything like that about David. Which is a big credit to him considering he's been with the club for over a decade.
Nice bit in the local paper about him joining Cambridge. Would be great to see him win the battle he mentions and claim place in the starting line up..

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 AM

Friskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
And, of course, best wishes to David Gregory for the start of the next chapter of his career. You often hear little whispers if one of the lads has stepped out of line or has not been giving 100% in training, but nobody has ever said anything like that about David. Which is a big credit to him considering he's been with the club for over a decade.
Nice bit in the local paper about him joining Cambridge. Would be great to see him win the battle he mentions and claim place in the starting line up..

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Gregory seems like a nice bloke so hopefully it will work out for him. Interesting that he says McCarthy is the best keeper that he trained with at Palace (not in that article).
Old 04-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friskey View Post
Gregory seems like a nice bloke so hopefully it will work out for him. Interesting that he says McCarthy is the best keeper that he trained with at Palace (not in that article).
In the piece I've done with him he says McCarthy has everything you want from a keeper at a relatively young age.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Let's Go Mariners!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
In the piece I've done with him he says McCarthy has everything you want from a keeper at a relatively young age.
McCarthy IS a good keeper. But as I have stated before he shouldn't have been thrust in to the first team like he was. I guess Al was hoping he would get through his slump, but his confidence got lower and lower as week after week he made mistakes.

He needed to go on Loan in January. Before Sporting Lisbon he had played two first team games in a year. He needs to go and play regularly for 3-6 months and get his confidence back, which is why I can see us signing another keeper and loaning him out. Jules as the third choice / back up.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Friskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think he'll turn out to be a fair bit better than Speroni was.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockles View Post
Tony Finnegan too, was managed by Billy Smith at Corinthian Casuals - in the same team as Pardew and Andy Gray I think.

Best of luck to him!
For some reason, I thought we got Finnegan from Fulham
Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Quote:
Except a decent attention span and game concentration ?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Contents May Vary

Robson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
It's been a while since we've blooded a centre back (Woozley and Sagi Burton the last two I think about 1999?)

The last one I thought looked tidy was Holland (I think at Bromley now?)
Didn't Sagi Burton come from Port Vale?
"Not only did the Palace fans sing and chant for the entire 90 minutes, but they stayed behind after the final whistle in order to express their gratitude to players and manager for their efforts. If this is a set of supporters headed for relegation, that is to the Championship's gain and the true detriment of the Premier League, where sterile atmospheres have become worryingly commonplace." - Football365
Old 04-06-2016, 12:48 PM

Zimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZimeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockles View Post

Best of luck to him!
I was playing for the Casuals at this time but can't remember Tony Finnegan being at the club. Mind you, I was in the veterans team by then so might have missed him.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:32 PM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
For some reason, I thought we got Finnegan from Fulham
Tony Finnigan certainly played for Fulham Reserves against Palace 5th March 1981. His number was 11. I do not think he signed for them. For the record Palace won 2-1 with goals from Steve Leahy and Gary Goodchild.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Morally devoid scum

danpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
McCarthy IS a good keeper. But as I have stated before he shouldn't have been thrust in to the first team like he was. I guess Al was hoping he would get through his slump, but his confidence got lower and lower as week after week he made mistakes.

He needed to go on Loan in January. Before Sporting Lisbon he had played two first team games in a year. He needs to go and play regularly for 3-6 months and get his confidence back, which is why I can see us signing another keeper and loaning him out. Jules as the third choice / back up.
I hope we don't give up on him yet