Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 26-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Surely it is more than just scoring, PV continues to play Jordan Ayew who has 1 goal in 50 games but even I can see why he does that.
I think you're kinda missing my point? I'm not talking about how good Spence is. It's when you take a young player on loan you should give them opportunities, otherwise what are you doing?

It's reasonable to give them a decent chance to impress. Getting on the field for at least 20-30 minutes.. not coming on in the 97th minute if at all. Especially considering the ages of their midfielders.

Spence has delivered in the very briefest of chances and yet was only given one start as a reward and was taken off when they were winning.. they ended up losing their lead after that so it just looks like poor management is limiting his opportunities.
Old 26-11-2021, 04:42 PM

Sp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is here
18s play Villa at home in the Premier League Cup tomorrow, 12:30pm.

23s play United away in the league, 12:00pm.

Neither streamed.
Old 26-11-2021, 04:49 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Phoenix View Post
I think you're kinda missing my point? I'm not talking about how good Spence is. It's when you take a young player on loan you should give them opportunities, otherwise what are you doing?

It's reasonable to give them a decent chance to impress. Getting on the field for at least 20-30 minutes.. not coming on in the 97th minute if at all. Especially considering the ages of their midfielders.

Spence has delivered in the very briefest of chances and yet was only given one start as a reward and was taken off when they were winning.. they ended up losing their lead after that so it just looks like poor management is limiting his opportunities.
I don't follow that at all. We are not giving Metata many opportunities and I wouldn't expect other teams to just play a loanee just because. Spence needs to prove he is good enough to get in the team week in, week out and he was given a chance when he started after he scored 2 in the cup game. I have to assume as I didn't see the league game that he didn't offer enough to play beyond 90 mins or start the next match. It is frustrating to see our players sitting on the bench in League Two but I have to think it is a way to weed out those who are going to make it at Palace and those destined for a lower league career.
Old 26-11-2021, 04:53 PM

Gazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle View Post
18s play Villa at home in the Premier League Cup tomorrow, 12:30pm.

23s play United away in the league, 12:00pm.

Neither streamed.

But U18 vs Spurs at 11am next Sat (4th Dec) i being streamed on Palace TV+
Old 26-11-2021, 10:41 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Ayew who has 1 goal in 50 games but even I can see why he does that.
PV was asked about that at today's press conference. Although the journalist tried to ask it politely, reading between the lines he clearly didn't see why he was being picked - hence the question.
Old 27-11-2021, 10:38 AM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I don't follow that at all. We are not giving Metata many opportunities and I wouldn't expect other teams to just play a loanee just because. Spence needs to prove he is good enough to get in the team week in, week out and he was given a chance when he started after he scored 2 in the cup game. I have to assume as I didn't see the league game that he didn't offer enough to play beyond 90 mins or start the next match. It is frustrating to see our players sitting on the bench in League Two but I have to think it is a way to weed out those who are going to make it at Palace and those destined for a lower league career.
Mateta is not really comparable to Spence. There has been no agreement or relationship made between Vieira and Mateta. Nor is the Premier League comparable to midtable life in Divison Three. You're old school so you probably hate the idea of EPL teams having different expectations to lower league teams but it's just a fact of life now.

You've made the assumption their manager is an excellent judge and the loanee his team recruited isn't good enough for even a 20 minute spell to give his 37 year old veteran a rest. If you look a bit closer it actually just looks like poor management which I consider to be a more likely explanation and the point of my original post.
Old 27-11-2021, 10:44 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Mateta is not really comparable to Spence. There has been no agreement or relationship made between Vieira and Mateta. Nor is the Premier League comparable to midtable life in Divison Three. You're old school so you probably hate the idea of EPL teams having different expectations to lower league teams but it's just a fact of life now.

You've made the assumption their manager is an excellent judge and the loanee his team recruited isn't good enough for even a 20 minute spell to give his 37 year old veteran a rest. If you look a bit closer it actually just looks like poor management which I consider to be a more likely explanation and the point of my original post.
Experiences like that of Spence makes it all the more clear (probably) why the suggestions that were made around Eze and now Ferguson going on loan to get their fitness back. EFL clubs have their own targets and goals and wouldn’t play a half fit PL young player just because of who he is anymore. Ferguson will be better served by getting fitness with the U23 team rather than going and training and then not playing in the EFL. In the 6 weeks before the window opens you would hope he has minutes under him belt here as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 27-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Lone Coyote

"Sion Spence certainly uses his time efficiently. In 206 minutes as a Rovers player, he has three goals and two assists to his name.

And these aren't stat-padding goals, these are match-winners."

Also pointed out that he turned down appearing for Wales U21 to focus on getting into the team. Not sure what more Bristol Rovers can ask for.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 27-11-2021, 11:12 AM
Not Tommy Robinson's Dad

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
U23s line up. Was half-expecting to see Ferguson on the bench but no worries.

Old 27-11-2021, 11:24 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hong_kong_hg View Post
U23s line up. Was half-expecting to see Ferguson on the bench but no worries.

More likely the next one on the 7th.

Old 27-11-2021, 11:30 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
"Sion Spence certainly uses his time efficiently. In 206 minutes as a Rovers player, he has three goals and two assists to his name.

And these aren't stat-padding goals, these are match-winners."

Also pointed out that he turned down appearing for Wales U21 to focus on getting into the team. Not sure what more Bristol Rovers can ask for.

Now you may be right and Spence is being hard done by (none of us will really know) but what you have done here is to take the words of a journalist because they appear to suit your argument, and give them more credence than the opinion of a football manager (and coaching team) who see the player every day in training.

This is Spence's first season in senior men's football, so it's not unreasonable for Rovers to introduce him gradually; there is still a massive difference between this and age group football, as evidenced by the Papa Johns trophy games.

Did Shakespeare forsee our new PM? “he's a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise-breaker, the owner of no one good quality"
Old 27-11-2021, 11:38 AM
Watching from Warmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Now you may be right and Spence is being hard done by (none of us will really know) but what you have done here is to take the words of a journalist because they appear to suit your argument, and give them more credence than the opinion of a football manager (and coaching team) who see the player every day in training.

This is Spence's first season in senior men's football, so it's not unreasonable for Rovers to introduce him gradually; there is still a massive difference between this and age group football, as evidenced by the Papa Johns trophy games.
I think Palace would have hoped “being introduced gradually” would be more than under 2 hours of play in 14 match day squads, and 7 not even on the bench.

Old 27-11-2021, 11:46 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
I think Palace would have hoped “being introduced gradually” would be more than under 2 hours of play in 14 match day squads, and 7 not even on the bench.
I'm sure they would, but equally they will know that he needs to earn it on the training ground, and that clubs won't just play a player simply because he's on loan from a PL team.

Did Shakespeare forsee our new PM? “he's a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise-breaker, the owner of no one good quality"
Old 27-11-2021, 11:49 AM
Watching from Warmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
I'm sure they would, but equally they will know that he needs to earn it on the training ground, and that clubs won't just play a player simply because he's on loan from a PL team.
Agreed, but we are talking Joey Barton as the manager here….maybe a poor choice in hindsight.

Old 27-11-2021, 12:04 PM

Sp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is here
1-0 JRS.
Old 27-11-2021, 12:06 PM
Not Tommy Robinson's Dad

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle View Post
1-0 JRS.
Blimey.
Anyone seen U18s line up?
Old 27-11-2021, 12:10 PM

Tom Heaton is goal for United.
Old 27-11-2021, 12:16 PM
Palace till I die

casinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcasinocolin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
1-1 sadly

Roy Hodgson our most successful PL Manager.

Malcolm Allison our greatest manager
RIP Big Mal

Steve Parish our greatest chairman.
Old 27-11-2021, 12:17 PM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
Is Rob Street injured?
Old 27-11-2021, 12:23 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Good to see Imray on the bench.